1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Serious Offroaders on 35's or bigger

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rsbmg, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    First off I debated where to put this because it fits nicely in so many sections but I chose 2nd Gen because ultimately its about continuing to Mod my second Gen, or not.

So I'm at the point with my truck where I need to make a decision. I am seeing the limitations in the over all dimensions of my truck (length, width, wheelbase, breakover approach/departure angle etc..

I am on ext. travel fox's and TC UCA's with 33's.

So the debate is do I dump more money into the truck with a two over kit maybe some custom links in the rear and go 35's or sell the truck, buy a JK and put the money into that starting off with a minimum of 37's?

I thought about the SAS option but seriously it makes no sense to me and thats just my personal opinion. So thats off the table.

I just look at the tacoma as a nice truck and capable but its never going to be anything more than what is it, meaning you can only take it so far and then you tap out unless you want to dump 50k into it. So I'm looking down the road saying at this point anything I want to do to it is going to require some significant modification and even then, at some point 35's and the dimensional handicaps are going to come back into play.

For you guys who are already at 35's and doing serious trails (serious being subjective) Are you happy with 35's? If you could go bigger would you? Drivetrain issues? 35's is about it for the tacoma yes?

If you had to do it all over knowing what you know today would you still have dumped all that money into the tacoma or would you have selected another platform?

All opinions welcome:D

2. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    I love have 35's on the trail. It makes obstacles seem smaller lol and the extra height is a bonus! For what I do no I wouldn't go bigger, don't have a need to unless it was a dedicated crawler

3. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I seem to remember you being adamant about 35s being "borrowed time". :p

4. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    Well thats really part of my question here

5. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Well... lots of guys on 35s running em hard, harder than me and do fine. Then again I broke mine not doing much so... hit and miss I guess. I like em

6. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:19 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    A little morning bump for more opinions

7. Jan 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    I like my 37's...loved my 35's too...

2012-09-01173521_747b186552fb9fb7bff99e1d3d6478466d5fb5c6.jpg

And another thing to remember is...SECOND GENS DO IT WITH STYLE. :cool:

8. Jan 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Your on 37's with the All Pro 2'' over kit right? Or is the SAS all done now but build thread isnt caught up? What are your reasons for wanting to SAS your truck vs buying something that doesn't require as much time, money and fab work?

I think it may just boil down to cost vs the perceived improvement of those costs. Some see the value and others don't?

I looked for your build thread on ttora but didn't see it, do you have a link handy?

9. Jan 18, 2013 at 5:32 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    AP 2" Kit and 37's. SAS is in progress but the divorce is holding things up right now.

If I could do it all over again, I would have left my truck stock and bought a crawler to play around in. But at the time I didnt have the extra cash laying around.

Now that I am where I am in my build, I wouldnt want anything else. I like being in a late model on the trails. Anyone can buy or build a cheap old crawler, how many 2nd Gens do you see on the trails that are back-halfed and completely built out. Not many. Sure theres some with bolt on bumpers and spacer lifts or coilovers, but I mean serious off-road trucks. Ones that follow the tube buggies around to show what a Yota can do?

Also I am a mechanical engineer so I like to tinker with all this and constantly change it up anyways. I really enjoy the fabbing/building portion almost as much as I enjoy wheeling it when its done.

Not much more on TTORA than over here, except some stuff about the fridge and tubbing for the 37's.

10. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    Wicked 2007

Wicked 2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AT DC SB 4x4
    2007 Tacoma Double Cab SB 4WD - Auto -TRD Off Road - Icon Billet UCA - 8" ORI Front Struts - Bilstein 5100 11" RCD Shock - AllPro Expo Springs - Demello Sliders - Tom Woods 1 Piece Driveshaft - 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims - Locker Mod - Locker Guard - 35" MT MTZ's - ARB Bumper - Warn 8000 winch w/synthetic line - All-Pro Front Skid/Transmission Skid/Rear Armor - ARB Front Locker - Nitro 4.56 gears - Marlin 4.7 crawl box - Twin Stick FJ t-case - ATO high clearance rear bumper
    I have had zero issues running 35's for some time now. This is on a 2.5" lift. I am happy with the clearance I have and I can tackle any trail I try.

The best thing I did to the truck was putting a marlin crawl box in (along with and FJ twin stick t-case) - it really opens a new world to wheeling - keeps the truck slow, good traction and stuff from breaking.

I put and ARB in the front and run 4.56 gears. Doing it over I would have gone for 4.88

I carry around 2 spare CV's with me on every trip and I have yet to break one... knock on wood.

11. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your replies guys they are appreciated. I agree there is something satisfying about doing the same trails in my truck that my buddies in jeeps do, especially when the trail conversation starts out with, "I don't think your going to be able to get your truck through here"

My dilemma is really as much as I enjoy getting my truck through trails, I do max out its capabilities at times simple because of its size. Being high centered is sometimes a fact of life.

I also see its limit at 35's. Although you can break at any tire size I think 35's is sort of that upper limit for reliability. 50% will break 50% will be fine sort of thing.

Its kind of like the jeep guys that run 37's on their dana 30, same thing 50% run it for years with no issues, 50% break.

There is no shortage of broken R&P's not to mention CV's, Steering racks etc.. on the tacomas especially at 35's.

Like most my truck is my transportation to and from the trails so reliability is important to me and I drive very mindful of the fact that if I break on the trail I'm screwed.

Anyway as I said originally I'm debating a JK purchase so everyone's opinions are invaluable and appreciated!

12. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    Wicked 2007

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AT DC SB 4x4
    2007 Tacoma Double Cab SB 4WD - Auto -TRD Off Road - Icon Billet UCA - 8" ORI Front Struts - Bilstein 5100 11" RCD Shock - AllPro Expo Springs - Demello Sliders - Tom Woods 1 Piece Driveshaft - 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims - Locker Mod - Locker Guard - 35" MT MTZ's - ARB Bumper - Warn 8000 winch w/synthetic line - All-Pro Front Skid/Transmission Skid/Rear Armor - ARB Front Locker - Nitro 4.56 gears - Marlin 4.7 crawl box - Twin Stick FJ t-case - ATO high clearance rear bumper
    I've debated the same thing myself - should i get a trail rig and just start with a JK?

I think it depends on what you want to do. Sometimes I do more serious wheeling and other times its used in an expedition fashion (long trips, dry camping, etc.). A JK is just to small for me to do any kind of long camping trips.

Ive also debated the SAS and that just brings me back to why not invest that 10-12K into a JK?

For now I am happy with my Tacoma - its gets me where I want to go and has the space I need. With 35's, F/R lockers and a marlin crawl box - even I am surprised on where I Can go and what I can do. It makes me think - how much more will a SAS and 37's (or bigger) get me? I am sure a little, but is it worth the 10-15K investment? Will I be able to DD it ann to and from trails once I do this? These are the things I think about.

If I ever get to that point I would most likely keep my tacoma - since I can DD it and it great for wheeling and camping. If I want to build a true serious rock crawler - I think spending that chunk of SAS change towards a dedicated rig is the way to go.

Hope I did just confuse things more - but thats where I am.

I would say invest in a marlin crawl box - even if you decide to SAS your tacoma you are going to want/need one.

13. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I should have bought my crawler from the very start and maybe a cheap moped for a DD instead.. :cookiemonster:

But to answer your question..night and day difference with 35" tires. You don't get hungup as much. Seen it many times where just as little as a 1/4" extra clearance over the next guy is priceless and the difference of rather or not the strap or winch line is coming out .

14. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    For sure there are trade offs with any vehicle choice, but I have a trailer on 30's which I can get quite a few places for camping and its light, around 1500 loaded so losing half the towing capacity with the jeep isnt a big deal. While losing obviously my exterior storage capability I will increase my interior storage by going JK. I do love the utility of the bed though, it has helped many a broken down dirt bikers out in the desert. Its nice to just tos their bike in the back and get em back to camp. Cant do that with a jeep.

I have thought about just building a toy for offroad but then that creates a whole new problem. I cant tow a toy and the trailer so I would have to ditch the trailer and get an RV which means I cant get all the places I can now OR I go back to a tent both of which are not desirable. But building a toy is not completely off the table either.

I agree 35's would for sure help but then I am looking ahead saying 35's will solve the problem on some trails but others I will again be in the same boat needing 37's, then 40's etc..... Plus the tacoma is not getting any thinner and I feel like I'm driving a bus through some of the narrower trails haha

I suppose if I was rolling in dough I would just get one of everything but I'm a regular working man haha

I hate working overtime....................

15. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
  16. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    Wicked 2007

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AT DC SB 4x4
    I agree with it all man - only money gets in the way :)

IMO once you "need" 37 or bigger, you are most likely doing trails that typically for more dedicated rigs vs a nice DD. Not saying you couldn't drive it on the streets - Ive been in Wyatt's truck before on the street and she runs great just not sure I'd drive across state in it... wear and tear, gas, tires, etc

17. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    I traded my 11' JK with 35s for my taco, I loved 2 things about the jeep 1 it was a beast off road made everything I did super easily, and 2 it was fun to drive downtown and places with tight parking. But I hated everything else about it... For me I couldn't justify spending so much money on a daily driver that I really only liked offroad. Just my .02 whether you stay Toyota or go jeep your going to be spending money just like the issues your experiencing with the taco you will reach a point in a JK, JEEP ( just empty every pocket). Spend some time on jeep forums and maybe that will help you make the decision that's right for you and your needs.

18. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Sweet Video!

I should come clean and admit I have had 3 Jeeps so I really do have a soft spot for them. I am still a member on a few jeep forums, ALL my buddies have jeeps etc..Although I have had a first Gen before as well.

I Originally bought the Tacoma because I felt it was just a better vehicle for road trips considering I like many need to drive to the trails. I also bought it for camping but then that changed because of the trailer.

Now that I have test drove the 2013 JKU Rubi I realized the jeep is light years ahead comfort wise of where they were even just a few years ago.

The new Pentastar is pretty good. Its no Hemi but it is better.

Road noise was an issue before with jeeps but my GF commented that she thought the jeep was quieter to her than my tacoma. I think its wash on the road noise.

My GF liked the interior better than the Tacoma and I have to agree, I really liked the interior.

Front & rear locked new Generation 44's front and rear are a nice place to start as well and with the 4:10's I think I could squeek by without a gear change for a few months. Will I outgrow the 37's eventually? Perhaps, but my thinking is I have a longer time before I desire a change in a jeep with 37's than I do in a tacoma with 35's. And when that desire comes to change, I can change with less outlay of cash than it would cost to SAS and link the tacoma.

Thats really where my mind is at right now. Believe me this jeep issue comes up about every 3 months in my house and my GF is sick of going through it haha

If I could keep the taco and get a jeep that would be awesome but its simply not possible. I just dont want to get the jeep and then 3 months later be like fuck what did I do.

Also Taco or Jeep its only my play vehicle not my DD. It is only used for offroad or camping hence the reason I have 10k miles on my 2011.

19. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    Jeep =. Less money

Tacoma = more money

To get both trucks to the same spot.

All in all. I have 35's on a Tacoma. BUT I could have had a rubicon on 40's with all the cash I have spent on the truck

20. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    Ghost848

Ghost848 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Alberta,Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 TRD OR Silver M6
    OME + Dakers, 285/75R16 Nitto Trail Grapplers, ARB Bumper, Columbia overland Dual battery, Super winch,CC stage 4 clutch, bestop supertop, URD TO bearing, BHLM headlights, Cruisin offroad rear bumper, Harrop front E-locker.
    would love to a trip like that in the video.... I dont have 35 though so ill be quiet.. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top