1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone regret getting the shortbed???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sparky73, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    Sparky73

Sparky73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB 4x4
    Famous Fabrication Sliders, Duratracs, Painted Grill, BHLM, Devil's Horns Emblem, Derp'd Badges, Wet Okole Covers
    I'm a long time Tacoma owner but a new guy here and have searched/researched all the SR5 vs OR vs Sport threads. My specific question is: Does anyone have the short bed and regret it?

I'm on the fence between a 2013 DCSB OR and a 2013 DCLB Sport. Definitely want the OR (prefer it to the Sport styling) but am having a hard time going to a 5 ft bed.

I just sold a 2007 Prerunner DCLB and used the LB for dirt bikes which I no longer have. Also used a Thule xSporter rack for SUP surfboards and I intend to install this on my new truck. The rack spacing was just about right on the LB but I fear they may be too close on the SB. Anyone use the same rack on a SB? I guess I could use 1 xSporter rack and a matching Thule roof bar but I prefer the bed rack.

I occasionally do some home repair/remodeling but can probably make do with a 5 ft bed and rack for this. Can always rent/borrow a trailer for big stuff.

Any similar experiences and opinions are greatly appreciated

2. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I couldn't deal with a 5' bed

Good luck with your choice OP

3. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I guess it all depends on what you use it for?

If you use it for work or camping then the long bed has more room. I do both.

If you use it to shop at the malls then a short bed would work.

I personally like the extra room and don't like how the short beds look. They just don't look right to me. Kind of like the whole ford side step beds they just look goofy.

4. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    Sometimes I wish I had a longer bed but then I see a long bed and realize how goofy they look.

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I had a short bed in my 2011...

It looked better empty, but I couldn't use it for anything that makes owning a truck practical. The longer bed looked silly to me when I bought the short bed, but grew on me.

My 2013 is a double cab long bed, and I couldn't be more content with my decision. The short bed was cool looking and I wanted the locker, but I never used and went for the Sport this go around.

If you like the styling of the OR, there's gonna be plenty of people that will swap out your color matched accessories for the chrome/black on their offloads.

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    They grow on you...and WAY more useful...

Plus, DCLB look better than the DCSB when lifted...

7. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I somewhat regret the short bed. I don't haul a lot of stuff but on occasion when I do it's been kind of a headache.

When I bought mine I wanted something smaller than my quad cab ram and the lb was barely any shorter. The. To top it off mine was the only one packaged the way I wanted.

Of course when I got I said I was going to buy a utility trailer so the idea didn't bother me. Still haven't bought the trailer btw.

8. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    tibadoe

tibadoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Gladys, VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma SR 4X4
    This is my first 5' bed. No problem for me but then again I have a 5' x 8' trailer if I need to carry items that won't fit in the short bed.
    My other truck had a 6' bed but with a crossover toolbox it was more like 4'8" - so no biggie. Get what you want.

9. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    And then there's this. I didn't figure I would lift. Now I have 5100's on the way.

10. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    No i don’t regret it at all! i have packed quite a bit of stuff in my DCSB. i like the looks of the SB more.

11. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Went through this last summer. They had the Sport LB with my name in the window, but part of me really wanted the locker. Actually looked at an OR that day. After looking at the two next to each other the choice was obvious for me. As stated earlier, if you want to get rid of the color match items, and more importantly the "skewp", there will be several people on TW that will be more than willing to make it worth your while. Good luck and sure you will make best decision for you.

12. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    outxider

outxider Never stop exploring. Rest in Paradise Big Bro.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sang
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4x4
    A few mods here and there and counting....
    Agreed! I picked up the short bed because it catered to my needs & personally, it looks better. If you feel you need the LB, get it.

13. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    1500$ and up for one foot more of bed?! Gimme a break.

14. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I regret the long box. Scrape everything offroad. High center myself all over. DCLB sure isn't made for wheelin. Depends on what you do with it. If you plan to wheel, go short box.

15. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    These 2nd generation d/c shortbeds are long enough as it is- there's no way i'd want one any longer... especially for offroad use. :eek:

16. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    2012whitetaco

2012whitetaco My other white toy vvvvv

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC SB TRD Offroad
    wet okole heated seat covers, weathertec floor mats, snugtop canopy, black westin tube steps
    In my home improvement days I had two different Ford F250 supercabs. I was tired of the long wheel base and went with the DCSB. The Tacoma just wouldn't be big enough whether it was a long bed or not. For me a utility trailer would have been a must when doing serious projects.

17. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I have to disagree with you on this, but to each their own. I like my short box, but on days where I have to take anything anywhere ill admit that it isnt very useable.

18. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Like the breakover angle of my DCSB, dislike the fact that my fishing poles won't lay flat in the bed. Overall though I don't think I'd trade for a LB, with a little ingenuity, the 5ft box works fine.

Here's my truck carrying 16ft(IIRC) hog panels. Yes it was sketchy, but I didn't have to drive it down a public road

[​IMG]

19. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    I typically run out of payload before I run out of room, and the DCSB has roughly 100lb more payload capacity. I'm pretty good at packing things in though. I built a rack for the boat and occasional long ladders or a bit of long lumber, and beyond that, trailer. In the end though, you have decide what you will be happy with, and how you will use the truck most of the time. I like my DCSB. I take it you are going with an auto tranny in either case?

20. Jan 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    senojeelnodnarb

senojeelnodnarb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oahu, HI /Canton, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR, 6-Spd Manual
    Fully De-Badged, Mossy Oak seat covers, Fog Light anytime mod, Custom Bed Light Bar, flowmaster 40 series, Plasti-Dipped Grille, Painted Stock TRD Rims, Custom Plate Bumper, High-Lift Bed Mount, Ballacula Trailer Plug Relocate, Rear Seat Dog Platform, sunglasses holder Switch panel, 2" lift, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, custom sliders, + a shit load more,
    Well you could get the long bed sport and ill trade you my OR hood for your sport one :)

Products Discussed in

To Top