Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

About to pull the trigger on New Tacoma need some advice

Old 01-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Jfarris0702 is on a distinguished road
Jfarris0702's Tacoma Gallery
About to pull the trigger on New Tacoma need some advice

Hey guys I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first Tacoma. I'm downsizing from my f150 and going back to just 1 vehicle. I'm looking at a 4wd TRD sport double cab but I'm not sure if I should just go for the Prerunner or not. My f150 is 4wd but I've only needed it once. I prefer the look of a 4x4. Can you lift the prerunners the same as a 4wd? Will they still be the same height and accommodate the same size tire? The prerunner is also appealing because I would save some money. If I can lift the prerunner and achieve the look I'm after that may be the route I go. Just need some advice from the gurus.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner is the exact same as a 4x4, just lacking the actual 4x4 parts.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
dsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DSJ
dsjones5's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
I have a 2011 prerunner trd sport and absolutely love it. I didnt have a need for 4wd so i saved some money there. Honestly you'll be surprised how capable these little 2wd trucks are. You can do pretty much do anything to a prerunner that you wanted to do to a 4x4. The prerunners are identical to the 4x4 minus the 4x4 components. And you can lift the prerunners easier because you dont have to worry about harming the front cv axles.

But you will love either one. I hope this helped and good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the same boat, i hardly ever use 4x4 when i haf my dodge so i got the prerunner the times i do go offroad i have people with me just incasd
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
The old adage of 'to have it and not need it is far better than to need it and not have it' comes to mind. I'd go 4wd every time, but I live in Alaska. Get the truck you need for every circumstance the first time.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
Yes you can lift the Prerunner as you would the 4wd. As far as I know, my 2010 DC TRD Sport Prerunner has the same suspension as a 2010 TRD 4wd.
Search Toytec, Icon, OME lifts and many more and you will find countless options.