1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Serious Offroaders on 35's or bigger

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rsbmg, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Jan 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    understand completely where you are coming from. 110 is indeed a great middleground, so the 116 of the 4 door will be nice. long enough to handle well at speed, while not doing front and back flips every time you go up or down a hill, yet short enough to yeild a noticable difference in tight trails and clearance angles over the tacoma.

the expedition and overland genre is fantastic subset of offroading, but in it's purest form, the trails seem tend to be easier than the norm for a lot of us. I am going for a dual purpose truck (fast and crawling), and the best was i would describe it was agressive expedition/overland. sounds like you want the same thing.

I'm sure you've seen it, but Icon has a fantastic video of their suspension on a 4-door wrangler absolutely flying.

2. Jan 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    Why was name calling introduced into this thread!? Is this a "well he did it so I could do it" case!? Come on now. Part of "being a grownup" is not being a hypocrite and name calling when someone does or says something u don't like. Not trying to start shit so name calling towards me is inappropriate. Just figured I'd point that out.

So anyway, glad u are getting what u want. U should enjoy the upsides to the Jeep. ;)

3. Jan 31, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    I like how you think! Gonna start out with the more modest 37 though:cool:

Yea I like to do a wide variety of stuff for sure and honestly my truck would do most of that just fine. Maybe I have a case of "grass is always greener, we shall see!

I don't think I saw the ICON video I will look for it, thanks

Thank you

You COULD judge, it just wouldn't have much meaning;)
    I just know there are at least a handful of folks who have been in my shoes and may get something from this thread, just wanted to offer some honest feedback regarding my decsion so down the road it may help someone either decide to stay the course with the Tacoma or look to something else more appropriate.

4. Jan 31, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Sub'd just to see your new Jeep :wave:

5. Jan 31, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
  6. Jan 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    So u said u were gonna try and do an all around build ....... Go with a King of Hammers style build then.

7. Jan 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    Well I have had both. So it was a 2008 JK and not a 2013...thats like saying a 2013 Tacoma is all that different from a 2008 Tacoma. Its the same model, different year...minor variations but overall the same vehicle...oh well.

I have had both and wheeled both. I would take the taco hands down over the Jeep for the reasons I previously stated. I just didnt like the leaky door seals that they could fix, the wind noise, and topping off the oil every time I gassed up.

Hope your experience turns out better than mine.

8. Jan 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
  9. Feb 1, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    awsumdc

awsumdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    O.C. Cali
    Vehicle:
    SASED '05 Taco
    SAS, crawler box, 14" coilover shocks, 39.5 tires,dual batteries, and a bunch of other stuff
    Yeah, those JK's are pretty cool when they are built right. Jeep finally got it right with that one.

10. Feb 1, 2013 at 6:12 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Lol. Maybe you're confused. You threw your maturity right out the window with that comment.

I've been wheeling for all 22 of these years. And I'm an automotive tech. I know a little about jeeps. But I'm sure you know everything about everything, being older. Hahaha.

11. Feb 1, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Thats great, now beat it kid.

12. Feb 1, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    oh this make me miss my JKU. I know that is blasphemy here. sorry

13. Feb 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    For the record, you sir are the one acting the most childish in your own thread.

14. Feb 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Yes that makes perfect sense. It appears obvious to me the thread was moving along smoothly until some ridiculous snide remarks were made. Which is how threads always go downhill.

Bottom line is if you have nothing constructive to add just go away. Why continue to post on a thread where your only reason for being there is to make inflammatory comments you know are going to cause conflict?

Its one thing if you want to make some jokes and keep it light, thats fine but if thats your intent then make it known otherwise its just useless drivel that detracts from the thread.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

15. Feb 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    There is a 4door black JK around here that looks similar to the green one that was posted. It looks so gnarly! One day I'll own one and a Tacoma! And the 85 4Runner that I want so bad!

16. Feb 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    That would be the way to do it. Have em all! I'm to impatient to wait though:eek:

17. Feb 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Just picked her up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Feb 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

And the most important one of all.....

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top