Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Interstate or Wallmart replacement battery?

View Poll Results: Which battery choice?
Toyota OEM battery from a dealer for $241 4 5.97%
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus 27F for $165 26 38.81%
Wallmart Everstart Maxx 27N for $103 26 38.81%
Interstate 24F or Duralast Gold 24F battery for around $150-$160 11 16.42%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Interstate or Wallmart replacement battery?

Hey everyone,

My original Toyota OEM battery on my '07 Tacoma has only 450cca according to my dealership after my last visit a few days ago so I think it is time to replace it for a new one.

Currently I have Toyota OEM 27F class battery under the hood rated at 710cca and 165 reserve min. Truck was purached in September of 2006 so I guess that is not too bad considering it survived 6.5 cold Canadian winters outside of a garage.

I did some research and calling around town, and here are my options. Please let me know what would you pick and why. Thanks.

• 1) Toyota OEM battery from a dealer for $241. (Assuming it is the same 27F, forgot to check, as I thought I must be able to find a cheaper replacement so I really did not care much at the time...)
  • 3) Wallmart Everstart Maxx 27N for $103. Label on top says manufactured by Johnson Controls. Has 3 year replacement warranty. I'm a bit confused by the 27N label. What is the difference between 27N and 27F? Dimensions appear almost identical to the Interstate.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-...ttery/16795241
  • 4) Interstate 24F or Duralast Gold 24F battery for around $150-$160 (about same price as 27F) I would rather stay with 27F as my truck originally came equiped with one.
Basically deciding between the 27F Interstate and 27N Wallmart for the most part. I'm a bit worried to go with a Wallmart branded battery, but than again its made by Johnson Controls etc.

Is it worth spending the extra $60 for an Interstate? Also confused about the 27N label compared to the 27F.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
In re to the 27N versus 27F question
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5890271
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
If it fits securely either will be fine.

In general...

The 27F has more reserve capacity but less CCA

The 24F has more CCA but less reserve capacity.

Either way as long as you're not leaving your headlights on for extended periods of time without the engine running, you'll be fine.
And I threw a poll up
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
kb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to beholdkb1jop is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rick
kb1jop's Tacoma Gallery
In my experience the Walmart branded ones do not last as long. I now have Interstates for both my boat batteries and will get one for the truck when my OEM needs replacing.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post

And I threw a poll up
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What kind of warranty do they have?

I got an OEM battery last year with a 5 year warranty. Paid only slightly more but a better warranty than the others.
Interstate has 30-month (2.5 years) free replacement and 6 year performance warranty.

Wallmart EverStart has 3 years free replacement warranty and 9 year limited warranty.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #6

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

And I threw a poll up
I've read that one a few days ago. Lots of usefull info. I decided to go 27F if possible. Where I'm confused is what is the difference between 27F and 27N.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Optima. You get what you pay for, when it comes to batteries.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #8

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Optima. You get what you pay for, when it comes to batteries.
I haven't found a dealer that sells them around here. There probably is one, unfortunatley from what I've seen online I can't afford those atm.

If you had to pick from the options above, which would you pick? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Tookie is on a distinguished road

Tookie's Tacoma Gallery
I've always had good service from the top Wal-mart batteries (Maxx)
this may help
http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Never had issues with a Wally World battery myself. If it's a 3 year replacement you can't go wrong with that, in MA here I expect to need a new one after 4 years.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure who makes interstate but auto zone and Walmart a battery's are made by the same company, Johnson control. Optimas are ok but I'd go with a sears agm or oreillys agm before an optima.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
I haven't found a dealer that sells them around here. There probably is one, unfortunatley from what I've seen online I can't afford those atm.

If you had to pick from the options above, which would you pick? Thanks.
Autoanything, advanceauto, and amazon.com... Unless you need it today. Advance normally has them in stock.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #13

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tookie View Post
I've always had good service from the top Wal-mart batteries (Maxx)
this may help
http://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm
+1 for wallmart battery. Thats is a great link. Thanks. Still no 27N though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Autoanything, advanceauto, and amazon.com... Unless you need it today. Advance normally has them in stock.
Shipping to Canada would not be free unfortunately. I will have to choose from more affordable batteries at this moment. I will keep them in mind for next time. I may get Optima in a few years when the one I get now quits.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
BreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
BreezyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bosch from pep boys paid $87 with 3 yr warranty. Installed two years ago runs like a champ.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
Tripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tripps2012's Tacoma Gallery
My vote is Interstate but the Walley World (Maxx) would also be a good choice.

As for AGM batteries before I would make that jump I would do some research into them. They are a great battery option, but they are a different beast all together. If you ever find yourself needing to charge the battery you will need a compatable charger. They are very sensitive to charge voltage and a lot of people kill them using a standard charger.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
F, N, and M all designate terminals. The F means the positive is on the righthand side. The M is post type like you see on deep cells. Oddly, I can't find anything on the N.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #17

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. It is mostly between Interstate and Wallmart branded one due to my budget. Sounds like Wally one is fairly reasonable choice for the money even though most votes went to Interstate.

Some of the other ones suggested are either out of my budget or haven't seen them around. I preferably want something locally. Shipping to Canada usually is not an (or not a good) option unfortuantely.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I have a walmart battery and it's been good for 4 years now. If I get 1 more year, I will be happy. I only paid $70 for it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #19

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
F, N, and M all designate terminals. The F means the positive is on the righthand side. The M is post type like you see on deep cells. Oddly, I can't find anything on the N.
Do I understand this correctly?

24F or 27F - positive is on right hand side
24, 24R or 27, 27R - positive is on left hand side
27N - not sure yet. (Should be same size/capacity as 27F, 27R or 27 due to being 27 class)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
not sure how you are getting $241 for a Toyota dealer battery. They cost $90 to $100 at the stealerships here.