LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Interstate or Wallmart replacement battery?

View Poll Results: Which battery choice?
Toyota OEM battery from a dealer for $241 4 5.97%
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus 27F for $165 26 38.81%
Wallmart Everstart Maxx 27N for $103 26 38.81%
Interstate 24F or Duralast Gold 24F battery for around $150-$160 11 16.42%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #41
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I bought an everstart from WM 2 1/2 yrs ago, no issues as of yet. I even left my dome light on overnight and it started right up next morning. It cost around $80-90.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Answering my own question. There is an EverLast 27N and a 27S available at Wallmart. Straight from Wallmart website too, from the link I even provided in my first post.

What does a N or S designation mean

Model numbers that end in either an (N) or (S) are specifically designed for maximum performance in either the northern or southern regions of the U.S.

Also went to the dealership. The one for $241 is actually $199, but they assumed $42 for installation for a total of $241. It is 850cca too. I asked about the Toyota TrueStart 710cca 165 reserve one (p/n:00544-27F60-710) many of you got from the dealer for $100 or less. Apparently they can't order them in Canada...

I will be getting this Wallmart one tomorrow provided it has the correct terminal orientation. It just makes sense for the price and good reviews it gets. Thanks for all suggestions and replies.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #43
RightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant futureRightCoast has a brilliant future
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Brian
RightCoast's Tacoma Gallery
I work in a parts department at a dealer and we use interstate for a lot of applications... Couldn't think of a single bad thing to say, they're a great battery!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #44
Toyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to beholdToyotacerttech is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
Toyotacerttech's Tacoma Gallery
The Toyota batteries, true-2 and true start, that I get at work come off the interstate truck and they are the ones that warranty them when we get a bad one.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #45
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Wallyworld batteries have treated me well surprisingly
Old 01-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #46
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Conclusion:

Ended up getting the Interstate MTP-27F 710cca 165 reserve battery in the end for $160. It probably is the same one as my original Toyota OEM as I've read somewhere that that particular OEM is made by Interstate. Specs and size are same also.

When I went to pick up that EverStart Maxx 27N at Wallmart, sadly I realized terminals are reversed and figured it would be too much trouble. Oh well. Would have loved saving $60 this time around, but sounds like I did get a good product at least. Just to add, I've learned that "N" suffix stands for Northern climate and "S" suffix for southern climate for this battery.

For fellow Canadians, apparently Toyota dealers up here cannot order that particular Toyota TrueStart battery (P/N 00544-27F60-710) that all of the US guys get for $100 or less at the dealer.

Thanks everyone for tons of responses and great help once again.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #47
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Check with NAPA as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #48
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Some battery manufacturers make "North" version formulated for cold climates and a "South" version for hot climates. "27" is the BCI [specification] Group Size. "F" is a subgroup indication for terminal placement originally for Fords. "27N" is an attempt to indicate a BCI Group 27 size for Northern climates, but I do not recall if Walmart specified 27 or 27F terminal placement from Johnson Controls on the EverStart branded batteries. So I would recommend that you check the terminal placement before purchasing the 27N. BTW, Johnson Controls also private labels Toyota's TrueStart, Interstate's MegaTron, and AutoZones' Duralast, but there are performance, capacity, and warranty differences between these batteries affecting their cost.

For more information and tips on buying replacement batteries, please see Section 7 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ 2013 on www.batteryfaq.org.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #49
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
And Johnson Controls makes the batteries here in Bristol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
Some battery manufacturers make "North" version formulated for cold climates and a "South" version for hot climates. "27" is the BCI [specification] Group Size. "F" is a subgroup indication for terminal placement originally for Fords. "27N" is an attempt to indicate a BCI Group 27 size for Northern climates, but I do not recall if Walmart specified 27 or 27F terminal placement from Johnson Controls on the EverStart branded batteries. So I would recommend that you check the terminal placement before purchasing the 27N. BTW, Johnson Controls also private labels Toyota's TrueStart, Interstate's MegaTron, and AutoZones' Duralast, but there are performance, capacity, and warranty differences between these batteries affecting their cost.

For more information and tips on buying replacement batteries, please see Section 7 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ 2013 on www.batteryfaq.org.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #50
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
Get the CHEAPEST battery with the LONGEST free replacement warranty.
Bingo!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 AM   #51
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
I would add to PSJ's advise: "that meets the minimum CCA requirments for the coldest temperature driven in".
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #52
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Can't go wrong with an Interstate, I'd avoid NeverStarts though. Only been able to get 6 months to a year out of those.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #53
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Duralast is crap
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #54
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Workman's stock battery lasted him six years. On the sixth year, he knew that his battery was surely going to quit so Workman started searching for a good deal. He got an Interstate Megatron 27f at commercial tire for 89.99, 25% off.

Workman kind of wonders how much longer his stock battery would have gone though!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #55
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
Go for a optima if your gonna spend that amount of cash, any AGM style battery is better. Stay away from walmart what ever u do, just make sure its the same series battery 27R or what ever.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #56
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Duralast is crap
and you base this assumption on what? i got 10 years out of the last one i had in a 98 jeep...beat that number with your facts !!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #57

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post

Yes, that is a great summary. That is exactly what I've learnt in my research shopping for this battery. You can put it to word much better than I did.

Yes, the Wallmart Everstart was labeled 27N, so basically a 27 group battery, but a version designed for northern climates. I needed 27F (ford standard, terminals reversed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Can't go wrong with an Interstate, I'd avoid NeverStarts though. Only been able to get 6 months to a year out of those.
Purchased Interstate Megatron 27F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Workman's stock battery lasted him six years. On the sixth year, he knew that his battery was surely going to quit so Workman started searching for a good deal. He got an Interstate Megatron 27f at commercial tire for 89.99, 25% off.

Workman kind of wonders how much longer his stock battery would have gone though!
I got the same Megatron 27F in the end. My OEM lasted 6 years as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFalco50 View Post
Go for a optima if your gonna spend that amount of cash, any AGM style battery is better. Stay away from walmart what ever u do, just make sure its the same series battery 27R or what ever.
Yep, got direct replacement 27F for 27F with exactly same specs. If I'm not mistaken, that particular OEM I had was manufactured by Interstate, so quite possibly it is the same battery with different sticker on it. Can't confirm however.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #58
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
and you base this assumption on what? i got 10 years out of the last one i had in a 98 jeep...beat that number with your facts !!
I had one in my last truck. the first one failed me then got it replaced under warranty, then had issues with that so i got a stock ford one
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #59
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
if your ford started on the first try the battery woulda lasted a lot longer...heres your cookie
Old 01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #60
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
if your ford started on the first try the battery woulda lasted a lot longer...heres your cookie
Good one! But that wasn't the case, after I had the OEM in it was fine.