1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trucks needs a new transmission. 07 DCLB sport

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toyota Tacoma, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    So my truck has shifted hard from second to third since I bought it at 94,000 kms. It drives me nuts so I'v had it in the transmission shop a couple times to try and diagnose at both the Toyota dealer as well as AAMCO. Neither could find a problem. Now recently a new issue has appeared as well as some small hiccups. The truck has a intense shutter while in reverse and also in 3rd gear. Also has erratic shifting habits sometimes and thunks randomly from time to time.

I brought it back to Toyota and got a quote, they said the only thing they could do was replace the transmission (5500 bucks)

Then brought it back to aamco, The owner said he could get a used transmission with 88,000 kms installed out the door for 2000. Comes with a 90 day warranty.

What do you think?

2. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Id think rebuilding is better than buying a used one with no history or anything. Just my opinion though

3. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Thats what I thought, looked around and turns out its about 1000 bucks more than a used transmission.

4. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Its been a bit, but Darrin at White Valley Collision in Lumby had an '05 4x4 auto among the list of toyota's he was parting out, his used parts prices were pretty reasonable. 250-547-2254 is the number if you want to try contacting him.

5. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    When was last time you changed fluid in that thing. Cleaned strainer? Maybe replace seal on strainer? flushed cooler? Those transmission dont fail easly.

6. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    If you are going to spend the money, get one built..not a reman.

7. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Thanks, I'll give him a call in the A.M.

Tried all those things when I first got the truck :(

8. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    So were there any shavings in the oil pan ? How much? You sure you got strainer cleaned and seal replaced on it? or they just did the flush or something ?

9. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    The guy at AAMCO has the same truck and was really interested in what it could be so he went over all the minor possibilities. There were no shavings in the oil pan so no indication there.

Hes gonna pull it out and check a bunch of things. If he cant find the problem I'll have to go with a replacement trans. I'm not too concerned about getting a used one as they are pretty bulletproof so the chances of getting another lemon are slim.

10. Jan 23, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Well, looks like I'm going to go with the used lowish mileage transmission.

11. Jan 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Any luck with the used one I mentioned?

12. Jan 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    If I buy it from someone other than the shops supplier they do not offer warranty :( so I decided not to risk it. Thanks anyways though!

13. Jan 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Dropped it off today :( Guy said it would be done tomorrow afternoon.

He ended up giving me 20% off labor and the trans that is going in has 61,000 KMS on it.

Grand total with labor, parts, fluids and tax should be a hair under 2000.

14. Jan 24, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    seric007

seric007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    make sure you get your old tranny back

15. Jan 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM
    97lt1ta

97lt1ta Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner
    Sounds like your 3rd 4th clutch pack is done. Idk how mechanically inclined you are but could get it rebuilt with upgraded clutch packs with tightened y bands for 1200 installed yourself. But 2k at 88k is a little high imop I know the warranty is nice but just got my ta tranny rebuilt with a bunch of goodies did all the labor myself and the warranty is covered 2years

16. Jan 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    I would do it all myself but I just do not have the time. I called all around and couldn't get anyone to beat this price.

Its a lot more expensive to get work done In Canada than down there so 2k is actually pretty cheap for up here.

17. Jan 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    New transmission is in! was in and out in one day.

Truck feels very different, In a good way. Mechanic put new clutch packs and filters in too :)

Total with taxes out the door was $2178.88

Products Discussed in

To Top