Notices

Dealership has some splainin' to do.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Crème fraîche.
ScissorMeTimbers is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Staff Sergeant - Electronic Warfare
Name: Matt
ScissorMeTimbers's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Dealership has some splainin' to do.

I got my Tacoma on 1 Jan 13 and have enjoyed everything about it so far. I had forgotten to ask the dealer for a oil change when I got it so I took it to my local Jensen Tire and Auto to get it done and it wasn't too bad but after what felt like the longest oil change/tire rotation/14 point inspection (1.5hours) the guy came back to give me bad news.

1. Both front struts are blown
2. Both rear shocks are blown
3. No cabin air filter
4. crazy dirty air intake filter
5. BATTERY NOT STRAPPED DOWN, literally nothing holding my battery down...wtf, probably something I should have noticed at the dealership but honestly who looks at that (if you do, don't say anything!)

Needless to say, wasn't very happy especially considering my vehicle was considered "CERTIFIED USED" from Toyota. Got my appointment for them to fix it all on Saturday and free rental car.

I was considering selling back my 4yr/42k mile extended warranty for an extra $2.5k but now that this is happening I think I might hold onto it, what do you guys think? Keep the warranty? 08 DCSB Off-Road TRD w/ 82k miles.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I would def keep the warranty if you have already paid for it. You knew it going in that it was a used truck and things happen. I'm not saying that the other stuff should not have been fixed first but other things can happen.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
StickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
StickShifty's Tacoma Gallery
maybe this?? vvvvvv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0hm1wiZeU

video makes me wonder what goes through people heads
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
They were probably saying "Oh Shit" in their head while they did that.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ I honestly dont get why some people are so hell bent on jumping their stock trucks like that?!?! Even with good lift kits our trucks ARE NOT meant to be jumped by any means!! Now once you go mid/long travel and spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a whole new suspension setup then yes, you can most likely jump it then.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShifty View Post
maybe this?? vvvvvv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0hm1wiZeU

video makes me wonder what goes through people heads
That guy's a member on here. I think his name is relik.

Did you not test drive the truck before you bought it? You would have known if all 4 shocks were blown. Even if you didn't test drive it, you would have known the second you drove off the lot. Make sure the shop knows what they're talking about and not just blowing smoke up your ass.

The battery tie down and cabin air filter would be good to have. The cabin air filter isn't necessary though, but should have been checked before you bought it by the selling dealership.

The air filter should have been changed also but a dirty filter filters the air better than a clean filter so no harm done to your engine.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
holy crap.. .certified with 82k on it? well, at least your warrenty will fix those items..
Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
As for the warranty, there will be different opinions. But I don't see a problem if they are fixing everything?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it had to be less than 60k miles to be "certified". Maybe that has changed though.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Crème fraîche.

Not sure how many miles for it to get "certified" but it definitely doesn't meet the criteria regarding quality.

http://www.toyotacertified.com/inspection.html

^^should have caught all the problems from the start^^
Old 01-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Mpgillespie is on a distinguished road
Army: Blackhawk Helicopter Mechanic
Mpgillespie's Tacoma Gallery
Reasons such as this is why I spent the extra money to buy new. It's worth it to me.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
I know at my dealer that I work at we don't sell "Toyota Certified" anything if it has over 36k miles on it. After that it's just a regular used car.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
when I bought my tacoma december '11 it was "certified"
nearly had to take toyota of temecula to court because they sold it to me with a bent front right knuckle.
If your experience is anything close to mine I have a few suggestions (not that you have to take it but I would not want my worst enemy to have to go through what I did) so here's just my advice:
1) get the write up from the shop you went to and get there notes on what was wrong with the truck
2) keep a phone log of every time you talk to the dealership (anyone, even if its just the receptionist that directs your calls and then tells you so-and-so is not in that day)
3) read over the contract you signed. Its ~160 if I remember correctly check list. read each one, and make note of anything that it does not comply with
4) look to see if your state has a "car buyers bill of rights", California does= more legal back up.
5) do your own detailed look-around the truck, and I mean detailed. test ever button/switch and feature you have. Check the spare, crawl under that sucker and check the frame, and use the 160 point list to see what you should look at too.

In the end if they piss and moan, threaten to take them to court and name off what they have violated.
it took me 8 months, and the screaming at the boss of T. of Temecula on the phone while threatening a lawsuit to get my truck fixed. But once they knew I was serious, my truck was fixed within a week.

Good luck to you.
If you want to look at the full story I made a "I'm mad" thread here.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScissorMeTimbers View Post

I was considering selling back my 4yr/42k mile extended warranty for an extra $2.5k but now that this is happening I think I might hold onto it, what do you guys think? Keep the warranty? 08 DCSB Off-Road TRD w/ 82k miles.
for me...the cost of a 2,500 dollar warranty would depend on the purchase price.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
I would sell back that warranty since you got hosed. If you search on here you will find posts of dealers offering flat pricing on the toyota extended warranties which are much lower.

Make sure the dealer does not process the repairs under your warranty because you will not be able to return it after it has been used.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-warranty.html
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Crème fraîche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
when I bought my tacoma december '11 it was "certified"
nearly had to take toyota of temecula to court because they sold it to me with a bent front right knuckle.
If your experience is anything close to mine I have a few suggestions (not that you have to take it but I would not want my worst enemy to have to go through what I did) so here's just my advice:
1) get the write up from the shop you went to and get there notes on what was wrong with the truck
2) keep a phone log of every time you talk to the dealership (anyone, even if its just the receptionist that directs your calls and then tells you so-and-so is not in that day)
3) read over the contract you signed. Its ~160 if I remember correctly check list. read each one, and make note of anything that it does not comply with
4) look to see if your state has a "car buyers bill of rights", California does= more legal back up.
5) do your own detailed look-around the truck, and I mean detailed. test ever button/switch and feature you have. Check the spare, crawl under that sucker and check the frame, and use the 160 point list to see what you should look at too.

In the end if they piss and moan, threaten to take them to court and name off what they have violated.
it took me 8 months, and the screaming at the boss of T. of Temecula on the phone while threatening a lawsuit to get my truck fixed. But once they knew I was serious, my truck was fixed within a week.

Good luck to you.
If you want to look at the full story I made a "I'm mad" thread here.
Thank you for the advice, my wife is Puerto Rican and crazy so she is going to take the truck in on Saturday to do some knife fighting for me...she is already looking up laws and all that to help so she can threaten to take them to court.

They still have the vehicle posted on their website which is strange when I first looked at it the price was $24777 now it's $23988, I got it for $22k w/ the warranty.

http://toyotaoflavista.calls.net/La-...ruck/14533681/
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That guy's a member on here. I think his name is relik.

Did you not test drive the truck before you bought it? You would have known if all 4 shocks were blown. Even if you didn't test drive it, you would have known the second you drove off the lot. Make sure the shop knows what they're talking about and not just blowing smoke up your ass.

The battery tie down and cabin air filter would be good to have. The cabin air filter isn't necessary though, but should have been checked before you bought it by the selling dealership.

The air filter should have been changed also but a dirty filter filters the air better than a clean filter so no harm done to your engine.

Most people would probably look at what you said about a dirty air filter filtering in air better then a clean one and be like

Whatchu talking bout willis?!

I know where you are getting at though and yes you are indeed right. Lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
My 05 Tacoma did not come with a cabin filter either. Some dealers certify the truck and deny the technician's recommendations during the time of check over. Now when the customer brings the vehicle back for needed repairs, the warranty company is responsible for the repairs, rather than the dealer back when it was on the lot. Take it in and they will take care of it.