Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trucks needs a new transmission. 07 DCLB sport

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Toyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brady
Toyota Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Trucks needs a new transmission. 07 DCLB sport

So my truck has shifted hard from second to third since I bought it at 94,000 kms. It drives me nuts so I'v had it in the transmission shop a couple times to try and diagnose at both the Toyota dealer as well as AAMCO. Neither could find a problem. Now recently a new issue has appeared as well as some small hiccups. The truck has a intense shutter while in reverse and also in 3rd gear. Also has erratic shifting habits sometimes and thunks randomly from time to time.

I brought it back to Toyota and got a quote, they said the only thing they could do was replace the transmission (5500 bucks)

Then brought it back to aamco, The owner said he could get a used transmission with 88,000 kms installed out the door for 2000. Comes with a 90 day warranty.

What do you think?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Id think rebuilding is better than buying a used one with no history or anything. Just my opinion though
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Its been a bit, but Darrin at White Valley Collision in Lumby had an '05 4x4 auto among the list of toyota's he was parting out, his used parts prices were pretty reasonable. 250-547-2254 is the number if you want to try contacting him.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tacoma View Post
So my truck has shifted hard from second to third since I bought it at 94,000 kms. It drives me nuts so I'v had it in the transmission shop a couple times to try and diagnose at both the Toyota dealer as well as AAMCO. Neither could find a problem. Now recently a new issue has appeared as well as some small hiccups. The truck has a intense shutter while in reverse and also in 3rd gear. Also has erratic shifting habits sometimes and thunks randomly from time to time.

I brought it back to Toyota and got a quote, they said the only thing they could do was replace the transmission (5500 bucks)

Then brought it back to aamco, The owner said he could get a used transmission with 88,000 kms installed out the door for 2000. Comes with a 90 day warranty.

What do you think?
When was last time you changed fluid in that thing. Cleaned strainer? Maybe replace seal on strainer? flushed cooler? Those transmission dont fail easly.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
If you are going to spend the money, get one built..not a reman.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Toyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
Its been a bit, but Darrin at White Valley Collision in Lumby had an '05 4x4 auto among the list of toyota's he was parting out, his used parts prices were pretty reasonable. 250-547-2254 is the number if you want to try contacting him.
Thanks, I'll give him a call in the A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
When was last time you changed fluid in that thing. Cleaned strainer? Maybe replace seal on strainer? flushed cooler? Those transmission dont fail easly.
Tried all those things when I first got the truck
Old 01-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks, I'll give him a call in the A.M.

Tried all those things when I first got the truck
So were there any shavings in the oil pan ? How much? You sure you got strainer cleaned and seal replaced on it? or they just did the flush or something ?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #9

The guy at AAMCO has the same truck and was really interested in what it could be so he went over all the minor possibilities. There were no shavings in the oil pan so no indication there.

Hes gonna pull it out and check a bunch of things. If he cant find the problem I'll have to go with a replacement trans. I'm not too concerned about getting a used one as they are pretty bulletproof so the chances of getting another lemon are slim.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Any luck with the used one I mentioned?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
seric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedseric007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
seric007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dropped it off today Guy said it would be done tomorrow afternoon.

He ended up giving me 20% off labor and the trans that is going in has 61,000 KMS on it.

Grand total with labor, parts, fluids and tax should be a hair under 2000.
make sure you get your old tranny back
Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
97lt1ta is on a distinguished road

97lt1ta's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like your 3rd 4th clutch pack is done. Idk how mechanically inclined you are but could get it rebuilt with upgraded clutch packs with tightened y bands for 1200 installed yourself. But 2k at 88k is a little high imop I know the warranty is nice but just got my ta tranny rebuilt with a bunch of goodies did all the labor myself and the warranty is covered 2years