Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Serious Offroaders on 35's or bigger

Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #101
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, your 22........... Nevermind. anyway this thread is for adults, sorry I should have been clear.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #102
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i don't have 35s yet, but i can comment on the wheelbase issue. Like wyatt said earlier, it's about knowing how to use your dimensions to your advantage.
for every high center obstacle out there, there is an equal number of uphill trail sections that your longer wheelbase will ascend more easily than the short wheelbase guys (not just jeeps).

this is a big decision, so it's not just the vehicle you'll have to take into account. do you see yourself living and wheeling at your current trails for a while, or will you possibly move somewhere else? if so, how are the trails there different, and what set of vehicle dimensions will give you more benefit. with your experience, i'm sure you've seen different vehicles excel over one another based on terrain type.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #103
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Colin, no I don't see myself moving anytime soon and even if I did I wouldn't see my decision as being any different. I agree with a longer wheelbase climbing better. I got the 4 door Jk so it has a 116'' wheelbase so still a bit long for some trails. The general consensus for rock crawling is that about 110'' (give or take)wheelbase is ideal. Individuals will disagree of course based on their own experience but if you put it to a vote 110 would be pretty much where you want to be.

That said, I'm not going to exclusively rock crawl by any means as I like doing a variety of terrain, so the 116'' is going to serve me perfect I suspect. The tacoma at 127, great for open desert or mild wheeling, not so much in other conditions. Either way you give up a little going shorter or longer, for me it was about finding what was going to work best for my needs.

I have looked at a lot of the jeepspeed stuff and some individual testing of production model JK's for races like KOH and it can also be built to go very fast through the desert as well.

This is the direction I'm going sort of a jack of all trades vehicle. I wont be the best at either end of the spectrum rock crawling or pre-running I just want to go out with either crowd and do respectable.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #104
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Always run into this guy on the trails..funny how it happens that way..offroading is a small world. His jeep his pretty badass. When they are built right they can perform and be reliable, but that goes with any rig
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #105

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty nice rig. Yep I think the discussion of which is better is old and played. Both Toyota and Jeep are at the top of the food chain for offroad. Toyota does a bit better in open desert and Jeep does a bit better in tight trails. Pick your poison.

I'm speaking of production based rigs that are suitable for daily drivers also. The types of rigs mere mortals can own, build and drive.

If I put $750,000 into a school bus I could probably build it to do anything.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #106

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
It appears the childeren are back at it again. What kind of coward sends someone negative rep but wont put their name? I guess thats what shitty parenting gets you.

Anyway no need to send an anonymous note. Grow up and be a man, or just go smoke pole and stay out of the thread.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #107
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the rubicon on 40's
Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #108
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Hey Colin, no I don't see myself moving anytime soon and even if I did I wouldn't see my decision as being any different. I agree with a longer wheelbase climbing better. I got the 4 door Jk so it has a 116'' wheelbase so still a bit long for some trails. The general consensus for rock crawling is that about 110'' (give or take)wheelbase is ideal. Individuals will disagree of course based on their own experience but if you put it to a vote 110 would be pretty much where you want to be.

That said, I'm not going to exclusively rock crawl by any means as I like doing a variety of terrain, so the 116'' is going to serve me perfect I suspect. The tacoma at 127, great for open desert or mild wheeling, not so much in other conditions. Either way you give up a little going shorter or longer, for me it was about finding what was going to work best for my needs.

I have looked at a lot of the jeepspeed stuff and some individual testing of production model JK's for races like KOH and it can also be built to go very fast through the desert as well.

This is the direction I'm going sort of a jack of all trades vehicle. I wont be the best at either end of the spectrum rock crawling or pre-running I just want to go out with either crowd and do respectable.
understand completely where you are coming from. 110 is indeed a great middleground, so the 116 of the 4 door will be nice. long enough to handle well at speed, while not doing front and back flips every time you go up or down a hill, yet short enough to yeild a noticable difference in tight trails and clearance angles over the tacoma.

the expedition and overland genre is fantastic subset of offroading, but in it's purest form, the trails seem tend to be easier than the norm for a lot of us. I am going for a dual purpose truck (fast and crawling), and the best was i would describe it was agressive expedition/overland. sounds like you want the same thing.

I'm sure you've seen it, but Icon has a fantastic video of their suspension on a 4-door wrangler absolutely flying.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #109
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Why was name calling introduced into this thread!? Is this a "well he did it so I could do it" case!? Come on now. Part of "being a grownup" is not being a hypocrite and name calling when someone does or says something u don't like. Not trying to start shit so name calling towards me is inappropriate. Just figured I'd point that out.

So anyway, glad u are getting what u want. U should enjoy the upsides to the Jeep.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #110
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got the 4 door. FYI this is not a thread to bash one vehicle or the other, especially if you do not own a 2013 JK so have no experience with the current model year. All other years of Jeep are irrelevant to the discussion.

Once I take possession of the vehicle I will give an honest review and assessment of the 2013 JKU. I don't have brand loyalty so if I feel something is better than the other, its out with the old in with the new. Same reason i did not buy a 2011 JK and instead got a 2011 Tacoma. At that time in that year, the Tacoma was the right choice for me. Things have changed.
amen! can't judge two vehicles when you no has experience with BOTH of them.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #111

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Go with the rubicon on 40's
I like how you think! Gonna start out with the more modest 37 though

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
the expedition and overland genre is fantastic subset of offroading, but in it's purest form, the trails seem tend to be easier than the norm for a lot of us. I am going for a dual purpose truck (fast and crawling), and the best was i would describe it was agressive expedition/overland. sounds like you want the same thing.

I'm sure you've seen it, but Icon has a fantastic video of their suspension on a 4-door wrangler absolutely flying.
Yea I like to do a wide variety of stuff for sure and honestly my truck would do most of that just fine. Maybe I have a case of "grass is always greener, we shall see!

I don't think I saw the ICON video I will look for it, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
glad u are getting what u want. U should enjoy the upsides to the Jeep.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
amen! can't judge two vehicles when you no has experience with BOTH of them.

You COULD judge, it just wouldn't have much meaning
I just know there are at least a handful of folks who have been in my shoes and may get something from this thread, just wanted to offer some honest feedback regarding my decsion so down the road it may help someone either decide to stay the course with the Tacoma or look to something else more appropriate.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #112
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd just to see your new Jeep
Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #113

Awesome video, and crazy how well the jeep does.......the guy that built that floppy tire carrier should be slapped though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZwMMlL-L_g
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #115
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Well I have had both. So it was a 2008 JK and not a 2013...thats like saying a 2013 Tacoma is all that different from a 2008 Tacoma. Its the same model, different year...minor variations but overall the same vehicle...oh well.

I have had both and wheeled both. I would take the taco hands down over the Jeep for the reasons I previously stated. I just didnt like the leaky door seals that they could fix, the wind noise, and topping off the oil every time I gassed up.

Hope your experience turns out better than mine.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #117
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Always run into this guy on the trails..funny how it happens that way..offroading is a small world. His jeep his pretty badass. When they are built right they can perform and be reliable, but that goes with any rig
Yeah, those JK's are pretty cool when they are built right. Jeep finally got it right with that one.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #118
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh, your 22........... Nevermind. anyway this thread is for adults, sorry I should have been clear.
Lol. Maybe you're confused. You threw your maturity right out the window with that comment.

I've been wheeling for all 22 of these years. And I'm an automotive tech. I know a little about jeeps. But I'm sure you know everything about everything, being older. Hahaha.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #119

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Thats great, now beat it kid.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #120
AllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to beholdAllMountainToy is a splendid one to behold
AllMountainToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
oh this make me miss my JKU. I know that is blasphemy here. sorry