Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dealership has some splainin' to do.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
2011whitetaco is on a distinguished road
2011whitetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad you aren't in Canada! I'm a Toyota salesman and I would have helped you out! The TCUV inspection is extremely thorough up here and those things should have been caught no matter what!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Arent the trd(bilstein) shocks/struts claimed to
Be good for 100,000 miles?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
I would sell back that warranty since you got hosed. If you search on here you will find posts of dealers offering flat pricing on the toyota extended warranties which are much lower.

Make sure the dealer does not process the repairs under your warranty because you will not be able to return it after it has been used.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-warranty.html

Certified used warranties through TFS can only be purchased at the time of vehicle purchase unlike a new Toyota which you can shop around before the 3yr/36 months are up.

Certified used warranties through TFS are more expensive than a warranty for a new vehicle.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #24
Crème fraîche.
ScissorMeTimbers is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Staff Sergeant - Electronic Warfare
Name: Matt
ScissorMeTimbers's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011whitetaco View Post
Too bad you aren't in Canada! I'm a Toyota salesman and I would have helped you out! The TCUV inspection is extremely thorough up here and those things should have been caught no matter what!
haha dangit! I'm hoping the salesmen will be just as cool on Saturday, I'll post an update with what they end up doing for me.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #25
520Toyota is on a distinguished road
Name: C.V.
520Toyota's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 100% positive Toyota certified already have the Toyota warranty. Example, 08 tacoma with 82k will have a remaining warranty of 3 years and 18k which ever comes first. The 100k 7 years is the warranty that comes with all Toyota certified vehicles. I bought a Toyota certified 2002 4runner back and April 2006. It had 75k on it and at 80k, Toyota replaced the water pump for $50 ($50 was the warranty deductible) because the remaining warranty still had 3 more years and 20k, which ever comee first. In my opinion, if it's a Toyota certified, buying the extra extended warranty is a waste of money.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you know how to check the shocks yourself, or were shown obvious problems like leakage, I would get a third opinion on them (should be free?) before returning to the selling dealer. It is possible (somewhat unlikely unless abused) that all four are "blown" but also possible that they were trying to sell you something your truck didn't need. A non-biased third party opinion would be very valuable before you start battling with the dealer in vain.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Arent the trd(bilstein) shocks/struts claimed to
Be good for 100,000 miles?
I've never seen a claim like that, and if I did, I'd be highly skeptical of it. I've driven on 100k shocks, and they generally suck. People get used to the slowly degraded performance, and only notice how bad the old shocks were after they've been replaced. I can see a non-transferable warranty to 100k, since the manufacturer would be betting that the vehicle would pass to another owner before a claim would be made.

OP, get another inspection done so you'll have two separate shops reporting the same issues. Also, try the polite-but-firm approach before turning your wife loose.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #28
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Unless you know how to check the shocks yourself, or were shown obvious problems like leakage, I would get a third opinion on them (should be free?) before returning to the selling dealer. It is possible (somewhat unlikely unless abused) that all four are "blown" but also possible that they were trying to sell you something your truck didn't need. A non-biased third party opinion would be very valuable before you start battling with the dealer in vain.
Agreed.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
Crème fraîche.

Progress at the dealership

Dealership has had my truck since Saturday and they gave me the "all clear" call and told me to come pick it up. Unfortunately they only thought they had to fix the mechanical issues addressed so I told them to take it back to replace my windshield (2 rock chips), missing backseat headrest, and my truck bed is slanted to the right (thought new rear shocks would fix it but didn't). They did say my front struts we're okay and my belt was fine. I'm still thinking i'll take it to a 3rd party and get a 100 point inspection just to make sure.

The things they did fix (free of charge) we're the following:

1. New battery and installed battery clamp
2. New intake filter
3. Replaced 5 swollen/cracked lug nuts
4. New L/R rear shocks p/n 48530-49340
5. New L/R front sway bars links p/ 48810-04010 & 48820-04020
6. Replaced two front axle seals
7. New rear brakes (shoe/drum)
8. Installed a cabin air filter

At first they didn't want to take the blame for these problems. Fortunately I married a Puerto Rican woman and as soon as my wife mentioned "court" and threatened to stab people, they immediately started asking how they can resolve this problem.

I'll update again when everything is said and done.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
^ you sir need to tell your wife you love her tonight And then hide all of the knives in your house
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScissorMeTimbers View Post
Dealership has had my truck since Saturday and they gave me the "all clear" call and told me to come pick it up. Unfortunately they only thought they had to fix the mechanical issues addressed so I told them to take it back to replace my windshield (2 rock chips), missing backseat headrest, and my truck bed is slanted to the right (thought new rear shocks would fix it but didn't). They did say my front struts we're okay and my belt was fine. I'm still thinking i'll take it to a 3rd party and get a 100 point inspection just to make sure.

2. New intake filter

At first they didn't want to take the blame for these problems. Fortunately I married a Puerto Rican woman and as soon as my wife mentioned "court" and threatened to stab people, they immediately started asking how they can resolve this problem.

I'll update again when everything is said and done.
I hope you got a really good deal on that truck. I've seen a lot of lug nuts, but I don't remember any swollen or cracked ones. Add in destroyed shocks and the rest, and it seems like it was beat on pretty hard.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #33
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScissorMeTimbers View Post

2. New intake filter
I don't think Lug Nuts can Swell. I've never seen any and I'm an old bastard.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #34
Crème fraîche.

I had never heard of swollen lug nuts before but apparently it's a real thing.

It was a Ford dealership but the original Tacoma I wanted had sold so they checked their inventory which included any car from their other dealerships under the same name and found this one certified at a Toyota dealership. Technically Ford sold it to us but it was Toyota's screw up so they are paying for all the fixes.

I paid $22.9k for the 08 DCSB Off-Road TRD w/ 80k miles. Price includes a little negative equity ($1k) and a 42month/40k warranty which isn't being used for these repairs. Glad I bought the warranty though.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #35
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Hi old bastard,

Me too!

Some lug nuts have a chrome cap pressed over the steel. Moisture and road salt can penetrate causing corrosion leading to swollen nuts.

Same thing happens with powder coated steel here in the rust belt. The powder coat doesn't flake off like paint and holds the salt and moisture in contact with the steel for long periods of time, makes the steel look like its "delaminating".

Jim
Old 01-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #36
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Hi old bastard,

Me too!

Some lug nuts have a chrome cap pressed over the steel. Moisture and road salt can penetrate causing corrosion leading to swollen nuts.

Same thing happens with powder coated steel here in the rust belt. The powder coat doesn't flake off like paint and holds the salt and moisture in contact with the steel for long periods of time, makes the steel look like its "delaminating".

Jim
That makes sense, but the nuts aren't swollen, it is the cap or powder coat.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #37
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Actually it is the nuts. Its the steel of the nuts and the cap that oxidizes from the moisture and corrosive salt trapped by the chrome/copper plating. Anyway that's splitting hairs 'cause the cap is part of the nut.

Jim
Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpgillespie View Post
Reasons such as this is why I spent the extra money to buy new. It's worth it to me.
this

If I was needing used, I'd get the crappiest used car ever for cheap.

then work with my savings to eventually buy new

going used for a primary vehicle...is a crapshoot really

keep warranty !!!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
Crème fraîche.

Bought the truck 1 Jan 2013, finally got it back for hopefully the final time today. 29 Jan 2013. I've put more miles on the loaner vehicle they gave me then the actual truck itself over the past month. Everything seems to be fixed, they even got the temp/compass working again and all of it was free of charge. The dealership is still garbage though and will never be going back or recommending them to anyone. They pulled my truck up to me today and as I was doing my own little inspection and noticed a bunch of bush light cans in my truck bed with some empty energy drinks...the dealership says some kids probably came through and did it. I called bullshit and threatened to bring my wife back into the equation. Honestly I feel like they should make my first payment considering they had the truck more this month than I did.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Notify Toyota directly.