Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bearing noise at slack throttle at highwat speeds

Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Bearing noise at slack throttle at highwat speeds

(highway speeds)Going 60mph on a level road, I get a grumble. Not at accel nor at decel, slack throttle, it happens. It's almost like the noise you get when threading a large nut down a threaded rod, or holding a Timken bearing by the inner race and spinning the cage. The location of the noise is very difficult to pinpoint
New ujoints, front wheel bearings, 103k miles, one piece driveshaft.

Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Still looking. Noise is getting worse
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #4

Well... Road speed makes a difference with the speed and intensity of the noise. There is no difference with engine speed, nor with gear selection.
There were no shavings in the diff, xfer case, nor trans lube. I suspect from the trans output to the rear of the drivetrain, but I would like to hear from someone else before I start tearing into anything.
I have till middle of May to get it fixed...
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, no idea, but maybe its gear chatter somewhere as at "slack" throttle its likely switching from loaded, to reverse loaded very quickly?

check driveline lash at the rear end? im digging deep on this lol
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Look at your carrier bearing in the middle of your drive shafts.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman1979 View Post
Look at your carrier bearing in the middle of your drive shafts.
One peice drive shaft.

If it was bearings it would be more of a wirring noise to it. Diff has more of a worrr noise... In my experience.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
One peice drive shaft.

If it was bearings it would be more of a wirring noise to it. Diff has more of a worrr noise... In my experience.
My bad I reread and saw 1 piece shaft
Old 04-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Have you done anything to the rearend. Possible axle bearings or the 3rd member? Can you get the truck in the air safley and run it maybe on a lift or something?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #10

20 mph on jack stands made no obvious noises via stethoscope.
Only mod is the lift. New ujoints, no abormal slop in drivetrain.
No shavings in any gear lubes.
I'm going to hunt for TSBs and look to see if there are any sealed bearings in the trans and xfer case. It has to be something from the output shaft of the trans on back, since it's road speed related.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #11

Dealer wants $120 to take a look at it...FML.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How recently did you change your wheel bearings? One could have been bad or damaged during the install and worn out prematurely. Have you checked any of the wheels for play or check the tranny output shaft for play for that matter?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Dave...

I had this same symptom above 70mph on the way home last weekend from gulches while running my 1 piece driveshaft spare.

Haven't had it up to that speed since then, but will keep you posted (please do the same for me). I also suspect rear drivetrain, particularly u-joint or slip yoke. Tq on all the bolts was good. Hoping when I torched the stock driveshaft I didn't cause a problem with the trans output.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
(highway speeds)Going 60mph on a level road, I get a grumble. Not at accel nor at decel, slack throttle, it happens. It's almost like the noise you get when threading a large nut down a threaded rod, or holding a Timken bearing by the inner race and spinning the cage. The location of the noise is very difficult to pinpoint
New ujoints, front wheel bearings, 103k miles, one piece driveshaft.

Any ideas?
its the driveshaft... they arent long enough on the reg cabs. its not a big deal, nothing is "wrong" per say, but if you flip your driveshaft around, it will eliminate the noise. thats what i did with my reg cab, and it was fine. a better fix would be to have your driveshaft lengthened. fwiw...
Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like most reg cabs do it. Flipping the driveshaft around usually helps. Mines done it since the day I bought the truck.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #16

Worth a try... In progress shortly, will post details.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #17
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Worth a try... In progress shortly, will post details.
worth a try? that the fix. its not u-joints, or a carrier bearing. its your driveshaft. it needs to be lengthened. either spend the $150 to get it lengthened, or flip it for free. either way, there is nothing wrong with your truck, and nothing is broken.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
worth a try? that the fix. its not u-joints, or a carrier bearing. its your driveshaft. it needs to be lengthened. either spend the $150 to get it lengthened, or flip it for free. either way, there is nothing wrong with your truck, and nothing is broken.
Out of curiosity, how does flipping the shaft solve the problem?

I believe OME sells a drive shaft spacer. If length is the issue, that could be another solution.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #19

Flipping it moved the noise to the rear of the truck, and it doesn't do it as long.
Also, It no longer has a vibe at 60MPH anymore.
So, no, it is still not fixed. I just need to get another driveshaft. Any recommendations on who to go through? I don't like spacers. They might be nice for a temp fix till I save for a new driveshaft though.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #20

Reading up on the spacers, I see that they are a bad idea. More extreme shaft angle and a higher likelyhood of running out of slip joint travel=smashed xfer case. New shaft it is.