1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2k + Fox Coliovers setup but feel really bumpy on the road

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wangluoqis, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jan 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    wangluoqis

wangluoqis [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Regina Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DC SR5
    Hi guys,

I got this brand new 2013 SR5 in Nov and had this fox kit installed in the first month. I have done about 3000kms after the installation of the lift kit so far. it rides very stiff on the highway specially when road condition gets bad it gets really really bumpy. I am assuming that the faster response of the coliovers are making the truck much bumper. Question is how can I adjust the coliovers to make them softer for better on road driving? :confused::confused:

IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0031[1].jpg

2. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    ????

you dont have much preload?

3. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    GREEKBOY12295

GREEKBOY12295 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
    Radflo 2.5 Coilovers, Viper Alarm 5902, Bilstein 5100's, Polk Speakers, Blacked out grille and Emblems, All Pro 3" leafs, Pioneer AVH-4300 Double Din, BHLM, 4" Maxtrac Spindle, Aero Turbine 2525xl, Ultra Gauge, Rockford Fosgate 300 mono amp, 10" Kicker CVR
    Could the valving and all the settings within the shock make the difference also?

4. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Should have went Icon....lol!

They prob need to break in some but you don't have much pre-load so I wonder if they were valved for the Tacoma and have the right spring rate? Where did you get them from?

5. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    wangluoqis

Member:
    Regina Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DC SR5
    Got it from ORW. would lowing the pressure in the value works in this case?

6. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Valving needs to be changed if you want the shock to ride like stock; although I don't why you would pay for coil overs only to valve them to ride just like stock. I don't know where you'd send them off to in your country to be revalved; although you can do it yourself if you're handy with a wrench.

7. Jan 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    wangluoqis

Member:
    Regina Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DC SR5
    those are the adjustable items from fox's website but I cant find any instruction for how to do it.

QQ??20130123002130.jpg

8. Jan 23, 2013 at 4:01 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Not sure of an exact answer for you.

Nitrogen pressure is important, and while it can have some effect, is not normally a tuning option. Kind of a set it and forget it type setting.

Inside the shocks are shimstacks, these meter oil flow through the piston. These adjustment are internal and require the shock to be opened. The shims would be adjusted by adding or removing, altering shim thickness or diameter, also the way the shims are "stacked" will alter how the shock feels.

Saying all this, can I ask a stupid question, how low does the truck sit. You have probably rear the comments about so little preload. Possibly the truck is not at a good ride height to get a quality ride and is hitting the bottoming cushions making it harsh.

PK

9. Jan 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    Hoozel

Hoozel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    well you are in Regina.... and if its like Saskatoon probly some of the worst roads in the country. Shitty small sharp bumps and bad ruts. As well stock suspension is made for comfort with the geometry being " X" when you change that its gonna get worse. Fox shocks are for offroad.. so gonna be stiffer than stock... etc. am i right on this ? plz chime in or correct me guys.

10. Jan 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Hoozel

Hoozel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    Now i dont mean to be a dick. But i just ordered some Icons up, and Down South told me they will ship the Shocks with no Nitrogen in them due to Shipping restrictions internationally. Do you think maybe your shocks dont have any Nitrogen in them? You have to get them filled when you order high end shocks out of the States.

11. Jan 27, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    B3AS7808

B3AS7808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4.0 4x4
    TRD S/C,URD 2.8 Stealth pulley, DTLT Headers,URD ypipe, URD rear O2 Sims, TRD catback, Powerstop rotors and pads, weathertech floor liners. RCD 4.5 lift. Nitto Trails 295/70R/17, KMC XD125's.

Products Discussed in

To Top