1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Master Cylinder @14K?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Yaberries, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Feb 3, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    Yaberries

Yaberries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Was 08 PreRunner Off-Road, Now 2015 TRD Off-Road Super White
    Front D-Rings, Blacked out grill & surround
    I've got an '08 Taco, did the 15K service last Thursday, today the brake light comes on. I check the brake fluid - just at the minimum line(good job on the 15K service), take it in to the dealer and they say the master cylinder has a leak and needs replacing. Never saw a drop anywhere, fluid didn't drop all of a sudden, I checked it last week too. They don't have the part so I have to wait...

I guess I needed to rant...:confused:

2. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That sucks....
    Damn, I hate these types of posts. More and more problems popping up with these trucks.

The master cylinder could have an internal leak - and I'm guessing - a pressure malfunction somehwere and perhaps its affecting the ABS system (and why the brake light came on).
    That was a guess - but it sounds good. :D

3. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    Yup. sometimes the rubber inside the cylinder rips causing an internal leak. sucks. If you're at all handy, its not a hard fix to replace the master cylinder.

4. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    Yaberries

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    It's covered under warranty, I just hate the thought of the dealer working on the truck. After the 15K service they handed me the keys, the hood was still popped, rear diff locked, and grease all over the drivers kick panel. They fixed the clutch pedal squeak...at least for 5 days now...but hey left the truck a mess. I'm hoping the brakes work when I get it back...

5. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    dood, i sure hope you handed it RIGHT back to them.. sure its a truck but its YOUR truck.. and F that guy for handing it to you in that condition

6. Feb 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Just be happy we have cars and trucks these days w/all their computers and warning systems. I would hat to lose my brakes any where!

7. Feb 3, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    If you dont mind me asking, what did the 15K service set you back. Im just about there.

8. Feb 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    Yaberries

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    $117 quoted, turned into $128 out the door. Its still just an oil change with inspections. They did rotate my tires this time, I marked them. They just did front to back, no left to right...the last rotation they did was only on one side...that's why I mark them.

9. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    lol, wow. I'd find another dealer. I had that problem with a dealer the first time I brought the Mazda in...they gave it back to me covered with greasy handprints (still there but just as slightly worn paint) and a dead battery (had to jump the car to get it to where I was) along with busted engine parts under the hood and a bent hood prop. I bitched at them, they replaced the busted part, gave me a new battery, and I have never gone back nor called.

Products Discussed in

To Top