Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Water pump and timing belt

Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
DBAlaska is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
DBAlaska's Tacoma Gallery
Water pump and timing belt

When do you recommend changing out the water pump and timing belt on a 05 with a 4.0
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
The 2005 up Tacomas use a timing chain and can go well over 200k miles. The water pump I'd say around 90,000 miles unless you notice a pinkish coral around the water pump, in which case it is leaking.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBAlaska View Post
When do you recommend changing out the water pump and timing belt on a 05 with a 4.0
How long do the ignition points last?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Agree. The old belts were around 70-80K, the new timing chains are good for at least 200K.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post
How long do the ignition points last?
Maybe 20,000 miles with cleaning and adjustment as needed, but that's not important right now.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
Maybe 20,000 miles with cleaning and adjustment as needed, but that's not important right now.
What about the cap and rotor?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Badgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shedBadgtho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Badgtho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh. Ok. Phew.
What about the hand crank starter.... Do I need to grease it?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
I believe I used to do the points, cap, rotor, and the plugs at the same time, but that was some time ago. Wires too if they're looking bad.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBAlaska View Post
We're just messin with ya since you're new. Personally, I'd wait to replace the waterpump to 120K if there's no leak though you might want to change the serpentine belt.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #10

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgtho View Post
Oh. Ok. Phew.
What about the hand crank starter.... Do I need to grease it?
I might have owned a couple cars with points but I'm not THAT old!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Señor Member

Quote:
I might have owned a couple cars with points but I'm not THAT old!
My first car was a 74 bug that I had to adjust points on. Oldest car I've ever owned was a 68 camaro but replaced the distributor with an electronic one. I've never seen a the cranks. 1920's or older?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #12

P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My first car was a 74 bug that I had to adjust points on. Oldest car I've ever owned was a 68 camaro but replaced the distributor with an electronic one. I've never seen a the cranks. 1920's or older?
I think you're correct.

I had a 73 Olds Delta 98 with a 455 and a 67 Plymouth with a slant 6 that I know had points. Pretty sure there were one or two more. Everything after those had HEI or similar, but you were always cleaning or replacing caps, rotors, plugs, and wires. Also rebuilt way more carbs than I care to count. People complain about how modern cars are too complex to diagnose and work on but I sure like them compared to the old stuff.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Señor Member

Quote:
I think you're correct.

I had a 73 Olds Delta 98 with a 455 and a 67 Plymouth with a slant 6 that I know had points. Pretty sure there were one or two more. Everything after those had HEI or similar, but you were always cleaning or replacing caps, rotors, plugs, and wires. Also rebuilt way more carbs than I care to count. People complain about how modern cars are too complex to diagnose and work on but I sure like them compared to the old stuff.
I like my 2011 but I would prefer to not have all the electronics in it. I do like EFI but carbs on bikes. Next thing you know cars will park themselves! Ah! they already have that!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #14
DBAlaska is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
DBAlaska's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the "points"

I am so new my son tells me after I made my first post what DB stands for. Geezzzz -
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Points.......

Oh man I miss those days.....you can set your dwell w/ a book of matches LOL