Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fog light Solution for 2012+ Tacomas

Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
brian9682 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
brian9682's Tacoma Gallery
The research continues....

This wiring harness is much more difficult than it needs to be and 2 relays, diode adapters, light switches with only 3 wires going to it. I am starting to have my doubts.

It took me about a 1.5 hours to install an copycat Toyota (ebay) set on my daughter's Corolla. This Tacoma "Toyota" set has me on day #2 with no end in sight. The install was in 30 minutes. The electrical is another matter.

It may be a call to the vendor on Monday and ride the motorcycle to work if I can't get it figured out today.

Brian
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsakeeper View Post
can't ship to Canada - anyone want to send it to me
I'll send it to you. Shoot me a PM
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
I already have a volunteer who will do that for me and I thank you as well for your generous offer.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
brian9682 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
brian9682's Tacoma Gallery
Finished!!

Well, I disconnected everything and started over, checking voltages as I went. I did move the fused power supply from the green/white wire to an open fuse link on the fuse panel that operates with the ignition switch.

The diode adapter seems to prevent reverse power draw. Without the diode adapter in place and my lights on, I had a live cigarette (accessory) power jacks. When I installed the adapter, it killed the power to the accessory jacks with only the lights on, I had to power the ignition on to get voltage to the jacks like when I bought the truck.

Everything is now working and this project is behind me.

Thanks to everybody that sent ideas.

Brian
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
TacoUGA is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
TacoUGA's Tacoma Gallery
Got my kit installed tonight in a little over two hours. The instructions were pretty straight forward, but the descriptions for wires to tap into were a little lacking, and the wiring diagrams did not match my truck. I finally figured out that there is only ONE white wire, and ONE red/black wire in the area, so I tapped them and everything worked great.

Very clean looking install with the OEM lamps and switch. The kit is definitely a good deal.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #26
Chris b.
western88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
western88's Tacoma Gallery
Tacouga, did you tapped the wire to the low beam right?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #27
TacoUGA is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
TacoUGA's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the lights work only when the low beams are on. I tapped the recommended wires in the kit's instructions.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:08 AM   #28
Tex-Tac is on a distinguished road
Tex-Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Very good info on installing fog lights with the kit from Toyota McDonough. Since y'all were using the kit when it first came out it appears as though the instructions have since changed? Here is somewhat of an explaination on the installation process from Toyota McDonough: http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/bl...light-kit-help
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-Tac View Post
Very good info on installing fog lights with the kit from Toyota McDonough. Since y'all were using the kit when it first came out it appears as though the instructions have since changed? Here is somewhat of an explaination on the installation process from Toyota McDonough: http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/bl...light-kit-help
Yea the diode part threw me off for a second when I done mine. I looked and looked then seen it in wire and hoped for the best. Mine have been great only thing I don't like is the relay is loud when they are turned on and truck on? Not big deal I just think the click sounds cheap.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
Tex-Tac is on a distinguished road
Tex-Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
....... only thing I don't like is the relay is loud when they are turned on and truck on? Not big deal I just think the click sounds cheap.

When you say that the 'relay is loud' when turned on and a clicking sound is heard are you saying that it is a continuous 'clicking sound' or just a one time 'click sound' is heard when the switch is initially turned on?

Everything grounded properly? Did you double check all connections?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #31
Baoser is on a distinguished road
Name: George
Baoser's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Baoser
I have a 2012 White bumper + fogs (no harness/switch) for sale Local Sales preferred =)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #32
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-Tac View Post
When you say that the 'relay is loud' when turned on and a clicking sound is heard are you saying that it is a continuous 'clicking sound' or just a one time 'click sound' is heard when the switch is initially turned on?

Everything grounded properly? Did you double check all connections?
Yea it clicks when you turn key on then when you turn lights on. Just once.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #33
FLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
FLAJIM's Tacoma Gallery
Been off this site for awhile, work and family biz, However I am so happy to find this kit. Just ordered it and hope to have it installed next week.

Be Safe JIM
Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAJIM View Post
Been off this site for awhile, work and family biz, However I am so happy to find this kit. Just ordered it and hope to have it installed next week.

Be Safe JIM
It is a very nice kit. Make sure to look at online instructions(color) plus that link a above that fixes the original instructions.(manly the diode part) but over all I could not be happier and its the best priced "OEM" kit I found.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #35
FLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud ofFLAJIM has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
FLAJIM's Tacoma Gallery
Tks for the info, Be Safe JIM
Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #36
Law Enforcement:
FLAJIM's Tacoma Gallery
OK bought and installed this kit but I would really like to have it work with just the parking lights on. I see the MOD for the factory install lights but is there a MOD for this kit ???

Thanks in advance JIM
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #37
Law Enforcement:
FLAJIM's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody..... any ideas ????? Be Safe JIM
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #38
Law Enforcement:
FLAJIM's Tacoma Gallery
Oh well, I guess there's no mod for this kit...... really wanted to set them up with the parking lights........
Old 09-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #39
Flyingtiger is on a distinguished road
Flyingtiger's Tacoma Gallery
A very old bump, but I need help. I ordered this kit and tried to install this afternoon. Got everything set up right per the new updated instructions that came with the kit. Result: the switch lights up, but the lights will not come on?

Helllllllllllpppppp
Old 09-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #40
Flyingtiger is on a distinguished road
Flyingtiger's Tacoma Gallery
disregard, I found link to help. hope it works