Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First alignment coming up...what to hit with penetrating lube?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
First alignment coming up...what to hit with penetrating lube?

Like the title says, I'm going to have the first alignment done since the truck was new. It really hasn't needed one, but some rough roads this past summer seem to have finally 'adjusted' it out of alignment.

I'm at 60,000 miles, give or take a few.

If I want to make the job easier on the alignment technician, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to hit the relevant nuts/bolts/adjusters/bushings with PB Blaster a week or so before I take it in.

So...what would be the most important parts to hit?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The LCA alignment cams / bolts

But having said that I bet they are all seized
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
And tie rods....
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that's it.

That being said, do it an hour before you go it. A week ahead of time is not necessary.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The LCA alignment cams / bolts

But having said that I bet they are all seized
Maybe he lives in Death Valley and they're pristine.
But I doubt it.

This would be a great time to have replacement LCA parts on hand so the (likely) trashed original parts can be removed, and the new ones installed with a heavy coat of thick grease. JKD, if you think rust will be a problem, you may as well assume OZ is correct and pick up the new parts.

You'll want to take a look at this.
And this.
Heck, this too.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Good links DoorDing.

Definitely good advice on bringing spare parts. The extra air time on the lift/labor will most likely supercede whatever cost the parts were. Plus - good to have it done right for the future.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pra4sno View Post
Good links DoorDing.

Definitely good advice on bringing spare parts. The extra air time on the lift/labor will most likely supercede whatever cost the parts were. Plus - good to have it done right for the future.
All credit goes to XXXX. He lived the adventure.

When I do a tire and/or suspension upgrade this year, I'll definitely be pulling the LCAs apart for some PM. I know I replaced control arm bushings in my beater '80 Chevy LUV 4X4, but I don't remember it being very difficult. I wonder what Toyota could do to improve the corrosion issue. Better plating? Factory grease slathering?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . . Sub'd
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I'll have to look over my platinum warranty really carefully before going in. If the truck is un-alignable without replacing parts, I'd hope the parts are covered.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately mine weren't covered by warranty. They call it a "wear" item, or some BS like that.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #11

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Took a while to get it in, but yep...siezed. They did the toe and told me to come back and leave it with them for a full day so they could try things to work it free. I'm spending a couple of weeks hitting the LCA mount points with PB Blaster before I take it in.

If they have to cut and replace parts, I'll be on the phone with Toyota customer service. If they're installed without lubricant (as they appear to be) they need to cover the cost of that manufacturing defect.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #12
For Love of Truck
Soft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to allSoft Taco is a name known to all

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Tyler
Soft Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Forget PB blaster. 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone in a spray bottle. Shake and spray. Works unbelievably well.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Took a while to get it in, but yep...siezed. They did the toe and told me to come back and leave it with them for a full day so they could try things to work it free. I'm spending a couple of weeks hitting the LCA mount points with PB Blaster before I take it in.

If they have to cut and replace parts, I'll be on the phone with Toyota customer service. If they're installed without lubricant (as they appear to be) they need to cover the cost of that manufacturing defect.
Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Taco View Post
Forget PB blaster. 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone in a spray bottle. Shake and spray. Works unbelievably well.
I've read about that mix in a few other places, too. I need to give it a try.