1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Urd supercharger.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tuftoy97, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    tuftoy97

tuftoy97 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    08 trd lifted
    Black skid plate, custom satoshi grill, 8000k HIDs, yellow fogs, debadged. Kenwood 418dx deck, jbl 6x9 front door speakers, 6x6 rear, 800 watt audio gods amp, kicker 10 inch sub custom box, 600 watt audio gods amp, LED glow. Volant intake 3inch toytec lift 17inch American Racing ATX rims 285 70 BFG all terrains Tinted windows Smoked out rear lights LEDglow tailgate light bar Flowmaster American thunder dual cat-back exhaust. BHLM custom gauges (white with blue needles) Weathertech Floor mats. Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover TRD all terrain custom bedside decals. URD maf calibrator dipped lower valance Possible mods to come next: Light racing UCA's Halo projector headlights. LED tails
    There are probably already threads about this but i was looking at getting a s/c for my 08 tacoma. Couple question since im not that knowledgable with s/c.
    Which kits is better the urd or trd? i heard you get more power out of the urd but it almost cost a lot more. I like the sound of the urd more the the trd. the trd seems whinny to me.
    Does the urd work with an after market intake? right now i have a volant intake.
    I also live in canada and wonder what it would cost to get either kits shipped here. i would get my local shop to install it most likely.
    basically just wanna know which kit it the better bang for your buck or which kit is better suited for me. I dont go off road too often mostly just highway driving. looking to get more power out of the truck since i put on the 3 inch lift and 33's the truck seems slower. The flowmaster exhaust i have seems to help a little but i know a s/c would definitely help.
    and also does the urd work with a 4.0l 5 speed auto?

2. Jan 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Manual TRD SC 1.87" pulley
    A flux retro-capacitance encabulator
    I can't comment on the URD but I can tell you about my experience with the TRD. It is less power than the uRD, yes, but with the URD mods - stealth pulley and fuel pump - it is pretty good. I don't have a dyno test but my seat tells me it's doing around 330hp and 360ftlb. With the dealer's install, everything together including parts was about $8500.00. Pricey, but you pay for the good stuff. Also you need the fuel pump upgrade from URD. With the stock pump I had a power plateau above 4500 RPM, even without the stealth pulley. I am in Canada also, when I ordered the TRD SC kit from my dealership, there was only one kit in the entire country. So they ain't common. I've seen them on eBay for relatively cheap. I've bought a lot of stuff on ebay, and it's always been good, but I'd personally be wary about the supercharger kit. Might be worth a try.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    BassAckwards likes this.
  3. Jan 13, 2013 at 10:02 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Did you get it ordered in edmonton? what stealership?

I will be looking into this again in the next little bit but its just not a reasonable amount for me to spend right now.
    I like the URD style but I think for namesake I would go with the TRD. It was specifically designed for the engine right from toyota.

4. Jan 14, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    Kurdain

Kurdain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    HOLY MARK UP BATMAN!

Dealer installed with TRD SC and TRD exhaust $4900 out the door here in Oregon. One nice thing about the TRD and having it dealer installed is that it carries a better warranty, which may or may not be important to you.

5. Jan 15, 2013 at 5:49 AM
    tuftoy97

tuftoy97 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    08 trd lifted
    Black skid plate, custom satoshi grill, 8000k HIDs, yellow fogs, debadged. Kenwood 418dx deck, jbl 6x9 front door speakers, 6x6 rear, 800 watt audio gods amp, kicker 10 inch sub custom box, 600 watt audio gods amp, LED glow. Volant intake 3inch toytec lift 17inch American Racing ATX rims 285 70 BFG all terrains Tinted windows Smoked out rear lights LEDglow tailgate light bar Flowmaster American thunder dual cat-back exhaust. BHLM custom gauges (white with blue needles) Weathertech Floor mats. Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover TRD all terrain custom bedside decals. URD maf calibrator dipped lower valance Possible mods to come next: Light racing UCA's Halo projector headlights. LED tails
    Okay 5 grand is a lot better then 8500. That's what I was expecting to spend.
    Will the warranty effect me if my truck is an 08, I think my warranty is up?
    And do you like the sound of the Trd s/c ? Or does it seem whiny to you?

6. Jan 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    Athlaos

Athlaos Destruction Mode

Member:
    First Name:
    Leigh
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Manual TRD SC 1.87" pulley
    A flux retro-capacitance encabulator
    Sherwood park toyota I went to. Yea I ordered the kit from them. Prices are way different in the US, keep that in mind. There are a lot more working poor living there who are willing to do things for a lot less money. You might be able to find a TRD kit on Ebay out of the states as I mentioned. I think that's where you'll save the most money.

7. Jan 15, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Kurdain

Kurdain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    I love the whine, it's hardly audible until you get maybe past 1/4 or 1/3 throttle. It whines very nicely at wide open throttle and upper RPM's. Wish I knew what it sounded like outside my truck though...

I think the powertrain warranty would be up on your truck then, it's 5 years IIRC. The TRD SC carries a 2 year warranty if dealer installed and 1 year if not, again IIRC. I honestly didn't pay that much attention because I had a little over 3 years left on my warranty when I installed it.

I am sure if you search for TRD SC on the forums here you'll find the info pretty easily.

8. Jan 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    ToyotaTacoma4Ever

ToyotaTacoma4Ever Get Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Tacoma Sport
    Check Out The S/C Build
    I've got the TRD S/C and its awesome for low end torque and having a quick start, sure it doesn't make the power like URD but I'm still impressed with it. The whine that it does is awesome, I don't think it gets annoying but everyone has their opinions.

My dealer charged me roughly 6500$ for parts and install and this is in northern Alberta so depending where you order the S/C you get different prices? As in for warranty wise I'm still covered since my power train warranty isn't up but if it was expired it has a 1 year warranty by either you installing or dealership from what I've read

URD will be a good S/C in upper RPMs where it makes all it's power since its a centrifical style, I'm pretty sure that S/C would be quieter, price wise I'm sure it would be roughly the same? Warranty I don't have a clue lol

9. Jan 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have spent some time on XR-U and the general consensus over there seems to be that the URD S/C makes more power on the dyno, but the TRD is still faster most of the time. URD makes high peak numbers while the TRD has good numbers through the whole power band.

Especially considering that the TRD is much cheaper for me, I would choose the TRD S/C if I were to get one of the two.

10. Jan 17, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    tuftoy97

tuftoy97 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    08 trd lifted
    well thanks for the replies, come spring im going to look into it more. Might get some places to price it out for me.
    Are urd and trd the only kits made for tacomas?
    And hows the install on s/c's ? have any of you done the labour yourself?

11. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
  12. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    Cash127

Cash127 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Burlington, ON
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2012 DC 6M TRD Sport
    -after market command start -custom leather seats & seat warmers -supercharger -Airaid CAI -TRD exhaust -Nav system/stereo -King resi coil overs and shocks -dakar leaf packs -Box cover -locking tailgate mod -TRD quick shifter - bed extender -skid plate -bed mat
    X2
    I also had mine installed at a dealership in northern Alberta and paid about the same.
    Drove cross country with it and the wine did not bother me.

13. Jan 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    My understanding with the TRD is that the trucks ECU has to be re-flashed for the s/c, not something that you can do yourself.

14. Jan 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    Yeah. But you can do everything else yourself then go into the dealershio and pay for just the flash, or you can do like URD does and buy an add on tuner like an APRX-1 or pro efi and then you can get custom tunes done.

15. Jan 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    KennethK

KennethK Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD with TRD/SC
    TRD Blower Aero Turbine AFE Stage 2 si Tint
    Or, you could just sell your truck and buy mine!
    See my post in classifieds.

16. Jan 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    ToyotaTacoma4Ever

ToyotaTacoma4Ever Get Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Tacoma Sport
    Check Out The S/C Build
    As far as I know URD and TRD are the only S/C you can buy as one kit for the tacoma. There people who go turbo but that's all custom work.

I'm sure it can't be to hard to install it yourself if there's instructions that come with it? just need the reflash from the dealership and your good to go lol

17. Jan 18, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    KennethK

KennethK Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD with TRD/SC
    TRD Blower Aero Turbine AFE Stage 2 si Tint
    If you're going to do it yourself, I would recommend you call Gadget at URD.
    The TRD flash is junk from what he's told me. Some trucks are super rich, some are too lean. URD can provide a better alternative. Give Gadeget a call, he can explain much better than I.

18. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    The TRD flash typically makes your engine run super rich. Lean motors like to blow up, so Toyota makes the S/C flash run your rig super rich so that doesn't happen. I've got a friend with a S/C'd 1st gen with the TRD flash and no cats and he can shoot 6 foot flames out of his exhaust because of how rich it runs.

I'll see if I can find the pic of that. haha

Found it:
    screen-capture_7567de88c6020db00651b413a623d21151ee06e6.jpg

BassAckwards likes this.
  19. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
  20. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    BradyT88

Friend, no cats, 6 foot flames, picture proof and that priceless cat as your avartar made me lose my shit LOLing at work. :rofl::rofl:

For this, I thank you sir!

Products Discussed in

To Top