1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Concern or coincidence?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yacoltyota, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jan 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    TheHansen

TheHansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    I wonder if making the truck shift while the tires are spinning like that could have been part of the cause. Hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable could chime in on this.

2. Jan 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I doubt it, these autos shift pretty smoothly with no grinding. Possibly a little more strain on the clutches/brakes but I doubt much, since it probably is no different than shifting under normal load for them. They were just towards the end of their life due to overheating and it was their time to go. Most likely the tranny fluid was bad from being overheated a time or two during all that towing and it was slowly wearing out the wet clutches and they finally gave out. A fluid change probably could have helped the tranny out a lot, but since the previous owner is likely the one that ruined the tranny and warranty covered it for OP, this was best for him.

3. Jan 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    Yacoltyota

Yacoltyota [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2013 sport spruce mica
    From what I recall I didn't hit high enough wheel speed for it to shift I could be wrong, I don't think that would cause damage tho. I was gonna get my tranny serviced at 60k but now that I'm getting a new one guess I don't need too. Either way I have decided not to worry about it and still use my locker mod lets all just hope this crap don't happen again

4. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM
    TheHansen

TheHansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    Makes sense. I've always put my truck in 1 if I'm going to break traction because I was nervous about making it shift under those conditions.

OP is a lucky man.

Products Discussed in

To Top