Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can't get this sticker off

View Poll Results: Has this thread helped in your journey through life?
Yes 51 14.74%
No 58 16.76%
Maybe, I can't tell 60 17.34%
I have a unicorn 177 51.16%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlooney View Post
You sure it was paint bubbling up?
...either way, don't use a paint scraper...that's a great way to scratch your paint.
Not sure? I just saw a bubble under the sticker, and stopped. After i stopped I tried to push it back down, and burned myself. So, another horrible idea.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbrain03 View Post
According to your post, the sticker would come right off. Well, it didn't!
Read the whole post, including the part about the soft plastic squeegee and going slow so as not to cause damage to the paint.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
joeyha is on a distinguished road

Name: Joey
joeyha's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #24
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Yes, seems like this could work. Maybe i'll try heating it up again, and then sand. I have an 80 grit, will that work?
SCratch the window maybe? notsure:

Have a ice scraper?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #25
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

FastEddie's Tacoma Gallery
im going to stop commenting on this thread before it turns into a disaster
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Read the whole post, including the part about the soft plastic squeegee and going slow so as not to cause damage to the paint.
Noted. And for the record, I didn't use the paint scraper, read what I said! Paint started to bubble, and I stopped.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Wire wheel drill bit. Just run it at low speed and don't let it sit in the same spot.
What about covering it with plastidip?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #28

Ok, guys, I'm sorry. Temper flared a bit, after burning myself. I'm calm now. Now, lets continue this, without bashing me.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
You could also take the tailgate off. It will increase your MPG.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
So, if you took a metal paint scraper to the tail gate and already messed up the paint, would you have to repaint the whole thing anyways? If so, keep on with the metal scraper and get the sticker off if you'll be repainting it anyways. Just a suggestion since there is already some damage done, not sure what your plans for the truck are.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #31
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Take it off the truck! Use some 2x8's and make a new tail gate.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
So, if you took a metal paint scraper to the tail gate and already messed up the paint, would you have to repaint the whole thing anyways? If so, keep on with the metal scraper and get the sticker off if you'll be repainting it anyways. Just a suggestion since there is already some damage done, not sure what your plans for the truck are.
Again, I wrote twice about not using the paint scraper. I am sorry I misread what you wrote, but I at least can read.

I don't want to repaint the tail gate, I like the color. It's a faded black.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #33
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
How easy do the tail gates come off? find someone with a color matched one and switch jkjk

but try the warm/hot soapy water and a sponge with a rough side. Stickers that were baked on in 100*+ weather came off with a little work.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #34

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Noted. And for the record, I didn't use the paint scraper, read what I said! Paint started to bubble, and I stopped.
If the paint is hot enough to burn you, it's too hot. You want to use low, even heat. Keep the hair drier back at least a foot and dont' just heat up a small area at a time. Keep the hair drier moving so it heats evenly over a semi-large area (about 1/3 of the tailgate if the sticker is really that big). Creating hot spots can melt the paint and damage it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #35

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Again, I wrote twice about not using the paint scraper. I am sorry I misread what you wrote, but I at least can read.

I don't want to repaint the tail gate, I like the color. It's a faded black.
Noted, sorry, this thread is moving faster than I can type
Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #36

Ok, after further looking at this problem. I think I may have found another problem. Looks like the guy used some gorilla glue or something to put the sticker on.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #37
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Quote:
Ok, after further looking at this problem. I think I may have found another problem. Looks like the guy used some gorilla glue or something to put the sticker on.

LMAO.. We need pictures of this excitement...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
LMAO.. We need pictures of this excitement...
I'll try to get some up soon. Another problem has arose. A "good ole boy" just drove my and saw this, I guess he didn't appreciate it. He slammed on his brakes and yelled at me. Saying my kind aren't welcome in his area.

I need to hurry here.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #39

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If that's the case, you have a problem. Any chemicals that will take off a super glue, will likely take the paint with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #40

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'll try to get some up soon. Another problem has arose. A "good ole boy" just drove my and saw this, I guess he didn't appreciate it. He slammed on his brakes and yelled at me. Saying my kind aren't welcome in his area.

I need to hurry here.
I'd take the tail gate off completely. It's easy to do and will make it easier to work on. That way, even if you can't get the sticker off, you won't be driving around like that.

Products Discussed in this Thread