1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remove & Replace Power Steering Pressure Switch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jdtoothnail, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Jan 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4 w/ 3" Toytec Lift
    3" Toytec/Eibach Coilover lift w/ 5100s in front, Toytec rear BOSS shocks, Light Racing UCAs, OME Dakar Rear Leaf Packs w/ rear axle degree shims, Toyo Open Country A/T II LT285/75R16 (33"), Gear Alloy 712MB Injectors (Machined Black & Chrome wheels), Airaid Cool Air Intake System, TRD Exhaust, Black Head Light Mod, GrillCraft Black Mesh Upper & Lower Grill, Removed Mudflaps, Jensen VM9324 DVD player (secret e-brake override code on all Jensens) w/ Streaming Bluetooth Adapter, Steering Wheel Adapter & Rear Back-up Camera... ALL done by me, thanks to all the info here on TW. If I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it!
    Well I searched far and wide and couldn't find the answer in any thread so far (found 4 similar posts with no answers). My steering suddenly became stiff/tight intermittently through a full turn (started after I dodged a wild horse on the highway going 65mph, had a split second to hit the brakes, jerk to the right and miss it by a millimeter). I brought my 2005 Taco 4x4 v6 4-door 5' bed into Firestone since I have the lifetime alignment, and they diagnosed the following: "Remove & Replace Power Steering Pressure Switch" (their part # is K750448, which is not Toyota's).

Firestone: $119.99 parts + $95 labor! = $215
    Stealership: $160 parts + $140 labor!!! = $300

From what I can find, this is a $32 part (see attachment). Am I on the wrong track? Are they on the wrong track? This seems like an easy fix, and I've done all my own mods thus far. So I'd prefer to save the $215 to $300 and do this myself. Anyone have any suggestions? I've heard things about a u-joint and spraying a penetrating oil, etc. But not sure.

Google Power Steering Pressure Switch.jpg

2. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Change it yourself and see what happens. My guess it wont be that easy and could be the rack itself. When does this problem occur?

3. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:37 PM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec/Eibach Coilover lift w/ 5100s in front, Toytec rear BOSS shocks, Light Racing UCAs, OME Dakar Rear Leaf Packs w/ rear axle degree shims, Toyo Open Country A/T II LT285/75R16 (33"), Gear Alloy 712MB Injectors (Machined Black & Chrome wheels), Airaid Cool Air Intake System, TRD Exhaust, Black Head Light Mod, GrillCraft Black Mesh Upper & Lower Grill, Removed Mudflaps, Jensen VM9324 DVD player (secret e-brake override code on all Jensens) w/ Streaming Bluetooth Adapter, Steering Wheel Adapter & Rear Back-up Camera... ALL done by me, thanks to all the info here on TW. If I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it!
    Hey buzzcut, it occurs through an entire turn. Say I'm going around a corner, once I'm through the turn I have to pull the steering wheel back to center or I'll end up in the ditch. It'll go from loose to tight to loose to tight, etc. Loose might not be the best way to describe it, just no longer tight if I'm not currently turning.

Would you take it Firestone, your local mechanic, or the dreaded dealership? I'm fine with Firestone, but if they misdiagnosed it did I just waste a bunch of money?

4. Jan 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Caribe, I'm thinking my best bet is to take it to my local mechanic then. Which means I have to find one since I just moved to central WA.

5. Jan 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    rngrchad

rngrchad Yankee Oscar Tango Alpha

Member:
    The former USA now USSA (United States Socialst Am
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail TRD
    Rockwell 30 ton axles.
    I have the exact same problem with my 2008 Tacoma. It's acting up bad when its cold, but intermittent when its above 30F. Like there is a bind in the system somewhere, or like a line going from the pump to the steering is colapsing maybe? Anyway, what did you end up doing? What was the cause and or the problem. Please reply. Thanks. It's driving me nuts./

6. Jan 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    Still unsure of the problem. Taking it in today to get it fixed. I drove up from Seattle to Whistler, BC last weekend to snowboard, and we'd stop for gas and whatnot and steering would occasionally and only temporarily go back to normal. Otherwise, still feels like something is binding. I noticed the other day too when I went to the store for a few minutes, I came back and there was something leaking near each front wheel under my truck. Not sure if that's normal, or if maybe the power steering fluid isn't getting to where it needs to go from the switch acting up so it gets pushed out somewhere along the line. Ha, I have no idea what I'm talking about now.

7. Feb 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    $795.42 later, steering is back to perfect.

Turns out my Rack & Pinion needed to be replaced. Toyota's part was almost $1,000, but my mechanic found a new one with O'Reilly for $380.60. Quoted 4.2 hours labor, only 3.5 was needed. Unfortunately, they weren't very good with communicating with me, so they took it to Les Schwab for an alignment for $60+ when I could have gotten a free one with my lifetime alignment with Firestone. Ah well.

My steering was stiff for over 2 months, and literally the morning I decided to take it to the mechanic it was totally fine! Anyway, ran some errands, hit a speed bump, and back to stiff. Took it back and they diagnosed it right away. There weren't any leaks or anything external to see right away. As soon as they got under my truck and started disassembly, they manually turned it and found the intermittent stiffness. Hope this helps.

PS - It had NOTHING to do with the Power Steering Pressure Switch, which my mechanic confirmed was a $35 part FROM Toyota. Wow, what a crock of crap. They said it would have done nothing and showed it to me: it's literally unplug and plug in the new one, and the dealership would've been totally fine taking over $300 from me. Glad I asked first.

Products Discussed in

To Top