Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange noise from engine when shutting down 2013 Tacoma

Old 01-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about it. It's been in the design phase for years.

http://youtu.be/lPqPDdiiJIw
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has it too. Also from in the cab it has a more zzzzzzzzz sound. It's been there since day one for me. Must be normal.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDfarmerTN View Post
must be a 13' thing...my 12' doesnt do that

It's not a '12 thing. Mine does it too.

Maybe your smog pump is broken.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #25
2013 DCSB 4x4
Jack Bond is on a distinguished road
Jack Bond's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arma1911 View Post
Since we are talking about engines does anyone feel that the 4.0L V6 is a little underpowered? I purchased the TRD off-road package because I drive a lot of unpaved roads in the WV mountains. But just driving on paved road I find that acceleration is a bit sluggish. Any thoughts?
I was wondering the same thing. I keep thinking I have a 4cyl not V6.

Yeah that noise is kinda annoying.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #26
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It is normal and is emissions related. Our '12 RAV4 and '13 Taco do this....as did our '10 Yaris.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #27
area 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Retired
area 52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc35 View Post
Off topic but I agree. I chuckle when I read folks saying their truck lacks power, I've owned some real dogs in the past. The V6 Tacoma puts out decent power.

As far as the noise, it's just some smog control crap.
Same here.

I've owned a lot of trucks and Jeeps.

I traded my 2010 JK last year, which DID lack power.

I can't comment as to whether the Pentastar fixed that, since I haven't driven one.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #28
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
My 13 does the same thing. Sounds like a blender or coffee grinder turning off. I'm hoping the sweet sound of the TRD SC's whine will help me not notice the coffee grinder sound every time I turn my Taco off. Sure hope TRD hurries up with the 13 kits.

area 52

I traded a 09 Rubicon in on my 13 taco and to say the JK's lack power, and this is coming from a many time "jeep" lover, has to be the worlds largest underestimate. I think you have to have some power before you can have a lack of power. I truly miss my Rubi but OMG was she a gutless turd. The 3.7 JK's have a lot better power.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
SharEd is on a distinguished road
SharEd's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Strange noise in engine when shutting down 2013 Tacoma

Thank you for all the information. I have been giving my husband heck over the weird noise every time I shut the truck down (mileage under 3000) in the garage. I don't remember hearing it when the truck was first brought home or at the dealer. I'm still going to note it with the dealer because it is disconcerting but I won't be a b.... about it as much since so many seem to be experiencing it.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharEd View Post
Thank you for all the information. I have been giving my husband heck over the weird noise every time I shut the truck down (mileage under 3000) in the garage. I don't remember hearing it when the truck was first brought home or at the dealer. I'm still going to note it with the dealer because it is disconcerting but I won't be a b.... about it as much since so many seem to be experiencing it.
Welcome to TW!

Sounds like you have the right attitude about it. I don't mind the noise, but for people that do, I think it's appropriate to mention it to the dealership. That's the kind of feedback that may not directly benefit the owners of current vehicles, but may lead to design changes for future models.

There's already a very small intake muffler on the pump. Changing it to a more capable muffler may descrease the noise level, as would insulating the pump, and/or lining the underside of the hood with sound deadening material.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #31
Richard m is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
Richard m's Tacoma Gallery
I am a technician and I just picked up my 2013 trd. It's has 250km on it and I have also noticed this noise it almost sounds like rushing air followed by a faint backfire or popping noise. I am kinda surprised this is normal though but glad it is a "normal noise"?
Old 07-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #32
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard m View Post
I am a technician and I just picked up my 2013 trd. It's has 250km on it and I have also noticed this noise it almost sounds like rushing air followed by a faint backfire or popping noise. I am kinda surprised this is normal though but glad it is a "normal noise"?
Does it sound like this?

If so, that's not normal.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #33
Richard m is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
Richard m's Tacoma Gallery
Definelty does not sound like that!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #34
Barcelona13 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Barcelona13's Tacoma Gallery
Mine made that noise, and also had a burning rubber smell. The burning smell went away at 1500 miles and the sound is still there. Guess they're not related!
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcelona13 View Post
Mine made that noise, and also had a burning rubber smell. The burning smell went away at 1500 miles and the sound is still there. Guess they're not related!
Thanks for the info.
Not sure about the rubber part, but new exhaust and engine parts can take some time before they stop smelling.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #36
Toms Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Navy: VA-75
Toms Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
My 2013 DCLB limited does the same thing. Tech here at the dealership said it is normal and it is the air pump for the emissions system. I tried some other Tacomas here on the lot and they all do it to some extent.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #37
kimett506 is on a distinguished road
kimett506's Tacoma Gallery
hey turn off the dac anf u 2 can spin the tires. i thought mine was kinda underpowered afer i crunched my 2004 tundra which by the way had 3 more hp than my 2014 tacoma but now i can spin em like my tundra
Old 11-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #38
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimett506 View Post
hey turn off the dac anf u 2 can spin the tires. i thought mine was kinda underpowered afer i crunched my 2004 tundra which by the way had 3 more hp than my 2014 tacoma but now i can spin em like my tundra
DAC (Downhill Assist Control) is automatically deactivated with any throttle or brake input from the driver. I think you meant VSC.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #39
13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of
Air Force: Security Forces 02-06
13TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
I think my tacoma has great power for a v6. I have owned a bunch of trucks and this thing gets up and goes. When I first drove it home with 1 mile on it, it did seem a bit on the conservitive side. But over time it seems to run awesome. Probobly just me but I love the 4.0
Old 11-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #40
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Yep... Mine does the same thing every time I turn it off. First place I came was here and there was the answer.

As of right now it is sitting in the garage making the Fuel Emission noise from underneath but that is completely normal too. Freaked me out the first time I heard that also. The interwebs are a amazing tool.