1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog light Solution for 2012+ Tacomas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cfagan14, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Sep 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.

If I remember correctly, if you installed the fog light kit just like the instructions indicate, step by step, I believe you need to actually "Start the truck up" then try turning on the fog lights?
    I believe that the 'newly installed fog lights' will not turn on if the truck is not actually turned on? The 'fog light switch' will luminate when you turn on your lights, but that's about it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Sep 27, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    Flyingtiger

Flyingtiger Member

Member:
    Yea I started the truck and am still getting just the light on the switch, fog lights aren't working. I found the page online from McDonough about the picture of pin 29 and 35 being upside down. Having it displayed correctly changes things. Should be an easy fix. Just need to T tap different wires.

Does removing a T Tap hurt anything? Might have to cut wire, and reconnect it where the t tap was.

3. Sep 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.

Yes, that is correct!

I sort of mention this in post #28 of this 'thread' about a specific change on the dealerships (Toyota McDonough) website.

Also....

I posted a 'thread' specifically about installing this same exact 'fog light kit' from Toyota McDonough on my daughters 2012 Toyota Tacoma.
    Specifically read post # 6 where I sort of explain this slight change/difference (if you will) about these wire connections.

Here is the original thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-...2012-4-cycl-tacoma-prerunner-basic-model.html

4. Sep 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I would cover the broken insulation with sensor-safe silicone, especially under the hood where water will get under the insulation and corrode the wire.

Use sensor-safe silicone. Regular RTV goo releases acetic acid vapor during curing and can also corrode the wire.

5. Sep 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    Flyingtiger

Flyingtiger Member

Member:
    Rich, need some help if you don't mind.

So I disconnected the T taps I did yesterday and t-tapped the correct wires according to the corrected diagram. Turn the truck on, lights work great. The switch lights up and all looks normal. I am now however getting ABS, slip control, and Brake lights on the dash. I disconnected the battery again, cut the incorrect wires I had t-tapped, reconnected them and sealed them as you advised. Still getting the lights on the dash. What gives?

Oh and those wires weren't T-tapped under the hood, they were underneath the left console panel per the McDonough instructions.

6. Sep 27, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Those lights on together often indicate a blown fuse.
    I think IGN-1 will do it, but I'm not sure.

7. Sep 29, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    ElderP

ElderP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    15 Access 4x4 V6 SR5
    Installed Cooper At/3's (265/70R16) and ProComp 7089 Rims. Tinted front windows. Did the Fog Light Anytime mod. Did the tailgate mod. Added running boards. Adding sound Deadening from RAAMaudio. Replacing stock speakers with Polk Audio DB6501's.
    My Kit (http://toyotaofmcdonoughparts.net/products/00016-35220-toyota-tacoma-fog-light-kit-2012) for my 2013 Basic came with two relays, one under the dash, other under the hood. It had a "diode adapter". The instructions that came with the kit matched those on the web site. It was fairly straight forward to install (about 3 hrs), and the fog lights only work with the low beams. Does anyone know what changes to the wiring would need to be made in-order to have the fog light on whenever the ignition is on?

8. May 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    pasotaco

pasotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Access Cab
    LCE headers, King 2.5 Coilovers w/ res, TC UCA's, King resi's in rear, Geared to 4.88, rear locker, Timbren Bump stops, All Pro Leafs, Carrier bearing drop kit, ARB onboard air,
    Just put this kit in they look and work great on my 2013!!!

Little bit of advise during install is to use a little dish soap to assist in getting the wires through the rubber boot at the firewall. That was the hardest part of the install the rest was very easy...

9. Feb 12, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    Matt The Mutant

Matt The Mutant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Claudio Gutierrez
    Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic 5.0 ft. Bed
    Oh yes ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top