Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What size synthetic winch line?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Largest Member.....huhuh
rmarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant future

EMS: Emergency room RN
Name: Roger
rmarqu2's Tacoma Gallery
What size synthetic winch line?

Hey guys, I know that bigger is better, but realistically.... can i get away with 5/16 AmSteel-Blue or should i go with 3/8? Price isn't being considered in this case!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
I've broken 5/16 on a 8000lb winch several times and switched to the 3/8 - no problem since
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
User 'n at
slvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JD
slvrbullet13's Tacoma Gallery
3/8
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
3/8
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
I went with 3/8. Just know that you can't wrap as long of a line on the winch as you can with 5/16. I think I was debating between 100' of 5/16 and 85' of 3/8 and went with the 3/8 for strength. I saved my original steel line to use as an extension if need be.

Edit: here's my thread where I asked a similar question. I was mistaken, though and for some reason thought I had a 10k lb winch...it's an 8k lb one.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...questions.html
Old 01-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
3/8 definitely
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods
SoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
SoutheastOverland's Tacoma Gallery
Either will work, but 3/8" gives you an extra safety margin. 5/16" Amsteel Blue, which is Dyneema SK75, has an average break of 13,700 and 3/8" is at 19,600 lbs. Take about 10% off of that to be safe to account for splicing. You need more strength in your line than your winch can pull to account for dynamic loading and line wear and degradation in strength. As close to a 2:1 safety factor (line is twice as strong as your winch) is nice to have but don't go below 1.5:1 which is right where 5/16" line puts you with an 8,000 lb winch.