Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can't get this sticker off

View Poll Results: Has this thread helped in your journey through life?
Yes 53 14.85%
No 58 16.25%
Maybe, I can't tell 60 16.81%
I have a unicorn 186 52.10%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Can't get this sticker off

I just recently purchased a 1994 Toyota Pickup It runs like new the tires are all aired up and look good The wheels need a little polishing but I figure I could get some help on here on shining those suckers up The interior needs a bit of work but nothing a little TLC cant take care of The dash is in shambles but I'll just drape a flag or some sort of cloth over it and good as new Any suggestions (just realized I have used no punctuation marks yet. I don't plan on going back and adding them either). Continuing on. The motor has 230,987 miles on it, and I was told the Tranny is "pretty new".

So now that the introduction of the new rig is out of the way. I have some questions. Instead of starting many different threads, I'll post them all up in here. Let me know if I need to start a new thread for each topic, and I will do so.

This truck had a bunch of window decals. I mean a lot. I don't know how this guy drove this thing down the road without getting ticketed every time. I mostly have all of the window decals removed, some of them have been on a while, and were sun baked. On a couple of them, I broke out the torch, and either burned or melted them off. Worked for the most part, and that's all I'll say about that.

One sticker is on the tail gate, and it's still there. I'm not sure how to remove it from the truck without messing up the paint. I need to remove it quick though. I live in a smallish town, and the local folks don't appreciate it. It has to do with a gay unicorn or something about church? Are unicorns gay? Anyway, what are your thoughts on getting this thing off, and how can I do it quickly without making a mess? If you really want to see the picture. Google "Gay Unicorn Sticker". There is one that says something about being a priest in the church of gay. This sucker is huge, takes up the entire tail gate. Any suggestions are welcome here.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Hair dryer and goof off and a plastic type scraper with a good edge
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Hair dryer and goof off and a plastic type scraper with a good edge
Hair dryer? Am I drying the Unicorns hair? Doesn't seem like that would work at all.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

FastEddie's Tacoma Gallery
if its just the glue residue use goo gone then wash your truck. if you need to peel the sticker i use a steamer and pull it off slowly
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
FastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud ofFastEddie has much to be proud of

hair dryer will work. you just need to apply heat to loosen the adhesive
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
if its just the glue residue use goo gone then wash your truck. if you need to peel the sticker i use a steamer and pull it off slowly
Steamer? I have one that I use on my carpet. Should i just run it over the tail gate like I do on my carpet? May be hard to hold it up without spilling the water everywhere.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #7

I used a clothes steamer, I've never used a carpet steamer before, so idk

Here's something similar to what i used to remove window tints (should be similar to removing a sticker):

http://www.target.com/p/conair-extre...ot=medium_1_18
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #8

Help please! I have to drive through town in a bit, and not sure the locals can take much more of this.

Let me go try the hair dryer
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Warm soapy water?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Hair drier, as suggested earlier, or a heat gun on low setting. Don't let the paint get too hot because it can do damage. Go slowly and use a soft plastic squeegee, like you'd use if you were tinting your windows. It should come right off. Then use a cleaner for the residue, if any is left. You want to use the weakest cleaner that will get the job done. Start with something like WD-40 (if simple car wash soap won't take it off).
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #12

Well, just tried the hair dryer, and all I had to scrape was a paint scraper. That didn't go so well, the paint bubbled up under the sticker. I stopped before more damage happened.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Thanks a lot for that horrible advice guys!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
It's probably painted on. Better use sand paper.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
You used a paint scraper and thought that was a good idea? Don't bitch at us, for your stupidity. A plastic scraper was suggested
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
You used a paint scraper and thought that was a good idea? Don't bitch at us, for your stupidity. A plastic scraper was suggested
Hey, I saw scraper of some type. Plastic preferred. I dodn't have a plastic scraper, so metal was my best bet.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbrain03 View Post
Thanks a lot for that horrible advice guys!
It's not horrible advice, you just have to be smarter than the hair drier. Look on youtube for sticker removal and a lot of the videos will use a hair drier or a heat gun. It is the best way to get a sticker off but you have to go slow and you can't get it too hot.

Also, you used a metal paint scraper, what did you think would happen?!?!?!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
It's probably painted on. Better use sand paper.
Yes, seems like this could work. Maybe i'll try heating it up again, and then sand. I have an 80 grit, will that work?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Also, you used a metal paint scraper, what did you think would happen?!?!?!
According to your post, the sticker would come right off. Well, it didn't!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
You sure it was paint bubbling up?
...either way, don't use a paint scraper...that's a great way to scratch your paint.

Products Discussed in this Thread