1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low cost CB options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by iamsuperbleeder, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jan 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

iamsuperbleeder [OP] Licensed Lunatic

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner Taco - SOLD -
    TRD E-locker rear axle swap, Cherrybomb Extreme muffler, custom made CAI, 2.5" spacer lift up front and AAL's in the rear, Sport model seat swap, Pioneer X940BT, Kicker shallow 10" and 12" behind the back seat
    I have only recently discovered that there's actually people around my area that meet up for wheeling occasionally. I'd like to eventually join in, but I need to do several things to my truck before I even attempt, aside from tires and little armor :p

Would like to put a small CB in my truck to make communication much better while out on the trails. Doesn't need to be anything super fancy; the only time I'd really be using it is when wheeling. I don't really like the ones like the Cobra model that has all the dials and stuff on the mic itself; I'd much rather have a small unit that I can mount in the center console or something an have an external mic, possibly an external speaker if someone can recommend a decent place to hide it so it's out of site for the truck's normal day-to-day operation.

I been looking at the Uniden PRO510XL; looks to be a pretty small unit, and it's priced right. Opinions? Thoughts from people that own that unit?

Any other decent and low cost units out there?

As far as the antenna goes, I wouldn't mind have a taller whip-type antenna, not just for signal strength only, but for some reason I think they just look neat :D Any recommendations there? Although I should be able to figure out a mounting solution pretty easily, what's some ways you guys are mounting them to/in the bed? I've seen the bracket you can purchase for like $30 that mounts the antenna on the back by the tailgate, but if someone has a good DIY mount that's substantially less expensive I'd go that route.

In the end, I'm looking to spend no more than $75-$100 for it all.

Thanks!

2. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    I'm looking around also...it looks like you can get whatever receiver you want, it's the antenna that does all the work...

Hopefully you find something. I'll be waiting patiently to see what you get...

3. Jan 13, 2013 at 4:37 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Uniden 510Xl or Cobra 19 = $40

Little Wilson = $35

That's $75 there and will give you probably the cheapest setup that will actually perform decent. Pretty much plug and play with little to worry about.

4. Jan 13, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    The antenna is the most important part of the setup. I suggest a 4', the taller the better.

Here is my setup:

Cobra 19 DX IV - $45
    Firestick Firering coax - $22
    Wilson Flex 4' - $26
    Relentless hood hinge mount - $20

rightchannelradios.com is a great source of products and info, and they sell packages with everything needed.

5. Jan 13, 2013 at 5:41 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Hand held from Northern... 50 bucks, no mounting probs.

6. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    iamsuperbleeder

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRD E-locker rear axle swap, Cherrybomb Extreme muffler, custom made CAI, 2.5" spacer lift up front and AAL's in the rear, Sport model seat swap, Pioneer X940BT, Kicker shallow 10" and 12" behind the back seat
    sweet, thank you I will check them out!

7. Jan 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    How's your Wilson Flex treating you? I think I've narrowed it down to a 4' ones of those and a Uniden 520 and using a universal 3 way mount to custom mount it to the bed mount rails.

8. Jan 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    yep i got a 2' and want bigger :mad:

incoming pun in 5...4....3...

9. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    I tried to run a 3' Firefly but it would not get the SWR below 3:1. I switched to the 4' Wilson Flex and have it to 1.4:1 on Channel 1 and 40. So far so good, but I have yet to really test it out.

edit: oh and seric007; Thats what she said.

10. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    I have a cobra 75 wx st. I know you said you don't like that one, but you do realize its still removable and its way more sleek and hide-a-way than a small unit with removable mic. Anyways, get whatever cb you like, but the antenna and cable are the most important parts. Oh and the mount, mount location, and good ground. Have to do your research and know how to tune it correctly for it to be any good.

I recommend a Firestik II 4' with tunable tip. It makes tuning very easy and they are amazing quality. Get an RG-58 type coax in the minimum length required. No excess. Make sure your mount is grounded at the bottom half only. Just research. You'll figure it out. But don't go cheap on the important parts or its all worthless.

11. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah the Wilson Flex has a tunable tip, so that's a plus with it as well.

I started trying to price around and put everything together separately, but it's almost not worth the hassle; just seems easier to order a complete kit at this point from rightchannel, lol

Will probably go with this kit:

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/uniden-jeep-off-road-cb-kit.html

Using a 520XL radio, the Flex 4' antenna, and the universal 3 way mount. Comes out to $136 before shipping, but eh, I can deal with that; not too much more considering it's literally everything I need.

Plan to mount it like this (Google find). Looks simple enough. Although probably on the side further back, not up by the cab like that.

IMG_3538_4486fa0311bcb02e06f91df8ca456449d4b70413.jpg

12. Jan 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Here's an odd question, but an interesting one none the less.

Has anyone ever taken the external speaker output on a CB radio and ran it to an auxiliary input on the stereo in the truck? Or is there too much power coming from that external speaker output since it is suppose to directly drive a speaker?

13. Jan 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    should work just fine

14. Jan 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Works fine. I've done it several times. Although I hate my CB. I have it tuned to a 1.1:1 which is dam near perfect and have a 4' antenna, all brand new, legit install, and the range and clarity is garbage. I honestly don't know why I wasted my time or money with a CB. All the guys I run with have one and we never use em.

I now only use my HAM. You can get a decent entry level one for about the same price as that CB setup, and youll love it. Something to consider. I still keep both just in case I go with someone who doesn't have a ham, but honestly even a prefectly tuned and installed CB is going be limited, especially im rural terrain typical for offroading.

I get 1/4 mile through hills, up to 1 mile with no obstructions with the cb. Ham gets 5 miles through hills no repeaters and over 30+ miles through urban city environments. 50+miles on a wide open field with no repeaters. Ham is the way to go. Just a consideration for you

15. Jan 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Okay so I'm about to spend a little more... throwing in a PA speaker too since the radio is capable of it (just for shits and giggles, lol) and just going to get an external speaker to hide under the seat or dash instead of going through the radio (kind of don't want to have to put the radio into AUX mode every time I want to use the CB...)

also a different 4 pin mic from the Bearcat line, just because I think the mic that comes with the Pro520XL just looks cheesy :D

tally now is at about $165 :rolleyes: so it's going to cost me considerably more than I originally planned, but I figure I'll just go ahead and get everything I want to start with, instead of just getting the radio installed and thinking "man I should have gotten that..."

funny thing happened today though. I was talking to my boss at work about putting a CB in my truck and he brought up the subject of putting CB's in all of the yard guys vehicles (I work at a salvage yard; we have 4 guys that just drive around all day pulling parts, and our eBay guy as well as I myself have our own yard vehicles as well, so that's 6 total vehicles). Then also putting a stationary radio in the dispatch office and the boss wants one in his office too. so after all this, looks like I'll be installing 8 more systems, lol. at least those are only going to cost about $60 for each truck; pretty basic equipment and some magnetic mounted antennas... probably end up putting one on the 2 golf carts too that we have that get driven around in the yard all the time by the boss and others :rolleyes:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jan 22, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    For $170 you could get a lot better set up. I always hate to see these threads where someone wants a CB but doesn't want to spend a lot and it ends up in frustration. Something like a Cobra 29 LX and a little Wilson would be a great performing setup for around $140. You also mentioned a whip antenna. I would suggest that or a mag mount over any fiberglass whip. They just flat out perform better and are easier to tune. Even the little Uniden with a whip would be an excellent choice. I've been through many set ups and just hate seeing people frustrated and upgrading later. Good luck whatever choice you make.

17. Jan 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Well to be honest, I could have gotten away with less than a $120 setup, but I got picky, lol

I considered a mag mount but I don't know that I want one on my DD... nothing wrong with them, I'd just rather have a permanent mounted antenna. And I ended up going with the Wilson Flex 4" because of the easy tuneability, and the fact that it's a flexible antenna so it's sort of a cross between a rigid fiberglass antenna and a whip

18. Jan 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    radredtaco

radredtaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Bergen County NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 access cab SR5 red
    I will be transfering my Midland 1001z, Silver eagle 350 linear amplifier, and wilson 1000 mag mount antenna from my chevy s10 to my tacoma this weekend probably. I have a Cobra 29ltd in the house that im thinking about putting in the tacoma instead of the midland but not sure. Both work great and recomend both.

19. Jan 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    OP, It looks like you are getting the SWR meter with that package, which is great.

I just installed my 4runner CB setup this evening. Uniden 510XL wired directly to the battery, 18' coax, door jamb antenna mount between the tailgate and bed post, and a Wilson Flex 4'. I grinded the paint off the bed post behind the antenna mount. I hooked up the meter to tune it and it read 1.1:1 on channel 1 and 40, and 1.0:1 on channel 19. I did not even have to touch the tunable tip.

20. Jan 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    iamsuperbleeder

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Lake City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Sweet deal!

Yeah getting the meter for me, but also going to use it in a couple weeks to tune the CB setups we're putting in our yard trucks at work, lol. going to be putting some 505's and cheap mag-mounted antennas in them; only need to reach 1/2 mile at most in those

To Top