1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lifting a 2013 4 cyl. Dcsb

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hmo22, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    Hmo22

Hmo22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 4 cyl.
    Hi everyone, new member here. First off I'd just like to say that I've been lurking here for some time now and have searched what seems like hundreds of topics. This site has been a wealth of knowledge, however I am almost more unsure now than before I came here. So I'm asking for your advise on helping me choose a lift.

I have a 2013 4 cyl. Dcsb PreRunner. I have searched and searched but have not come across any thread covering this particular truck and lifting it. I'm wondering how the difference in weight of the motor changes the lifts?

I was set to just go with 5100's @ 1-3/4" but after seeing pictures of others set at this height it doesn't look like much of a difference from stock. So now I'm thinking of going with 5100s set @ 0 and OME 884's to hopefully achieve about 2" to 2-1/4" of lift. I would like to avoid getting new uca's and would like to stay in spec with alignment.

I should say that I don't plan on wheeling my truck at all, and unlike a lot of posters on here I prefer the nose high look if kept within reason. That being said I don't plan on doing anything to the rear at this time.

I would love to hear your suggestions, especially if you have any experience with this same truck, thanks.

2. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Sounds like you have done your research and your on the right track. You are probably right about getting more lift because of a lighter front end, but it probably wont be significant, for what you want i think 884s are a good choice. Keep in mind the taco lean. With 5100s you will want to run a 1/4 top plate spacer on the drivers side to level the truck side to side.

3. Jan 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    Hmo22

Hmo22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 4 cyl.
    Thanks for the response, so the taco lean has nothing to do with the v6?

4. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    The tacolean is caused by the gas tank and battery both being on the drivers side. The stock front suspension compensates for the added weight, when you switch to aftermarket springs the lean will be more noticable. If you are worried about 884s being to high 883s are 10mm shorter and have the same spring rate. You can also look into eibachs coils with 5100s for around 1.6" of lift on the 0" setting on the billys, which can be adjusted to add another .85". I think 884s are a good choice though, they will probably put you a little higher in the front, im assuming your leaf springs are in good condition and the rear is 1.5-2 inches higher than the front.

5. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast

Stunt man hans had a regular cab 4x4 with a procomp lift (?) and I beleive I read it gave him 4-4.5 inches because regular cabs do not weight enough.

I also read that rc 4x4's weigh more than 4 cyl dc trucks. May want to want to dismiss that to quick. Let me make sure on that statement though....

edit: the 4cyl dc is ~160 lbs more that the rc. I still think its something to consider.

6. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    Hmo22

Hmo22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner SR5 4 cyl.
    Finally I know what causes the lean! Thanks for that. I'm not worried about being to high other than being able to get it within alignment spec. I think I will go with 884's unless someone can convince me that 5100's @ 1-3/4 would get me the stance I'm looking for. Yes my leafs are fine, it only has 3500 miles on it and it is about 1.5" higher in the rear.

7. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Good point. Yes definitly something to consider. Going by what i have read prerunners dont see that much extra lift from OME coils. Ushually around 1/4"-1/2" if i remember correctly. Thats why i said you might see a difference but it wont be significant. But 4-4.5 inches from a 3 inch lift? Thats weird, even with less weigt that doesnt seem right. Although that is not the only time i have heard of something like that. This guy ended up with 4" of lift, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/244811-5100-ome-885-install-problems-help.html

Not trying to scare you OP this is not a common problem.

8. Mar 28, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    tpotnoc

tpotnoc Sit on my face

Member:
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    15 2.7 DCSB PR
    Bump I have the same truck as OP but will be adding 120# to the front. I don't want to sit nose high so I'm hoping 884s will give me what I'm looking for. I like a little bit of rear rake.

Products Discussed in

To Top