1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS light on after front wheel bearing replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wanderer32, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    Wanderer32

Wanderer32 [OP] Member

Member:
    Homeless
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Camburg front suspension lift, OME rear lift
    This past weekend I replaced the driver's side front wheel bearings and hub on my 09 4x4 Tacoma. After getting everything back together I started up the truck, pumped the brake pedal a few times to close up the calipers and took it for a drive. Upon braking an intermittent thumping sound occurred at the driver's side front wheel and reoccurred every time I would brake. I came to the realization that it was the ABS system and knowing the quick trick of disconnecting the wheel sensor under the hood I disconnected and continued driving. The thumping and irregular braking stopped and everything felt smooth. After plugging the sensor back together the ABS doesn't kick in while braking but the ABS and skid control lights on my dash have stayed on (they came on when I disconnected the sensor). I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting my battery and the lights stay on. Any ideas on whether the sensor at the wheel needs replaced or could it have something to do with the new wheel bearings and/or hub? Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    Wanderer32

Wanderer32 [OP] Member

Member:
    Homeless
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Camburg front suspension lift, OME rear lift
    Yes, I pulled the sensor out, wiped it clean with a cloth rag, reinstalled it and the light has stayed on.

3. Nov 2, 2015 at 1:09 AM
    youngfeller

youngfeller Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4x4 Base Model Regular Cab 5spd manual w/ 2.7 4 cyl
    Same problem..... Bump!

4. Nov 2, 2015 at 2:57 AM
    DEMikey

DEMikey Mr. Badwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    mikey
    delaware
    Vehicle:
    2013 red taco
    100XR, OTW Surf Rod Rack, Toytec 3" lift, +1 on tires
    ig you puled the sensor out and cleaned it, i assume you kept the original pickup. is there a chance you pulled a little too hard on the wires? i have seen that a few times in my life. to check the pickup and the wires, unplug the sensor, lift and remove the wheel, and use a volt meter set to AC, put the leads on the sensor, rotate and look for AC voltage. if none, the wire is broken, or the pickup is bad.

5. Nov 2, 2015 at 8:12 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Here's something. It's for a 2009 toyota corolla, but he states having to reset the abs system after replacing an axle. Again, this is for a corolla, so the reset connections could very well be different. But a reset may be what's needed.

http://youtu.be/PD1V6pv2ej0

Edit: I just realized this thread was from 2013. Lol

Hoonigan82 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top