Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Time Off Road ( Big pile of Fail )

Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Southern California too, does that mean one can't drive out of the city and have some recreation with the truck? You live just an hour or two from great areas for 4WD and the desert...

As for tires that work in mud... and are all terrain, not noisy mud tires, and are cheap: Hankook Dynapro ATM.

Also, when you get stuck again in 2WD, deflate your tires! Seriously will make a difference... also adding weight over the drive axle to add to the traction. Press the VSC button quickly for AUTO LSD, or better is the locker.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
do us a favor? only go off-road in park areas marked for off-road vehicles? other folks might want to enjoy the meadow.

Howard
+1
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
If you really wanna see what your truck can do, head out with us a few times to our local wheelin' spots. A few members of our OC Tacos group are Prerunners, some of them TRD Sports w/o the locking diff, and I'm VERY impressed that none of them have ever gotten stuck or left behind.

Check out the SoCal section for more info on meetups and wheelin' trips. We tend to stay away from regional parks
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #24
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I've been to Craig Park many times although not recently. Is that the over flow unpaved parking on the very end of the park?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
digitaLbraVo is on a distinguished road
digitaLbraVo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
If you really wanna see what your truck can do, head out with us a few times to our local wheelin' spots. A few members of our OC Tacos group are Prerunners, some of them TRD Sports w/o the locking diff, and I'm VERY impressed that none of them have ever gotten stuck or left behind.

Check out the SoCal section for more info on meetups and wheelin' trips. We tend to stay away from regional parks
I'm gonna guess that means you guys are noobie friendly? I've driven on dusty roads but that's probably the extent of my fun times out.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
See thread on mall crawling.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #30
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB27 View Post
It was a open area with half dead grass and mud with tracks already all over it.. its a path for utility vehicles. What do you think trails were before people started off roading through them?

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that. I was just curious what peoples input was on my predicament. Haha.
Looked from the pic like a nice meadow with green grass. So why were you trying to cut a new path across it? Got legs? If you want to explore, get your ass out of your truck.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #31
JayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jason
JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
Lmao. Look at all these people flaming. it was not a " meadow " its a path the go's toward a drainage ditch and an abandoned building in the back where you cant go.. And i didn't get stuck... Just when i relized I couldnt make it i backed out. haha.. Relax guys.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
JayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the rough

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post

Yeah i will definentaly have to join you guys.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #33

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
First truck I ever owned. Owned it for a few months.. I saw some mud.. Looked interesting.. Lol
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #34

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
I've been to Craig Park many times although not recently. Is that the over flow unpaved parking on the very end of the park?
Yes it is. Its just all muddy and hasn't been used in... years...
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #35
Sparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
Sparky73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lmao. Look at all these people flaming. it was not a " meadow " its a path the go's toward a drainage ditch and an abandoned building in the back where you cant go.. And i didn't get stuck... Just when i relized I couldnt make it i backed out. haha.. Relax guys.
Not slamming you but I think the forum's general sensitivity is the bad rap that offroaders get and the dwindling areas that we can legally 4 wheel. I'm not familiar with the area you're in but tearing up green grass in a park is bad press for the offroad community. It can be used in arguments to close or limit access to offroad areas. "Tread Lightly" is the mantra, right?

That being said, I know exactly how tempting fresh mud can be......
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #36

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky73 View Post
Not slamming you but I think the forum's general sensitivity is the bad rap that offroaders get and the dwindling areas that we can legally 4 wheel. I'm not familiar with the area you're in but tearing up green grass in a park is bad press for the offroad community. It can be used in arguments to close or limit access to offroad areas. "Tread Lightly" is the mantra, right?

That being said, I know exactly how tempting fresh mud can be......
Well like i said. I've owned my truck a few months. DIdn't know there were designated off roading zones... I've always owned cars. and my motorcycle. But, now i know that.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #37
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a fucking road to me...
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #38

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
looks like a fucking road to me...
Yeah, Cuz it is a road. Lol. it's actually and off road parking lot. It just hasn't been used in a while. Theres a paved ditch right next to it.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #39

JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
I guess i could have mentioned that the first picture was how it looked before I attempted to go up it..
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #40
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I won't be going off roading much. But, When I do. I would like to actually be able to... I may trade this back in and get a 4x4. Doubt it.. But it's possible.. Although I did notice better traction when i hit the rear locker on. Should i have been in a different gear? I was just in Drive..
Do it, you won't be sorry. I live up north so forgive me if I sound ignorant, I've just never saw the purpose in a 2wd pickup truck, even if I lived down south where they never get snow, I'd still have a 4x4 truck. The gas mileage between a prerunner and 4x4 is not phenomenal enough to matter anyway. Be warned though, with a 4x4, you will be largely tempted to mod the shit out of it, especially hanging around here.