1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil out of exhaust on my 2006 4.0?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by primetime619, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Aug 19, 2007 at 10:00 PM
    primetime619

primetime619 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Whenever I wash my truck I notice a great deal of black ( I'm assuming oil) on my rear quarter panel just above the exhaust. This has prompted me whenever I am in parking lots to look at other Tacomas and I also notice that they to have this same oil spotting on their passenger side rear quarter-panel above the exhaust.

Do you any of you have this problem? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks...

2. Aug 20, 2007 at 5:19 AM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    This does not happen on my truck.:eek:

Ted

3. Aug 20, 2007 at 5:29 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I do not have this either.

Depending on the area that you live in, it is possible that there is an additive in the fuel that is not burning completely. That would cause a "soot like" emission that would cause an oily haze on your paint just above the exhaust pipe.

Just a theory.

4. Aug 20, 2007 at 7:55 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I dont think i have this buildup, but my truck is black so i dont know if i could tell either way...

5. Aug 20, 2007 at 8:23 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I am not completely sure I followed your question, but here is my answer to what I think you are asking.

Oil is heavier than air, and even in particulate form, say when shot out of an exhaust because of blow-by in the engine, it still stays relatively low, and stays in specks and droplet form, it would also be incredibly difficult to wash (read as scrub) off.

I suspect what you are refering to is more of a uniform coating of black soot, something more similar to brake dust. So if I have read your question correctly you quarter pannel looks more like your front rims, than looking like a kid took a black marker and put dots on your truck.

007 might be right and it might be a fuel addative that is not burning completely, so you could try changing brand or grade of gas. Failing that, here is my theory.

I have not noticed it on my quarter pannel, but have noticed a little bit of carbon on my tail pipe. I believe this to be because the 4.0 engine are notorious for running rich, so not all the fuel is being completely burned, and therefor what you are getting is esentially the remnants of un-burned fuel. I would further suspect that others who have it on the quarter pannel wind up stuck in more stop and go traffic on a daily basis, where as those that don't notice it as much, or like myself only notice it on the tail pipe are not stuck in as much traffic, so that when the truck is moving, the exhaust it being thrown further out from the truck, and the truck is moving away from the cloud as well. Based on my theory that would also explain why there is this film of soot on the nose of my camper.

As far as what to do about it short of the URD maf calibrator to correct the mixture, I don't know.

Disclaimer:
    I have no facts to back this up, this is just my theory, and I may be completely wrong.

6. Aug 20, 2007 at 10:46 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    This is true on my 2.7L as well.

7. Aug 20, 2007 at 6:38 PM
    MarkC

MarkC Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yokota AB, Fussa-Shi, Japan
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 SR5
    2 inch spacer in the front, and homemade add a leaf in the rear, billet grille, bull bar
    black stuff above the tail pipe means your running rich to much fuel not enough air. throw some weights in the back and get on the highway and open it up. burn that carbon out. I know the Diesel Generators I work on get BAD carbon build up if ran without a load applied. like Mavrick said I have SOME facts to back this up, this is just my theory, and I may be completely wrong.

8. Aug 21, 2007 at 12:46 AM
    GO TACO GO

GO TACO GO Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5 >blacked out
    bone friggin stock........................for now.......
    You said on the quarter panel but you didnt mention residue in or on the exhaust itelf? My concern is it may not be the exhaust, I have seen transmission/engine seals that have slowly leaked, and the air directed the oil under the body to the quarter panels and even on the bumper. but it was ingrained with road and brake dust so it was deceptive and neglected. They didnt figure it out until it was too late......but the consensus is that tacos run rich so maybe its that simple. best wishes.

9. Aug 21, 2007 at 2:50 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I have not noticed this on my 06(6spd) that I bought in Oct of 06. However, if in fact the engine is running rich, then that means the computer is not doing its job and needs a good Taco tech person to investigate and make sure all of yourengine/fuel parameters are set to the correct spec's. Keep the TW informed of what you find out.

Jeff
    06, 6sspd SR5, 4x4 Brilliant Red bone stock( so far)

10. Aug 21, 2007 at 3:23 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Well, actually, the Tacoma is set to run rich from the factory.

11. Aug 21, 2007 at 7:51 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Like 007 said, they are set to run rich from the factory due to a wide acceptable variance (plus or minus 15%) in the MAF sensors. That is how the URD maf calibrator can do what it does, because it give you the ability to correct the air fuel map to your individual truck and your individual sensor, and your individual altitude, and your individual mods.

Toyota sets the trucks to run rich, because running rich only affects your fuel mileage, and makes a mess, but it will not harm your engine, where as if they set it leaner and one of the maf sensors was at the extreme end of the acceptable varience then the engine could lean out too much and cause damage. They chose to save money by accepting the wide sensor varience, and run the truck rich to protect themselves against warranty claims.

12. Sep 2, 2007 at 5:37 AM
    ghostsix

ghostsix Well-Known Member

Member:
    A WI farm, Sonora, Sedona, Lake Havesue and Canyon
    Vehicle:
    Impluse Red 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-road 4x4
    A Roo Bar comes to mind. I also protected the tail lamps. It is a farm and you back over stuff; Willows mostly. All of the factory options are on it. The dealership owner bought it for himself.He put a topper on it and pricey tyres. The Power Wagon does the heavy lifting.
    If it really is oil; I would suspect a mainseal leak.

13. Sep 3, 2007 at 1:32 PM
    A2Mich

A2Mich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Double Cab PreRunner SR5 V6 TRD Sport
    Tube steps, Toyota Bug Shield, Lund Tonneau
    Actually, if it really is oil, I would suspect bad oil control rings, or valve guide seals. A rear main seal leak wouldn't collect only in the one spot on the right rear quarter....it would be leaking out of the bell housing, down the bottom side of the transmission, and ALL OVER the underside of the truck. Oil concentracted in one spot at the exhaust pipe would indicate more of an internal engine problem than a rear main....

14. Sep 3, 2007 at 7:03 PM
    mt1961

mt1961 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    I've got a white 06 and mine does it. Looks like soot; probably is not burning all the fuel. My driving is 75% city which is probably the culprit. Doesn't seem to do it as bad running on the interstate.

Products Discussed in

To Top