Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

WHITE CRAP ON OIL CAP

Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
diesel30 is on a distinguished road

diesel30's Tacoma Gallery
WHITE CRAP ON OIL CAP

So I was farting around under the hood checking all of my fluids and I take my oil cap off and take a look. It seems to have what looks like white lithium grease on the underside of it. I then look down the filler tube and it is there too! Any ideas on what this is? My firs thought is somehow I have coolant leaking into the engine. Possibly from one of the tranny coolers. My truck only has 14k on it so I'm a little confused. Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
It's normal, just condensation and crap, likely from driving a lot of short trips.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^Those guys are spot on.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty common on these trucks, if you're not getting them hot (short trips). Keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels just in case though.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Pretty common on these trucks, if you're not getting them hot (short trips). Keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels just in case though.
Mine was like that with the factory fill oil. Short trips, and at least in the case of the V6, the long plastic filler tube, combine to create a nice place for condensation and other crap to collect. Even without a lot of short trips, I can see swarf coalescing in the relatively cool, high point of the oil system. I just cleaned it up and went about finishing the oil change.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
It's normal, just condensation and crap, likely from driving a lot of short trips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
Check your dip stick. If it looks normal you are fine. If it looks like milk shake your screwed.
They are correct.

The first time you find it... it can scare the shit out of you. Here is a good thread talking about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
Rule of thumb...Chocolate Milk = blown head gasket
Not for those in a colder climate. The oil filler neck builds up condensation during short trips and can leave a brown froth on the oil cap. Read the linked in post.

Frank
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #9

checked oil on dipstick and was squeaky clean. I did go on a short drive where it did not have very long to heat up and it was 30 out yesterday. no worries now!!! thanks!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #11

That's why I was a little shocked when I found it. I never had seen it in the summer months. Does make sense though. Especially with how the temps fluctuate here in Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Normal...

And pretty much only happens in the winter (in cold weather). Hence...condensation.

At least....on mine anyway. I never get the frothy white stuff in summer months.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
'06 4.0L 4x4 6-sp MT Access
Flugelhornjazz has a spectacular aura aboutFlugelhornjazz has a spectacular aura about
Flugelhornjazz's Tacoma Gallery
Cool milky film in the oil filler neck & cap

Been reading about this a lot lately. I have exactly the same situation, been happening since about I moved to New England from the West 6 years ago. I have learned that (1) the lack of moisture in the air in the West prevents the film from forming (at least in my truck) and (2) many motors with long filler necks away from the exhaust manifold do this, not just Toyota.

There is nothing wrong with this motor at 111,000 miles; no anti-freeze in the oil, no head gasket issues, no cylinder compression problems, the oil on the dipstick is perfect, etc.

Work is 3 miles away. All these short trips to & from work all week every week apparently encourages the film build-up because the engine isn't run long enough. Even if it is, there is enough moisture in the air in the mid-West to East coast that after the engine cools down, the "problem" still occurs. I always change the oil with the filter 2x a year/every 7k. I always use 100% synth and run the engine cleaner/kerosene before dumping the old crude. I get excellent oil mileage out of this engine. I top the oil < 1/4 quart between changes.

I have stopped worrying about the "look" of the filler cap. This machine is a work horse and takes everything I throw at her.