1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Strange feeling when slowly turning left

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BassMaster06, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Jan 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Hey TW. Today when i was slowly turning left while pulling out of a parking spot, I felt a strange sensation in the front left side of my truck. It felt like the truck was lurching or jumping. Almost felt like I was going over large consecutive bumps in the pavement but only on the left side. It's not the case, but to best describe it, it felt like my left front tire was oval shaped in the way it seemed to lurch up and down as I moved forward. Got an OME complete lift kit with spidertrax wheel spacers. Got an alignment roughly six months ago and the truck drives straight as an arrow. It's not in 4wd, I know what that can feel like on pavement. I got out and made sure nothing has come loose, then i pulled back into the same exact parking spot and tried to replicate it 3 times and it felt completely normal. I may be paranoid, but I didn't like how that felt. Even my girlfriend asked what was that?? Any diagnostics or ideas for what that might have been?

2. Jan 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Tire rub ?

3. Jan 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    I dont think so OZ, they are 265s and i wasnt even cutting it hard, the parking lot was completely flat. I've never felt that feeling before. I've had the same setup for close to 6 months :confused:

4. Jan 20, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Interesting

I've had a couple instances of a similar sensation to what you describe , I finally realized it was ABS kicking on for only about a second , but I was heading downhill in a sharp turn on dirt

5. Jan 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    I just went out and cut the wheel to full lock and its no where near to rubbing anything. Suppose it coulda been the ABS but I wasn't breaking and I only felt it on the left side

6. Jan 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    any other possible scenarios?

7. Jan 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Well put. I just wanna make sure nothing is failing for anything major that I should be concerned about. Drove it again tonight and everything seems okay

8. Jan 20, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    JasperOffroad

JasperOffroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is it similar to the sensation that is felt in 4wd locked turning?

How are your CV angles and CV age? It could be your CVs binding. It could also be some damage in the front diff. Even though you were not in 4wd, the front diff is turning all the time.

9. Jan 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    BassMaster06

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Understood. Thanks for the insight. It seemed similar in a way I suppose. In my experience, when 4WD is engaged on dry pavement it will feel like a jerking/binding movement and you can feel the tires sort of skip or skid on the pavement. This was more like an up and down binding motion. The CV on the left side is stock from the factory, its an '06. The CV angles could be better, but aren't any worse than most trucks I've seen with these lifts. The lift has been on for 6+ months and has settled. I can take some pics of the angle tomorrow in the daylight and report back. Any other tell-tale signs of a failing CV?

10. Aug 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    Kukuinut

Kukuinut New Member

Member:
    North Calif
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Cab LB
    I've had my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 for about a month and a half.I had the same sensation with a slow speed left turn, like you are describing.

Dealer checked it out and tech said it might be that the rear differential needed service. I could not verify if or when the Diff fluid had been changed out so I had my mechanic change the fluid, and the left turn vibe, rub has gone away.:)

Oh, as I described the problem to my mechanic and before I could tell him what the dealer diagnosed, he brought up the differential fluid needing changing, saying that the rear end with Limited Slip can lock up as it detects a need to grip as you turn the wheels.

I'm glad these forums exist. They have given me much needed insight.

Products Discussed in

To Top