Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Baja Wheels are true beadlock?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
gmcuajo is on a distinguished road
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Baja Wheels are true beadlock?

Does the TRD Baja Edition beadlock wheels are true beadlock wheels? I read on an online magazine, don't remember which, that the Baja Wheels aren't true beadlock wheels. There said that it just have the ring with bolts just for a good appearance, but they really doesn't lock the tire to the wheel.

Also want to know the part number of the wheels and if they can be ordered from a Toyota dealer or online.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
pbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpbm317 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
pbm317's Tacoma Gallery
Beadlock Style... true beadlocks are not legal for on-road use in many states.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
They are not real beadlocks. I had them on my previous 2011 TX (RIP). Attached is the sheet that should have all the part #'s. From what I have seen these are very hard to get ahold of and I don't know if they make the black ones anymore (I could be wrong).

Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

Didn't know about the legal part of the beadlock wheels. If they aren't legal I think they aren't DOT approved.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting...Wonder why the fj comes spec'd with a larger tire...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Pyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Pyrite Mica's Tacoma Gallery
DOT Beadlocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm317 View Post
Beadlock Style... true beadlocks are not legal for on-road use in many states.
Actually there are DOT beadlocks available but they are expensive at around $430 each and heavy at 52 lbs each. Hutchinson wheels are the primary ones and used by various military forces. (can be seen on many Hilux pickups OCONUS). I had considered installing these on my FZJ80 but would not consider them for the Tacoma due to the issues that the greater weight present.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
I went chasing down a set for my truck back in Nov. Here's what I know:

As stated above:

PTR18-35090 - Black Beadlock Wheel
PTR18-35090BR - Bronze/Gold Beadlock Wheel
PTR18-35090GR - Graphite Beadlock Wheel (TRD Baja TX)

PTR18-35091 - Trim Ring
PTR18-35092 - Center Cap
PTR18-35093 - Trim Ring Bolts
PTR18-35094 - Also listed as a center cap...cannot locate pictures though.

You cannot order the Gray Baja wheels from dealers. I called over 20 when I went looking and got stonewalled on every single one. They are limited release and most dealers I talked to told me even if I had a Baja model, the chance of being able to secure 4 at once might be very, very difficult.

While the Black wheels were intended to be the same way, apparently they are easier to get ahold of.

I bought my initial four from www.trdparts4u.com. At the time they had said on their website they had the last 4 they could get. I had placed the order with the note that I wanted the black beadlocks, not the bronze and to call me if they had any issues. When I spoke with them on the phone they told me that they had two in stock and were going to attempt to secure two more for me. However, given the clampdown they saw on the wheels, they weren't sure they could get me the other two, but they would try and if they were unable they would refund me. They ultimately put in the order for those wheels and were able to get them for me. However, they've since taken them off of their website, which leads me to believe they're a deadend source.

I decided after that I would go after a 5th wheel, just in case I ran into any issues with mine. I ordered my 5th one from www.shoptrd.com - here. I put in the comments that I wanted the black beadlock wheel and was able to get one with no issues.

The frustrating part of this equation is price. I had found TRDparts4U first, and paid $259.xx + shipping for each wheel. ShopTRD offered the same wheel for $220.xx and free shipping. So I could have (in theory) gotten 5 wheels for the price of 4. Lessons learned, I suppose. I searched high and low for the wheels and they are the only vendor left that I has them, I believe.

Happy hunting.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtTaco View Post
Interesting...Wonder why the fj comes spec'd with a larger tire...
All of them do. I think tacoma factory tires are 30.5's (31's) and FJ's are 31.5's (32's).
Old 01-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
gmcuajo's Tacoma Gallery
Called shoptrd.com and the guy said that they can't order them anymore.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcuajo View Post
Called shoptrd.com and the guy said that they can't order them anymore.
Really now. That's very interesting, because I definitely bought mine last month (I just put in the comments section the black wheels only). (The Black Beadlock...as I've said before, the Graphite ones are unobtanium)

If you want to pay loads of $$$, here's another option for you.

Replica Black TX Wheels

They're not ideal, but they're something. Honestly, at that price point, I'd buy a set of the Gold/Bronze ones and have them professionally painted. Any dealer can get them for you for $259/wheel MSRP, and there are plenty of 3rd party online vendors that are selling them much cheaper.

There's always the Classifieds here too...I've seen a few sets come and go (some black sets go as cheap as $500-600).
Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I know they look nice and I did enjoy the aesthetics of them when I had them, the special lugnuts and balancing issues were not fun. I had a few incidents with the lugnuts (losing the keyed tool) which required me to jump through a bunch of hoops that I didn't like. I also had major balancing issues with Stock 265/70/R16 Rugged Fails and 265/75/R16 Cooper Discoverer ATP's. There are other wheels out there that have the fuax beadlock feature that you might find for less and may or may not cause less problems. Just my $.02
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Taco View Post
I know they look nice and I did enjoy the aesthetics of them when I had them, the special lugnuts and balancing issues were not fun. I had a few incidents with the lugnuts (losing the keyed tool) which required me to jump through a bunch of hoops that I didn't like. I also had major balancing issues with Stock 265/70/R16 Rugged Fails and 265/75/R16 Cooper Discoverer ATP's. There are other wheels out there that have the fuax beadlock feature that you might find for less and may or may not cause less problems. Just my $.02
Glad I ran across your post in search of an answer. Do the OEM Baja wheels fit a stock suspension Off Road Tacoma? I am wanting to put a set on my truck but if I can't do it without at least leveling it and going bigger with tires, I probably won't do it.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupster88 View Post
Glad I ran across your post in search of an answer. Do the OEM Baja wheels fit a stock suspension Off Road Tacoma? I am wanting to put a set on my truck but if I can't do it without at least leveling it and going bigger with tires, I probably won't do it.
They'll fit no problem. It's getting them that's the problem.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly there are some good options if you want a beadlock wheel or a fake lock.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cruiser View Post
They'll fit no problem. It's getting them that's the problem.
thanks man, I'm in the hunt for a set. So you said you had issues with balancing them and all that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Honestly there are some good options if you want a beadlock wheel or a fake lock.
I love the gunmetal look, is there any off brand ones out there with the gunmetal look in 16s?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
thanks man, I'm in the hunt for a set. So you said you had issues with balancing them and all that?

I love the gunmetal look, is there any off brand ones out there with the gunmetal look in 16s?
Paint is your best friend, and i wouldn't call them off brand.

I got my method beadlocks bare metal and had them powdercoated. Just sold some KMC enduro beadlocks and he new owner painted them black and red.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Old 04-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Naw, I don't have them. I wish I did.