1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hit by a drunk driver !

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KJaikaran, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    the guy wasnt even arrested?

2. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The air bags are not designed or programmed to go off in a glancing type of collision as this was.

3. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    nope, the only thing they said they could have arrested him on was the suspended license, but that's only if his license had already been confiscated. So he just told them he didn't know and gave up his license.

4. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    JDR07

JDR07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR
    Duct Tape
    does your state cover diminished value on your truck? same thing happened to me and i got money to fix my truck and another check to pay for the value i lost due to my truck being in an accident...

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    Honestly, i am not sure. Deff something i am going to look into.

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    I don't think they were supposed to go off in this type of side swiping accident... I would want to get nailed by the side airbags in this situation... it wasn't enough inertia detected to go off

7. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i understand where you are coming from. i have family in law enforcement, and know 5+ officers very and i know more than that not as well. but it must be one hell of a busy night for every officer in the responding area to be tied up.

depending on if it was in the city limits or in the county. you could have mutable departments that could respond. (i.e, county, city and high way patrol.) FHP should be able to go since it’s on the roads. if it’s in the city limits either FHP or the city could respond. i’m going to say that it’s likely there is about 5 to 7 officers that could respond. imho there has to be a lot going that is more important than a posable DUI crash for it to take over 1h for them to respond.

now idk if OP said that the guy maybe DUI when he first called 911 or not. if he did that should put a faster rush on it than if it was just a small late night small crash and everyone was ok.

8. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    I actually didn't say anything about DUI when i called, at that point i didn't even talk to the guy yet he was just standing outside his car in a panic and thats what i told them. Ambulance arrived at the seen within a few min to make sure everyone was ok though.

9. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    oh ok. i did not know if you did or not.

10. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    cdthiker

cdthiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    WAY north Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma RC 4X4 5speed
    Point is.... your alive...
    I work EMS and have scraped too many victims off the road from the drunks....
    all the dispack is run by computers these days.... even if he had mentioned DUI of there was no Body injury.... its low priorty
    sad but true
    the syestem is flawed from the inside out. why does it take more then once DUI or OUI for your driving privlidges to go away?
    think about it...
    Its low priorty because we as a society have made it so.....

Glad your alright dude keep us posted on what the insurance process is like
    good luck

11. Jan 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    Glad to hear that you're ok, but unfortunate for your truck. Hopefully, your insurance would cover your aftermarket upgrades, but it's doubtful. You would be surprised as to what insurance companies would try to repair as opposed to writing it off as totalled. I owned a 2002 Nissan Frontier SVE before owning my Tacoma. I had a driver pull out in front of me causing me to collide with her. The impact twisted my frame and caused what seemed to be major damage. The insurance company wanted the repair shop to order a new frame and transfer as much from my truck over to the new frame. Luckily, the repair shop told the insurance company that they would refuse to do the work due to potential issues later down the road. Either way, I hope that things work out for you.

12. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    Too bad about the guy getting off the hook for that stuff. Hope your insurance works this out quickly.

I'm sure the officers had a good reason for taking that long. I know how it goes; boredom, boredom, boredom, and then every single person calls in at the same time. Its on dispatch to ensure they draw in from other departments to cover calls.

13. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    sorry man....sounds like you found a real winner to take you out. :( hope things work out for you, but i t's been my expierence with those lacking insurance, that you won't see a dime :(

14. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Worried about insurance covering your stuff? Why didn't you check with them BEFORE something like this happened?

15. Jan 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    :amen:

16. Jan 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    PhantomVirus

PhantomVirus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    People's Republic of NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White TRD OffRoad Double Cab
    Don't steal my tailgate Mod, Hardwired Valentine1 Radar Detector, Smitty N-FAB Nerf Bars, Led lights (Maps, overhead & rear License Plate), Debadged, TRD rim center covers, Replaced Chrome Grill with OEM Super White, PlastiDipped Toyota Logo on Grill BLACK, Distinct Offroad Custom light bar
    Firstoff - Sorry for your vehicular loss. At least you are OK.

I was rear ended in my BMW on a highway and my biggest regret was NOT going to the hospital - even for a 'check out'. Sometimes bad physical shit does not happen for a bit - I have severe spinal stenosis in my lower back but symptom did not onset for a month or so - had I gone to the E/R it would have at least been on record - your adrenalin is pumping like crazy when this type of stuff happens so it's possible that you could have some minor whiplash or a neck injury. If you don't feel right go to the hospital or Dr asap - don't wait.

BTW - as far as airbag deployment - I don't believe the ass end has any impact sensors they are in the nose & the sides of the cabin so the fact that the airbags did not deploy does not surprise me.

17. Jan 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    Never thought i would be in an accident of that level where rear suspension would be damaged that much. I have been in accidents before, but nothing to this level where aftermarket parts were damaged. The way i see it is that they would have to put on a new wheel/tire, and rear suspension anyways so i faxed over all my receipts over to my adjuster and i can only wait and see what they decide from that point. If they don't cover it its just another lesson learned.

18. Jan 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    Failure2Comply

Failure2Comply Old HVACR Tech

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Off Road TRD/SR5
    I am sorry your truck got wrecked and glad that you are not hurt. But we do not know the call log and the type of calls they were responding to. As bad as a traffic accident can be it is more important to have EMT/Fire Dept there to help anyone injured. The police could have been dealing with life and death situations at that time. I for one salute the brave men and women of our Police and Military. Thank God they have what it takes to do these tough, thankless jobs.

It damn sure isn't for the pay!

Products Discussed in

To Top