Notices

Educate me please

Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
CASH is on a distinguished road
Marines: Aviation Ordnance
Name: Bob
CASH's Tacoma Gallery
Educate me please

I'm in the market for a new(er) truck. Seriously considering a Tacoma. I'm moving on from a 2001 Z71 with 182,000 miles. It been a great truck and I love it, but it's time move on to a younger model.

Anyway, I drove a 2011 DCSB TRD Sport 2WD with the locking rear differential the other day. I really liked the truck, it's clean, green, and has all the maintenance records.

My question is, how do the 2wd Tacoma's with the locking rear diff do off road? I don't do any off roading other than when I'm hunting. (Which is a lot). I don't always need 4wd, but there are a few places I go that I need the 4wd when the red clay is nice and wet.

So, is the TRD 2wd a viable option or just stick with 4wd?

Thanks
CASH
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
I would look into the DCSB TRD OFFROAD model, aka rear locking differntal prerunner which is a 2wd. I have that exact model and with my lift for ground clearnce, it does great. Only time Ive been stuck was going through ruts in reverse on an incline, and stopping in the soft sand without airing down tires. 4wd is just extra parts to break if its not needed. And Im also a hunter and we have some nasty dirt roads I go through all the time without a problem. Just keep constant speed through the rough stuff.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
well I cant speak so much for the 2wd folks on here but Ive been extremely happy with my 4x4. But, bone stock, these trucs are excellent. Now I've needed my 4wd a few times, but most of the time I can get out with my locker.
I think it will really come down to your own opinion. These trucks are mighty capable, but if you think every few months while you hunting you might get stuck and need a pull, it might be better to hold out for a 4x4.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...y-insight.html 4wd Probz in the making.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggo View Post
4wd, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
^^ and that
Old 01-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
If you hunt, you'd be crazy not to go with a 4x4.

But...you don't have to go with a TRD. An SR5 4x4 is also a real nice truck.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
CASH is on a distinguished road
Marines: Aviation Ordnance
Name: Bob
CASH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
The Sport package does not have a locking rear differential, at least not from factory. Only the Off-road package does.
Thank you for bringing that up. Went back and looked at the truck and you would be correct. Getting the models mixed up from looking at so many different trucks.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
4x4