Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Battery terminal bolt stuck...HELP!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
Battery terminal bolt stuck...HELP!

I'm trying to wire fog lights and attach the positive wire to the battery terminal. Problem is it is tight as SHIT!!!! The clamp just spins around and digs into the post on the battery. I disconnected it and tried vice grips but the metal starts to bend and I can't get a good grip on this damn bolt. How can I get this thing off? Pic is just a random one I got off the internet but thats the bolt I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery terminal bolt stuck...HELP!-50433d1214178676-fuse-battery-terminal-img00072.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Backinblack03's Tacoma Gallery
Can you gently put a little torch heat on it and give it a quick twist with a strike of a hammer on your wrench/ratchet? The shock will usually break it loose and the heat will soften any threadlocker that may be there from the factory...
Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Why won't a socket fit on it? ViceGrips are not really meant to remove bolts, they do more damage than good.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
ELECTRIC IMPACT

Real quick and easy
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
I tried a socket, it just spins around on the battery post. I will soak it in some PB blaster I guess...kind of afraid to go at it with the torch with all the wires and rubber around there.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTaco914 View Post
ELECTRIC IMPACT

Real quick and easy
I'd try the impact too. All you need it a bit or resistance on the other end and it should pop loose.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
The bolt head on the other side is spinning. Hold it with something then try loosing the nut.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
remove the battery terminal from battery....
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
samiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
samiam's Tacoma Gallery
Try putting a pipe over the end of your ratchet to increase leverage.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
are all you people nuts?
going to have the guy ruin his terminal......
also op
just put your + wire to battery bolt instead and be done.....
don't use a torch or a lever
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
samiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to beholdsamiam is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sam
samiam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
are all you people nuts?
also op
It worked for me. That is a crazy tight bolt.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #13
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
are all you people nuts?
also op
Wish i saw this last night. I finally got the bolt off. I put 10mm wrench on the small bolt and wedged it against the battery to keep it from turning on the terminal. Then i could really torque on the bolt and it broke loose. Them found out the round end was too small for the bolt so i ended up putting it on the small side bolt anyway. Damn it! Thanks for the help. Now i just gotta get the dash done.