1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Window Latch Part.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Runn0r, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jan 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM
    Runn0r

Runn0r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    So, the idiot who owned my 07 truck before me, thought it was a good idea to break off the (grab-lip) that the rear sliding window clamps onto. I have tried looking through google to find this part but no success thus far. It appears the part is normally secured by a bracket and 3M tape. Anyone have any info on fixing this/where to get the part? Photo attached.

latch.jpg

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  2. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Sounds like a dealer part.

At least see them to get a part # then maybe google that.

3. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
  4. Jan 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    Maniac9230

Maniac9230 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sayreville, New jersey
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
  5. Jan 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    Runn0r

Runn0r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find. I might just put a solid one in, although I do like the rear open when its warm.

6. Mar 13, 2016 at 10:21 AM
    TacomaINprogress

TacomaINprogress New Member

Member:
    Reviving an old thread but my window latch is also missing exactly like this from previous owner. Does anyone know what part number I need?

7. Mar 13, 2016 at 11:44 PM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    You will have to replace the whole window. Toyota does not sell that part separate. The only thing that broke in my Tacoma was that stupid window latch at about 40K. I have since used two 3/8'' dowels in the window rails as a lock and a bump stop. I think I still have that piece, but I have no idea how you would reinstall it without it breaking again after so many uses. Horrible design.

8. Mar 14, 2016 at 12:25 AM
    DustStorm4x4

DustStorm4x4 BBC 2020

Member:
    U S A
    Vehicle:
    04 Jeep LJ
    :rofl:
    I love that you deliberately put "wtf" with an arrow pointing to the missing part

tomwil and mahaloTaco like this.
  9. Mar 15, 2016 at 9:24 PM
    yautja01

yautja01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    NAVIKS satnav motion lock-out disabler. Stant locking gas cap.
    Can anybody tell me where to get the screws for this? Or what the size of the screws are? I just need the screws, I can N*****rig the rest of it. My 2011 Tacoma has the same issue. One of the screws backed out over time, then the double stick tape fatigued over time, finally one good close of the window snapped the head off of the 2nd screw. Now I need 2 screws that fit. I have gorilla tape for the adhesive part. Toyota dealers are worthless for shit like this. I have the 6 year 60,000 mile warrantee and the dealership doesn't want to cover it. The fix would be so easy, just need the factory screws. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

10. Mar 15, 2016 at 9:36 PM
    Taco Pete626

Taco Pete626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 5-spd (Sold )
    - Undercover Flex tonneau cover - Pop N Lock tailgate lock - Weathertech DigitalFit floor liner - Sick Speed Ol' Skool white shift knob - Bench seat mod - Wiper mod - Cruise control mod
    They are self tapping screws, not sure what thread but they were medium coarse. On mine the threads were stripped. Next best thing is to try and go oversize, but there isn't a whole lot of material.

11. Mar 15, 2016 at 9:40 PM
    yautja01

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Mine are not stripped, one backed out (probably from vibration and me opening and shutting the window hard) and the other's head snapped off. I just need the factory sized screws.

12. Jun 28, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    gunslinger201

gunslinger201 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport Tacoma
    Stock
    Gonna try to revive a really old thread (and mods, let me know if I need to start a new one) but has anyone successfully repaired their rear window when this happens? Both the small screws are stripped, one is missing and I've tried everything I can think of to get it back together. It'll hold for a month or two but the summer heat in South Florida takes it's toll on adhesives... Love to fix and forget this thing.

13. Jun 28, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    yautja01

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Okay, I fixed mine by finding slightly coarser and longer screws and with 3m double sided adhesive strips. And don't worry, I live in Arizona where it's 100 degree heat with low humidity most of the time and it held better than the original setup. The trick is to clean all the old adhesive off of both mating surfaces really well, apply the double sided adhesive strips to one surface, and mate them with the screw holes lined up. at that point you will need to find screws as close to the size you have or very slightly coarser and very slightly longer (I had to order them on ebay) and then screw them in with a drop of superglue on the screw threads.

The screws are NOT available from Toyota, and neither are any of the parts. the whole REAR WINDOW ASSEMBLY comes as one part.

I have since traded my 2011 Tacoma Sport in on a 2017 Tacoma Off-Road with the power rear window. MUCH better setup than the 2011.

Good luck, and remember, clean all that old glue off with rubbing alcohol.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Jun 28, 2018 at 9:32 AM
    gunslinger201

gunslinger201 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport Tacoma
    Stock
    Thanks mate. Was thinking about getting different screws, but as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, there isn't a lot of material to play with. I've left it alone for long enough - time to get back out there and fix it once and for all. Thanks again.

15. Sep 21, 2021 at 1:21 PM
    colinj

colinj New Member

Member:
    And another bump for this topic. I have a 2019 Tacoma and the same part of the latch for the back window is missing.

If someone could post a picture of the part itself installed so I can get a rough idea of what it should look like I'm sure I can work up something that can spit out the part on a 3D printer.

Please and thank you

colin j.

Products Discussed in

To Top