Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Preparing for 315's....

Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Preparing for 315's....

Thanks to some other members that have already done similar mods, I've begun hacking away at my fenders to begin preparing for some 35's. Finished the rears. Hopefully start on the fronts in a few weeks.

Basically, just used a jigsaw to cut 3" out of both the plastic flare, and metal fender. To give the flare a bit more support than just the plastic clips, I epoxied some of the cutout parts of the flare onto the inner side of it, and also did the same for the metal fender. This created a couple of tabs to be able to bolt the flare to the fender to give it some rigidity.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I think it came out looking pretty good!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
X2 good job OP
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Chepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shedChepo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Chepo's Tacoma Gallery
It looks great!! Very clean cutout
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
looking forward to seeing the front!

nice job!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Jeffsdeere is on a distinguished road
EMS: Life Saver
Name: Jeff
Jeffsdeere's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good
Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
ElTacoCaliente will become famous soon enoughElTacoCaliente will become famous soon enough
ElTacoCaliente's Tacoma Gallery
OP-
That looks AWESOME!!! Great job! I need to recruit you to help me cut mine when that time comes!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoCaliente View Post
OP-
That looks AWESOME!!! Great job! I need to recruit you to help me cut mine when that time comes!!!
Oh - I'm sure it'll take me much less time doing it to someone else's truck
Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Phase II almost complete. Waiting on some material to show up so I can box the mount. Gonna try something completely different for this....

Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lets see your pinch weld, thats the only place i still hit is the back of the fender well
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I was considering doing this before getting glass. Definitely turned out great! Good job!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Lets see your pinch weld, thats the only place i still hit is the back of the fender well
Pinch weld is as flat as it can possibly be I think. I even need to weld it in a few spots where it separated.

Which tires are you running? Seems the MT/R's run pretty big compared to KM2's. I'm planning for MT/R's, so I know I'll probably have some more banging to do.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #16
I went from a 35x12.5 Nitto MT which actually ran over 13.2" wide, i went down to a 315/70 Hankook Dynapro MT, i only run the pinch weld, which i too flattened to the point of seperation.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Damn the cuts on the rear look almost factory.. HOW DID YOU DO THAT
Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how you guys are beating back the pinch weld, but if you cut the pinch weld down to the firewall every couple inches and hammer each section in the opposite direction of the one above/below it (kind of like a zipper effect), it will help keep it from splitting open.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
I went from a 35x12.5 Nitto MT which actually ran over 13.2" wide, i went down to a 315/70 Hankook Dynapro MT, i only run the pinch weld, which i too flattened to the point of seperation.
What did your Nittos rub? I'm debating the 315 MTR at 9.6" tread width, vs another 315 that is 10.4" tread width. My fear is that the wider tread width will cause bigger problems. Both are about the same actual measured height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Damn the cuts on the rear look almost factory.. HOW DID YOU DO THAT
Jigsaw....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
Not sure how you guys are beating back the pinch weld, but if you cut the pinch weld down to the firewall every couple inches and hammer each section in the opposite direction of the one above/below it (kind of like a zipper effect), it will help keep it from splitting open.
I was going to do that, but it seemed there was more room to flatten them coming out toward the outside of the well, rather than mashing them toward the engine. I did split them every inch though, which made flattening them out MUCH easier.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #20
They rubbed the same place as my new 315's rub, just rubbed more during turns and flexing off-road