1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DRAINING ON BATTERY

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dfuller, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Jan 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    dfuller

dfuller [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma 4x4
    5" RCD lift
    i just installed an Odyssey dual battery set-up, after tossing my dead, red-top optima battery, living only 3 years and 6 months... the factory 130 amp alternator still tests good; but something appears to be draining the batteries... i pulled every single fuse, using a test light, and apparently the door lock fuse was the item that was pulling some juice while the ignition is off. Isnt that normal thought?? Seems the door locks have to be "on call" whenever you hit the key fob?? What else would it possibly be??? (2005 tacoma trd dbl. cab, lg. box, 4x4 off rd.)

2. Jan 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    MIAtaco

MIAtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma base lifted
    2.75" front lift 2.5" rear, pro comp es3000 rear shocks w/ orange shock boots, custom exhaust, k&n cold air intake, 20" led light bar behind grill, aftermarket grill, T-rex3 eyelids, pioneer HD radio
    Check the grounds for your battery set up

3. Jan 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    What was the draw when modules are "asleep" and when the door lock fuse is pulled? Do you have remote start/alarm? Spec is under 50mA

4. Jan 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    yeah, how much current is drawn ?

door lock listener/alarm shouldn't be that bad

hell, my 4runner got an easy 5 years on original battery

5. Jan 18, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    There are most likely other components on that fuse besides the door controls. We have to find out what it is. I'm not home at the moment.

6. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak

What sort of battery isolator/solenoid or dual battery wiring kit did you use?

I know odyssey makes the mounts for duals, but I don't know about a wiring kit.

I'm assuming that you installed dual batteries because you have a decent amount of electronics installed, could any of them be drawing power?

7. Jan 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM
    dfuller

dfuller [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma 4x4
    5" RCD lift
    i simply wired the 2 batteries inline.. pos. to pos, and neg. to neg. they are 740 cca/pc. but i believe there was a "draw" before i did the dual battery set-up... thus, the early death of the notorious red-top battery. (3.5 years old).

8. Jan 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    The batteries need to be isolated from each other or they will drain each other. This is your main problem. Disconnect them from one another until you get some kind of isolator or solenoid system, or they may very well die even faster than 3.5 years.

9. Jan 19, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5

x2 I agree. The batteries are basically constantly trying to balance each other. Meaning say on has 13.4 volts and the other has 13.8 they will trying to balance each other.

10. Jan 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    They will balance each other, but they will not drain each other.

The risk of running batteries in parallel is if one has a shorted cell, it will pull the other battery down, but it will also force the charging system to kick up a notch and will result in the "good" battery alternating between being overcharged and dumped by the bad battery.

11. Jan 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    dfuller

dfuller [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma 4x4
    5" RCD lift
    thanks.. i will have to check that. it only has the factory remote system in it.

12. Jan 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    dfuller

dfuller [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma 4x4
    5" RCD lift
    i run a snow plow, and have a significant quality sound system, which is why the 2nd battery. i was told that wiring inline would be fine; but you disagree with that?? im getting too many opinions here, and have ALOT of money into this system that i cant risk going bad. ???

13. Jan 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    You need to isolate the batteries, with either an isolator, solenoid, or smart solenoid.

Rich said they will balance each other, not drain, and that is one interpretation of it.

Even batteries that are almost identical in brand/type will have slightly different internal resistances.

If one cell in one battery is bad, and that battery now has 85% of the charge capacity it could originally hold, the 2nd battery that's still at 100% will constantly be trying to equalize and charge the lower capacity battery...
    Because they are not isolated, the batteries will continue to do this even when the vehicle is off.

This is avoided with an isolation kit. The simplest (not best) is a solenoid, that is high powered, between the positives of the two batteries, wired to a relay, wired to a spdt switch on/off/on. One position of the switch is wired to the ignition, so that when the truck is turned on, the solenoid activates and connects your positives, and both batteries charge together. Basically, when the truck is on, they are wired in parallel, when it's off, they are disconnected from one another. Say, your truck is not running but you want to run your stereo for the entire night, and your stereo is wired to the aux battery. Even if that battery is below the voltage you need to start the truck, it is isolated from your starter battery, so you start your truck, the solenoid engages and both batteries charge, even though only one is more discharged than the other.

The "smart solenoid" systems (like national Luna) are computer controlled, so that they won't connect the solenoid until the main (1st/starter battery) has reached a certain voltage, so you know that your main battery is always charged first.

I'm typing this from a phone so I'm sorry for any errors. You REALLY need to do some more research into this. Google dual battery systems and do some reading. Learn about solenoids, isolators, and smart solenoids. Go from there.

14. Jan 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Agreed, and as I mentioned, if a battery has a shorted cell, it will draw the good battery down as well as cause the charging system to overcharge the good battery.

But if both batteries are in good condition, there will be no problems.

My 2006 Duramax 2500 ran dual batteries with no isolation from the factory. It's not a problem under normal conditions, provided the two batteries are identical and replaced at the same time.

Isolation can be critical depending on the application.
    Most traditional dual battery setups use one battery for the vehicle, and a 2nd marine battery for a camper or trailer.
    These MUST be isolated so your starting battery is not drained by your accessory use in the camper/trailer.
    Likewise for stereo systems, if the intent is to use it for competition in parking lots where it will be run at high power levels with the engine off or at low RPM.

Normal stereo use with the vehicle moving, and snow plow use, a parallel setup is fine.

15. Jan 21, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    dfuller

dfuller [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma 4x4
    5" RCD lift
    thanks. the only one that i found is the national luna... it looks pretty good for the price. i typically dont run the sound system without the truck running; but i can see the "insurance" behind the idea of the solenoid. both batteries are identical though. im going to check into it. thanks again..

16. Jan 21, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    dfuller

dfuller [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma 4x4
    5" RCD lift
    yes, both batteries ARE identical, and im also putting on a 270XP alternator seems my factory 130 just died.. i guess its been 8 years now; its an '05. it sounds like the smartest way to go is with a solenoid; but i still dont see why running them inline would hurt, if i have proper grounding for the system itself.. thanks again!

17. Jan 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Isolated dual battery systems are designed to (1) to operate high current appliances (plow, winch, audio, two-way radios, lighting, etc.) off a deep cycle battery, (2) isolate the deep cycle battery from your starting battery so that you can restart your engine, and (3) when the engine is running above idle, satisfy the vehicle's electrical load and enable recharging both batteries simultaneously. The isolation can be manual with a high current SPST switch or automatic with a solenoid or diode bank. Car [starting] batteries are designed for shallow discharges and will prematurely fail if discharged deeply. For more information on dual battery systems can be found in Section 7.1.9 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ 2013 on www.batteryfaq.org.

18. Jan 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Thank you.

19. Jul 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    basshunter62

basshunter62 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    outsida boston
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma
    none
    hi all I hav a 07 Tacoma my batt was dead a few days ago.in the am. thought I left an int. light on?? so I charged it up 10- 6- 2 amps (it has ben getting a little slow when cranking lately) today I tried starting it an it was dead. I was on my way fishing so I jumped it and brought a extra batt and cables. it was dead 3 times and needed a jump from my xtra batt. when I got home I disconected the batt and cheched for a draw with a test light (removing all fuses) the test light was still on.neg-neg the light still lit closed doors every thing I could think of was off but still drawing . I have a tow hitch. but im shure that's gd. base model remote start . wich I havn,t ben using. any help would gr8. as I know I shoule toss out the 73/4yr batt. also iwas getting 13.5 from alt
    thanks in advance.. an old time mech...........

20. Jul 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Jim, I would fully charge the old battery and test it and test the charging system. Depending on the ambient temperature, 13.5 VDC is to low to recharge a battery, but will maintain a full charge. Most auto parts and battery dealer will test them for free. Excessive parasitic load problems are sometimes difficult to find because the there are a number of fuses and always hot circuits. I would suggest using a ammeter and measure the load if the battery tests good. I would expect under 150 milliamps key-off load.

Products Discussed in

To Top