1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Transmission 4.0L, Rought Shifting

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nighthawk87, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Feb 2, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2008 Tacoma 4x4 DC Auto....When I begin from a stop the shifts from 1-2, sometimes from 2-3 and 5-6 are a little rough (actually most of the time).

Sometimes it is verys smooth at making the shift and sometimes it "thunks" into place. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

I don't expect it to shift like a Lexus but I don't think I should be bothered by the shifts. Is there anything I could do? Dealer says its "normal"

Thanks!

2. Feb 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Mine does it... as long as by "thunks" you mean it's more noticeable when it goes into gear. When it happens to me, it's always 1-2 and early in the morning...

3. Feb 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    part of your problem might be that you have a 6 speed auto and as far as i know, i don't think toyota makes any tacoma like that???

4. Feb 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    betz.steven

betz.steven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Southern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2011 TE 4Runner
    mine does it early in the morning as well also when turning onto a decline.

5. Feb 2, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    nighthawk87

Member:
    mine does it all the time....any other ideas what it could be? I wonder if its related to the vibration I get when slowing down around 30-20mph...?

6. Feb 2, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Yup...mine does the same.

Thunks more when its cold.....

Did you ask the dealer to check the fluid leven in the tranny?

(I haven't done this either...just not worried about it)

7. Feb 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    nighthawk87

Member:
    dealer check the fluid level already and stated it was fine, actually 2 dealers checked it lol...

I might try taking it in again. I know I'm a picky person but I truly believe somethings not right.

8. Feb 3, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does it mostly do it when its cold?

9. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    nighthawk87

Member:
    it seems to do it less in the morning when its cold and worse the more I drive it.

10. Feb 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    colvilletacoma

colvilletacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    OME 886 Coils, Bilstein 5100's in Front, Tuff Country in Rear, Custom Racks with winch built in
    Haha wow finally a thread where someone else besides me has had this problem! Mine does it from 1-2, its not just a slight thunk or a slight shift, its a throw you back in your seat shift if you dont let your foot off the gas and let it shift smoother but then it still does it just not as bad. I should be able to accelerate from a dead stop all the way to 60+ without it doing this. The rest of my gears work fine but from 1-2 its so noticable that everyone driving with me has their heads thrown back in their seat. Ive got the "its normal" when I bought it, it has got progressively worse to as Ive had the vehicle. Dealership wont do shit so I have thought about blowing my tranny since I have the extended warranty and just getting a new one.

11. Feb 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Man colville, your not having much luck with your dealer hey? I would try another dealer. That definitely doesn't sound normal. Mine shifts rough but only in the morning when the oil is cold and mostly into 5th. Other then that its like butter!

12. Feb 4, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    colvilletacoma

colvilletacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    OME 886 Coils, Bilstein 5100's in Front, Tuff Country in Rear, Custom Racks with winch built in
    Haha yeah my dealer is no good! Im going to try another dealer in the same town and if they wont do anything then ill have to go to another one in the area. I have quite a few around but they are all like an hour and a half away. Ill try here again soon before my warranty runs out and I have just live with it. Theres no reason why my 05 should shift like shit and my buddies 08 shifts like Johnson & Johnson baby oil on my ass!

Products Discussed in

To Top