Notices

What Winch should I get?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
greentaco15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
greentaco15's Tacoma Gallery
What Winch should I get?

Hey Guys!

I need a winch and a winch cradle for my 2011 Tacoma.
I need some ideas for makes and models.
I would like it to be on the cheaper side like under 300.

Let me see your suggestions
Old 01-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor fright has the cradle. And a 8k lb winch will work I like mile market. About 299 for the 8k
Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
I like Warn winches. The best of the best. Pricey though

Brett
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
Warn winches are known to be the best
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
TAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAOScott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
TAOScott's Tacoma Gallery
If you are shopping on a budget, take a look at the Engo 9K
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
User 'n at
slvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JD
slvrbullet13's Tacoma Gallery
I had experience with three different ones when I had my Jeep. First I got the harbor freight one. Price was right (300) and you get what you pay for. It would overheat and then not work. I then got a great deal on a Ramsey 9500 patriot series new winch from ebay for 600! I loved it! I got the synthetic rope as well as the wireless remote. Then I bought a used Warn M8000 for 400 bucks for my dads jeep. It worked well.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you plan on buying one, I assume you plan to use it and want it to work. I say shop for either a warn or ramsey winch. Deals are out there, just gotta find them.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Warn if you want it to work. 8-10,000 is good.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
high voltage taco has a spectacular aura abouthigh voltage taco has a spectacular aura about
high voltage taco's Tacoma Gallery
Superwinch makes a good reliable winch but their only a little cheaper than the warn- well over 300 bucks. I say try the Engo. The guy that started the company used to be the CEO or COO something like that at MileMarker winch company. The Engo winch passed the winch test that Fourwheeler magazine did a few months ago. The warn broke pulling twice its rating, the superwinch only stalled pulling almost twice its rating and continued to work after, and the Engo pulled like 12,000 lbs and stalled and continued to work after. All of these were like 8k or 9k lb winches, I can't remember.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
all I see being sold in SC is Warn.. one store even has the phrase.. Warn..or nothing..
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Damn good motto. I've seen all winches fail. My dad has fried multiple winches. He uses them too hard and doesn't give them a chance to cool down. This is KEY! Let that sucker cool down during a hard pull! He has gone back to warn. I never switched away from warn. Don't plan on it either. They take a hell of a beating and keep on pulling.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Superwinch installed today . a tad more then 300
Old 03-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #12
zackbremer is on a distinguished road
zackbremer's Tacoma Gallery
any idea if this will bolt up behind the demello offraod front bumper, or if it is a good winch for our trucks http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/3610517861.html
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Warn 8500. But your price point suggests you will buy crap.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
zackbremer is on a distinguished road
zackbremer's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.engousa.com/p/model-epf10000/truck-suv?pp=25
Old 03-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
any time i've wheeled with guys running discount winches they either don't work from the start or stop working really fast. then you have a big fat heavy pos to lug around that is good for nothing and are still stuck. however using the removable cradle system your winch will hopefully last a little longer not being exposed to the elements at all times.. but you didn't buy an old crappy truck, you bought a quality truck, why not buy a quality winch? if you are out alone, happen to be stuck then your cool new cheap winch doesn't do the job you are f**ked, then after all the money you spent you still need to deal with getting recovered and have to then buy a new winch.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #16
BenBuser is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
BenBuser's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have some input on electric vs hydraulic winches.

Hydraulic seems to be a great idea because it will work as long as the engine is on, dont have to worry about draining the battery, and they seem to be more compact because they just run off the PS pump.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
ORTaco09 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ORTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackbremer View Post
Second on the Engo.

Read this: http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...t/viewall.html No really....READ IT. Great info.