1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I in the wrong here

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 97lt1ta, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    97lt1ta

97lt1ta [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner
    Alright little back story just picked up my 07 dblc Trd sport prerunner back in december been looking for it for about 5 months and finally found it for the price I want with the miles. Long story short it was very clean and runs great. I get it home and me in my anal nature starts finding little issues wrong.

I do realize its a used vehicle and that there will be imperfections but while I still have the 30 day free warranty I might as well find anything I can get away with. What I find is there are 5 tiny bubbles in the driver side tint, Driver side mud flap was missing, radio bezel had a two small scratches, the hazard button stuck and had chips on it, and the Trd sport decal was coming off a little on the t.

So I take it to car max they said no problem we will take care of it even though the tint and decal are cosmetic and normally wouldn't cover it. I was pretty stoked they ordered the parts said they would call me when the parts are in and to set up an appointment.

After a week I called them and said yeah we were just about to call you would Tuesday work. I asked what time she said they only accept appointments between 7and 9 am and are only open till 530pm. It was a huge hassle to get my car in at the time cause I work mon -fri 1am till 4pm. I had my roommate swap cars with me and he dropped it off. They said they needed it all day to do it.

No biggy so everything is going great I got off waited around for their call. 5pm came around so I called and the yet again said I was about to call you your truck is ready. I get down there and they said they couldn't put the decal in cause it didn't come in yet. I said ok what about the tint radio bezel ect. They go oh we only replaced the mud flap and hazard button. So I start getting pissed cause it took them over 8 hours to do something that would take me 10 min.

Now I have to come back again and inconvenient my roommate yet again to get the other issues fixed. So at this point I'm getting a little pissed but ill get over it. I go out to the truck and there is a huge hole in my driver side seat now. So now I'm pissed I get the guy back out there and I ask to speak with his boss.

Manager comes out and I just couldn't hold my temper so I was going on about how it took so long to fix the car and didnt even fix everything said I might as well pick up the parts and put them in myself. He answers back saying if you did that we wouldn't be able to warranty the labor. I go off on this poor bastard first thing no shit your not going to warranty labor that I did and second I wouldn't of had to wait around all day to get it. And third there wouldn't be a hole in my seat. He then goes on to say well they can't prove that it wasn't already like that when I drove it in.

I then screamed at him and asked to speak to his boss. His boss came out and said they would patch it. I asked what does that mean patch. He said we take basically a glue gun and melt it back together. This is unexceptable they should recover the whole damn seat am I right or being a dick ?

Excuse my grammar and spelling on my phone

2. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    you had a bad day..i will say that you are right and they should fix everything that is wrong

3. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Karma. You knew it was used.

4. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    Are you positive that hole wasn't already in your seat? It sounds like there are plenty of other things you did not see as well. I don't think you should have yelled at them like that. You can get plenty of things across by speaking calmly and confidently. Congrats on the truck anyhow.

5. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R

dude i can see the missing mudflap, possibly the sticky hazard button.... but cmon, a sticker? and scratches on the radio bezel? dafuq?

bought it used, i wouldve just picked up the parts and done it myself if it bothered me that much. :notsure:

6. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM
    97lt1ta

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner
    Well yes I realize its a used car and i wouldnt have cared if they said they wouldnt fix it but they did so they should stand by it and when I bought it I noticed the mud flap was missing and I told the rep after situation I don't hold him responsible because I know shit happens but with the torn seat yes it looks like somebody stuck a screw driver in the side of it. I was calm until they said they weren't going to fix the rip and calling me a liar to my face

7. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    97lt1ta

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner
    Like I said before I know it's used but seeing what I could get away with I don't care if they didn't fix the issues that were stated above but they said they would I'm pissed and only screamed cause they put a hole in my fucking seat and dicked me around for two weeks

8. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    You bought used, so yes, anything wrong is AS IS normally.

But, the dealership said they would cover the issues. SO it is on them. They claimed they would cover the issues, hold them to it. I sold cars for many rears on and off. We promised things all the time. 90% of the customers came back to get the stuff done with NO ISSUES. But the other 10%, raked us over the coals. Still they got what they wanted.

Ask them for a loaner car. Also, get everything they promised on a "WE OWE" slip. Or get it in writing.

Another word of advise for anyone. Grab a newspaper the day of the work to be done. Snap photos of the vehicle in and out with the paper in as many photos as possible. Interior, exterior, scuffs, marks holes stains scratches, etc. or ifs its cherry, same thing.

I did the same to ALL the vehicles I have ever owned. When a client dropped off a car at the dealership, if it was my client, I would do the same thing to their car and pick it up from service and snap more photos. If there was a descrepancy after the fact. There was proof either way.

Same with rentals.

9. Jan 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    cwinterhalter

cwinterhalter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock Taco
    Extang Solid Fold, BedRug
    You had a good case up to the point you lost your cool... When you blow up you give them a reason to dismiss you for your behavior. You should have told them what "you were told they would handle" and asked him if it was reasonable for you to expect them to live up to a commitment made by an employee? If the guy didn't budge, you should have asked for his card and asked who you should contact at their corporate office to resolve the issue. At that point you head home, pound out a email with all the details, express how disappointed you are in your experience with the company etc. Ask to be contacted by phone.. Chances are good they would fix the issues, toss in a few free oil changes etc for the inconvience etc.... And apologized to boot...

10. Jan 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    97lt1ta

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner
    Maybe I over reacted but huge ordeal leading to damage sucks

11. Jan 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    You were wrong from the start trying to "get away" with asking them to fix shit that aren't even warranty items.

It's a 5 year old truck, as is.

Why they agreed to any of it is anybodies guess, you dicked them around.

12. Jan 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    For reference, the piece of upholstery covering the seat cushion is about $250.

If CarMax absolutely won't budge on replacement, just let them patch it shut. Order Wet Okoles and cover it up. It's money you would be spending anyway if you visit this forum long enough. :D

SeatCovers1_aa385e5d14c86d8b0437101eeecfc6d14c0b4820.jpg

Picture from 07tacoswb's post in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/180116-wet-okole-photos-2.html

13. Jan 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Bullshit, he asked, they agreed. Simple as that. Loosing his cool was not KOOL, but in his right for being dicked around. Having your property damaged warrants unpredictable reactions from people.

Legally binging contract (verbal agreement) in some states. Personally, I wouldn't contact the customer to bring in their vehicle until ALL the work could be completed. I would keep them in the loop ever couple of days with status updates.

This dealership clearly lacks professionalism and proper communication skills. "I was just getting ready to call you" is code for 'I forgot'

I SOLD CARD FOR YEARS! WE PROMISE SOMETHING, WE ARE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR IT!

14. Jan 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Also, the correct thing to do would be to cal back or GO back and apologise to the people. Then explain yourself in a cool calm and collected manner.

15. Jan 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    yep, that one. one dick never warrants two. hope they fix that hole for you but the other stuff is used car stuff. like buying it then getting mad at the mileage when you suddenly noticed the odometer

16. Jan 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I don't sell cars anymore. But when I did, I made lots of money being honest and following through with my deals maintaining contact throughout all the important dates every year.

17. Jan 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    Bringing a vehicle to Car Max in general, is like watching two monkeys try to F@#k a coconut.

18. Jan 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This. I wouldn't let them touch my truck. Maybe let them order the parts, but I'd do the install..

19. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.

This.

20. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:07 AM
    scottw1

scottw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Tacoma 4x4
    Lighted 4wd dial, Sirus XM radio
    To answer your question, yes, you are in the wrong.
    I pretty much agree with everyone. Its a used truck, not a new one. Cosmetic items are not going to be perfect. Especially on a 07.
    Order what you need and do the work yourself.

I'm in the same boat you are. I just got a 2010. The antenna was broke off and I had the dealer order a new one. No way was I going to let a stealership drill into my antenna and pull it out w/ an easy out. They probably would have rushed and f'd something up.

Products Discussed in

To Top