1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil drain washers - I'm curious

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by oldstick, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    oldstick

oldstick [OP] Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I thought of a very important topic that needs discussion..

Has anyone ever actuallly experienced any kind of problem by not replacing these regularly?

I don't recall ever replacing one on any type of vehicle and I never had a drop leak from the drain plug. The first time I ever even heard anyone mention this concept, was when we bought a brand new 2003 Isuzu Rodeo. They gave me a few coupons, oil and filter change for $9.99 or something like that.

So when I went in for the first time, they said "Sir, just so you understand, that coupon price does not include a Genuine Certified Isuzu gasket. We'll use an off brand unless you want to pay extra $$."

I was slack jawed because that was not a concern or decision I ever expected to be confronted with. Don't even remember what I replied but it should have been don't replace, leave the original.

A lot of cars I've owned didn't even have a gasket and they never leaked either. Of course I glance it and if its broken I probably will look for some replacement then, but I don't recall ever having to do that. And the "cheap insurance" argument doesn't make sense to me either. The potential for anything bad is almost negligent other than a couple oil drops on your white driveway until it's fixed.

2. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    Its there so its more difficult for boneheads to strip out the drain plug.

3. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    A dealership part's department employee gave me a bunch of them for free when I bought a few filters. They cost like $0.10/ea so, even though you seem to disagree with the cheap insurance argument, that's exactly what it is. You can get away with reusing them but I don't see the benefit. It's just a nylon washer, you can pick them up at most hardware stores if you don't want to buy the Toyota one. It takes up the slack if there is any discrepancy in the machining between the bottom of the oil pan and the bolts flange. It also helps prevent people from overtightening their drain plugs as mentioned above.

4. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    I think alot depends on the pan, and how tight the drain plug is installed. They're supposedly made of a softer alloy to crush and seal, to avoid deforming the pan, or striping the threads...or maybe I just drank the koolaid, and don't mind paying the coupla cents for it

5. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    scottw1

scottw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Tacoma 4x4
    Lighted 4wd dial, Sirus XM radio
    Never had an issue w/out one. However, if it is there, I'll make sure it stays there. Toyota put it there for a reason.

6. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    RV7Garage

RV7Garage R.O.U.S.

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Ill Annoy
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Offroad, Nautical Blue
    Disable DRL, Jailbreak Fog Lights, ARE topper
    Toyota puts lots of things there for a reason... :rolleyes: that don't mean its a good reason :D

Me, I just change the oil and re-use. Never had a problem over manymany oil changes

7. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Its a sealing ring, When they wear out or pinch or crack you will leak oil. Id recommend to change it everytime but you can get away with every few changes.

8. Jan 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    Mine was not there when I bought it. Until I read on this forum about it, I never even thought about it. 5 oil changes later, I have yet to replace it, and yet to have a leak.

9. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    texascolt45

texascolt45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    groves texas
    Vehicle:
    prerunner 4 cylinder
    wheels,bilsteins,side bars
    i change them every other oil change.

10. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    i have never replaced them on any of my vehicles . i haven't had a problem yet.

11. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    I flip them over each oil change, an replace the next time.

12. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I get 3 filters for 15 bucks and the washers are thrown in.....cheap insurance, and factory toyota

13. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Its there simply to create a seal between two steel parts that hold fluid.A steel pan and a steel bolt dont want to seal very well without a softer material between. They can usually be reused, but also a good idea to change them every time if you just get a bunch off the bat.

It is not there to prevent stripping, its simply a seal. If somebody is gonna strip it, they will probably succeed in spite of an aluminum coated washer. That just happens to be an added bonus allowing a bit more of a warning before it strips out.

14. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem

Please tell that to the toyota engineers from japan I worked directly with for 2 weeks when replacing an awd unit on one of the first matrix's we got at my dealership.

Aside from being a seal (obviously) that was the second reason I was given when I asked that question (why do we use these drain plug washers?) directly.

Of course you could strip it if you wanted. The crush washer is there to take some of the brunt so the person will stop torquing the bolt.

15. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    If they are anything like the engineers i work with (aerospace) they are probably pretty clueless. Thats why we have torque values not a seal ring to tell you when to stop.

16. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    I reuse mine until it wears out. I have used the nylon and silicone washers. The type I have been using lately is a metal one with a silicone ring on the inside that helps seal the threads.

17. Jan 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    MrTacoma

MrTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Base v6
    None
    ^ like guy above me, I ussally dont switch out washers either.according to truck records i havent changed the washer since last oil change i did in 2011...and my truck has not burned, leaked, loss oil that im aware of..historically with changing the oil though if i could find a washer in my dads workshop that fit the 14mm drain plug i ussally switched them out..but ive never gotten one that was made for a toyota tacoma drain plug washer lol

18. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    Speed Freek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...

I am not talking about the O-ring type integrated washers, and yes the aluminum is softer and will crush easier and primarily it is designed for sealing, and I was talking in Layman's terms for the average user, trust me I am well aware of torque values and tensile loads, etc.
    It obviously gives a way better "feel" when torqued and allows more turning before stripping, I was commenting saying that its not for avoiding stripping so people dont get the idea that it allows them to overtighten something.

Most people arent using torque wrenches, I am just trying to keep people from messing up their stuff, so just relax, I was giving basic info on a standard aluminum coated washer being installed by average joe without a torque wrench so he doesnt hit it with an impact gun after misunderstanding a post, lol.

19. Jan 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM
    Speed Freek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    But back on topic, I have probably about 100 of the older washers from when I worked there and probably change them every other oil change or so, and they fit pretty much all my other vehicles so its just nice to know you wont have a drip on the driveway. But plenty of other stuff that can leak...

The only problem you might get by reusing every time is leakage from bad coating or O-ring, and they crack, and flatten, and loose their sealing surface.

I cant foresee any other real problems that could occur. Unless it was leaking so bad you ran out of oil, but I would hope somebody would notice the 5' diameter puddle under the vehicle.

20. Jan 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    Easy fellas, do whatever you want, just telling you what they told me.

Products Discussed in

To Top