Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plasti-dip?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Offroadtaco is on a distinguished road
Offroadtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti-dip?

So I was my stock rims black. Im too short on money to buy new rims, making my next choice is to spray paint them... Or a thick coat of plasti-dip. What would be better rattle can or a can of Plasti-dip. I like to hit the dirt roads every now and them so I need something that's not going to chip off super easy. Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Search function. There is more than a night's worth of reading for you.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Phil5393 has a spectacular aura aboutPhil5393 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Phil
Phil5393's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...ga-thread.html
Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
What's plasti-dip?
You've not been on TW long.....
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery

I agree with everyone else, there is tons of info on this subject on this site - do your research before you make a decision, but I dipped my wheels a year ago and they're holding up fine, I live on a long gravel farm lane.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My own personal opinion of course...but, you get what you pay for - a cheap mod.

Plastic dip will eventually peel off. (I've plasti-dipped D rings and tools)
Herculiner will look like shit after a while when exposed to the weather (I've Herculined truck bed & jeep floors).

If anything....have the wheels professionally painted or professionally done with Line-X.

Or save the $$ and buy real wheels.....
Old 01-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
I was being sarcastic.....
My bad. You never know! I use tapa talk so it doesn't show anything except names. No post count or join date.

I would roll eyes back but tapa talk won't let me. Lol
Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
As the prep is just about the same. I would go with real wheel paint instead of the dip.

Notice, I said WHEEL, not RIM. A rim is part of a wheel. Unless you just plan on painting the outer rim of your wheels.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
thanks guys ill research things alittle bit and then decide. ill probably go with the plasti-dip just because if i dont like it i can just peel it off.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroadtaco View Post
thanks guys ill research things alittle bit and then decide. ill probably go with the plasti-dip just because if i dont like it i can just peel it off.
There are a lot of people on this forum that snuff there nose at plasti-dip. I think Plasti-dip is a great product for what it is. Not everyone has the money to buy new wheels or have their wheels, bumpers, etc. powder coated or professionally painted. I've received lots of compliments from random strangers about my plasti-dipped wheels. I think they look great, and they have held up way better than what I originally expected, did them over a year ago. The best part about it is that my wheels and bumper are not permanently damaged from sanding and/or permantenly painted black. I can always peel it off if I want to go back to how it was before, or peel it off and re-apply it.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Took all day but I got them done. Thanks for the help guys!