Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ordered 2013 SR5-what to steal off my TRD OR B4 trade in?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Checkvalve will become famous soon enough
Checkvalve's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered 2013 SR5-what to steal off my TRD OR B4 trade in?

Like the title says, have a 2013 SR5 coming in the next two months or so. I won't bother trying to remove the elocker unit, I'll just go ARB on this truck, but, what else should I snag before I trade in the TRD OR? It is an 08. I was thinking about the inverter and switch, that should be plug and play right? Anything else anyone can think of?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
yes, the inverter will be plug and play, theres a how to thread somewhere on here.

swap the trd seats into the new truck when you get it?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkvalve View Post
Like the title says, have a 2013 SR5 coming in the next two months or so. I won't bother trying to remove the elocker unit, I'll just go ARB on this truck, but, what else should I snag before I trade in the TRD OR? It is an 08. I was thinking about the inverter and switch, that should be plug and play right? Anything else anyone can think of?
Any aftermarket stuff is fair game, as long as there's no impact on what's left. Sliders or an aftermarket intake (re-install the OEM intake), for example. I wouldn't mess with any of the OEM equipment like the inverter, though. A 400W inverter is pretty cheap, and if you trash OEM options, it'll probably hurt your resale/trade-in value.

I wouldn't mess with the seats, either.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
The new SR5 seats are very good, anyways.

I tested out a few used Tacomas, and there was definitely a difference between the seats in the older SR5's and TRD's (05-11).

I tried out the SR5 and TRD seats in the 12-13's though, and aside from a SLIGHT difference in the fabrics, and some minor details in the way the foam is cut, I couldn't tell.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
rear axle, e locker components, and shocks.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
New truck will be spruce mica with sand interior, so my grey seats won't swap. Where is the inverter in the truck, under the seat? Anyone done this swap before? I assume the SR5 will have all the wiring, I'll just need the switch, the inveter, and the plug right?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
New truck will be spruce mica with sand interior, so my grey seats won't swap. Where is the inverter in the truck, under the seat? Anyone done this swap before? I assume the SR5 will have all the wiring, I'll just need the switch, the inveter, and the plug right?
I don't know about doing the swap but the inverter is under the console storage. Just pop off the shifter surround & there's 2 Phillips screws then pull the carpet out of the bottom of the storage & there's 2 10 mm bolts the just pull straight up.

Oh And spruce mica is a good choice
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Thanks. That should help me figure it out. I guess if the wiring isn't there on the new SR5, I could always sell it to someone on here.
As for the color, I think it is awesome. I can't wait for it to show up. Had to order it because the combo with sand (tan) is rare. My TRD OR now is dark blue, which I think is the next best color. Couldn't stand the six speed anymore or the 5 foot bed for camping. So have to make an SR5 into a off road machine on my own.

Thinking about accessories like bottle jack and stuff...any reason to have an extra one around? Also was thinking two extra tie down things for the bed rails would be nice. Any other ideas?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. That should help me figure it out. I guess if the wiring isn't there on the new SR5, I could always sell it to someone on here.

Thinking about accessories like bottle jack and stuff...any reason to have an extra one around? Also was thinking two extra tie down things for the bed rails would be nice. Any other ideas?
um, what about the next guy to own the truck?

Do you not think they might NEED the jack? What are you gonna do with the big hole left in the bed from the missing inverter?

Why screw the next guy over on things that should come with the vehicle?

Think of others, not just yourself!

Good luck explaining why its stripped when you sell/trade...

Would you buy something in the condition you are proposing to leave this truck in? Speaks to the society we live in today....its all me me me, f you.

Aftetmarket items are one thing, but stripping oem parts is just wrong...kinda like putting TRD stickers on an Sr5 and than selling it as a TRD at a premium.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Sparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
Sparky73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
um, what about the next guy to own the truck?

Do you not think they might NEED the jack? What are you gonna do with the big hole left in the bed from the missing inverter?

Why screw the next guy over on things that should come with the vehicle?

Think of others, not just yourself!

Good luck explaining why its stripped when you sell/trade...

Would you buy something in the condition you are proposing to leave this truck in? Speaks to the society we live in today....its all me me me, f you.

Aftetmarket items are one thing, but stripping oem parts is just wrong...kinda like putting TRD stickers on an Sr5 and than selling it as a TRD at a premium.
+1!!!

OP, Why strip an OR of OEM gear? If you didn't add it, don't pull it. Pull that inverter and I'll put $$$ down that the dealer outright refuses your trade in. If not, they will cut thousands of dollars off its value because it doesn't have the standard model's equipment and you did a hackjob stripping it. Is that worth a $150 inverter???

Please post back after your trade in experience. I'd like to hear how it goes.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I had never heard of someone stripping a perfectly good truck to trade in without the normal OEM components until now. Not saying it is wrong, but is it worth the trouble of having extra OEM crap sitting around to rot? I'd imagine the dealership would really nag you about that when you go to trade it in, as in lowball you on every little thing you pulled off.

To me unless whatever dealer you take it in to is willing to replace all the stuff you stripped out, they probably wouldn't accept the trade. Or give you a crap offer which it would deserve. TO them it probably isn't worth the trouble when some customer comes in and says, well where the hell is all the TRD features? and the dealer has to say "well the PO tore everything out".
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing .
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #13
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
So you think you can pull the diff apart/ remove the suspension components then just trade it in for full value? I don't follow.

I think when they see it roll in on a flat bed they will realize what has been done.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
I pointed all of that out earlier, but apparently was ignored. Let him figure it out the hard way, when a dealer screws him extra hard on trade-in value, or people pass it over because it's been dicked up. I don't understand the motivation, but it's his truck. Pain is a great teacher.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on not giving the dealer reasons to devalue the trade-in appraisal.

Aftermarket inverter is cheap.
OEM bottle jack is crap.
Floormat hooks are in different places.
Bed cleats - maybe
Fuel tank straps - maybe

Damn, pre-2009 Off Road package was a poorer value. No ATRAC, no flux capacitor subwoofer.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Nothing .
X2

Why are you trading in the 08 on a 13? Just curious, I just got my 08 the way I like it after 4 1/2 years.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
Wow. you guys jump to a lot of conclusions. Meh. Doesn't bother me. I get what I want in life by thinking ahead and going for it when I should and I've gotten far that way. PS I have done this on my last three trades for my BMWs and sold it all for a profit. Just a heads up, this is what EVERY used car dealer in the country does when they buy cars at auction. If you think that buying a car at a dealer means you must deliver them the same car they sold to you, maybe your efforts are spent looking for savings in other areas. This is one of many areas I choose to look for savings. The impact to my trade in value is negligible. It is already negotiated and done. They try to lower my trade, I make them lower the sales price. But none of that is necessary, trust me this is how I do it all the time. It isn't as big a deal as you think. They'd rather make the sale and put in a couple parts then let it all fall apart over what are a couple hundred dollars to them. As for why I'm trading in the 08, I hate the six speed, and I want a six foot bed to lie down in when camping. Also that color combo speaks to me...

Anyway, I've decided to take the following items off my truck before trade in:
1. Inverter system
2. Hitch cover plug
3. Rear floor mat thing from walmart that covers all back floor area
4. A few clips and screws under the hood that are doubled up but will come in handy if I need them sometime on the new truck for some reason.
5. Two of the tie down cleats
6. My bike holder for the bed rail system
7. Lighting kit for the ARB bumper if it will swap to the new style, still researching
8. LED interior lights

Okay going back to lurking mode now, too much typing for me
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
PS I never said anything about taking any suspension or diff parts out. I'm doing a lift on the new truck, and I'm pretty sure the first post said I was doing arb instead of an e locker. This might be the least favorite thread I ever started lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

Petty
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully the next potential owner spots all the missing stuff before they buy it! I know I wouldn't be happy about missing hood components or inverters.......