Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sliders or Skids First?

View Poll Results: Rock Sliders or Skid Plates First?
Skid Plates 1st 37 23.27%
Rock Sliders 1st 122 76.73%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Skid's driveline is more expensive to repair and can leave you stranded if you break. A dent can be pulled and repaired .
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #22
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
So you're voting for no skids or sliders for most people? I agree.
No, sliders are necessary for any off roading IMO. Even if you don't encounter any rocks, there are trees, tall stumps, etc that can come up and bite your rockers. .
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #23
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders first hands down you can do a lot more trails with sliders and no skids then the other way around.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
No, sliders are necessary for any off roading IMO. Even if you don't encounter any rocks, there are trees, tall stumps, etc that can come up and bite your rockers. .
Sure could. Some of those woodland obstructions would also be capable of biting an oil pan or transfer case.

Like I said, sliders or skids are fine, but both are better. Just be careful of the weak spots. I sucked it up and bought both at the same time so I wouldn't have to make this choice.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #25
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most people will never really use aftermarket skids. Most people will never even see rocks. Like me, here I florida where the roughest thing I will see is a rotten stump.
Those "most people" will never go offroad so I will agree.

That said anyone going offroad will most likely push some limits. Even if you have no rocks in your region like myself I still use the hell out of my skids. The long wheel base on these trucks and horrible design means when you do high side you are leaving some major components out in the open.

When this was taken my truck had seen little to no rocks...note the damage to the skid's paint.

A proper IFS skid can also keep a good deal of muck out of your engine bay so I am hesitant to ever go wheeling when mine is removed.

Never would I attempt ice trails without a good set of skids

Quote:
So you're voting for no skids or sliders for most people? I agree.
The ones who never go offroad and push it, yes I would agree as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Sliders first hands down you can do a lot more trails with sliders and no skids then the other way around.
X2...

sliders can also get you out of some hairy situations with proper use of a hi-lift. I have gotten myself unstuck many times because of mine.

If I didn't have sliders I would of been screwed because I was by myself

jack up truck....put dirt and other shit under wheels.......and vroom vroom on my way again with a lesson learned

Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Great post, especially the bit about slider lift points. ^^^
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryanreynolds View Post
Recommendations on a company that makes good skides????
Lots of options, and they're fairly similar. Other than material selection, the biggest difference in price may come down to transportation costs. FWIW, I've been happy with my set of 1/4" aluminum BudBuilt skids and Famous Fabrication sliders.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #30
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sliders...

Although shitty, your truck has skids now...it doesn't have anything protecting the rockers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Sliders

Not only do they tighten up the frame if installed correctly but they provide ample door ding and auto accident protection during daily driving.

Skids do neither.

I have wheeled the crap out of my truck with out skids..... but not without sliders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCladTRD View Post
Sliders for sure. Your stock skids have the "potential" to save your underbelly from damage (don't count on it though). You have absolutely NOTHING protecting your rocker panel, so you're better off protecting what's unprotected first, then upgrading what's weakly protected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Skid plates 100% to protect the essentials.
Quote:
The OEM metal splash guards are nothing more than that, no matter if Toyota calls them skid plates. They provide no protection from anything more that flying gravel, and IMO, shouldn't be considered in a choice between sliders or skid plates.

Get sliders or skids first, but be mindful of your truck's weak spots. If you go off road a lot, you'll probably want both eventually. I split the difference with steel sliders and 1/4" aluminum skids. I'd never rock crawl with them, but the skids can take hard hits, and they weigh roughly half that of steel skids. It's worth considering that you can drive home with bashed up body parts. Knock a hole in your transfer case and you might become a hiker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Skid's driveline is more expensive to repair and can leave you stranded if you break. A dent can be pulled and repaired .
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Those "most people" will never go offroad so I will agree.

That said anyone going offroad will most likely push some limits. Even if you have no rocks in your region like myself I still use the hell out of my skids. The long wheel base on these trucks and horrible design means when you do high side you are leaving some major components out in the open.

When this was taken my truck had seen little to no rocks...note the damage to the skid's paint.

A proper IFS skid can also keep a good deal of muck out of your engine bay so I am hesitant to ever go wheeling when mine is removed.

Never would I attempt ice trails without a good set of skids

The ones who never go offroad and push it, yes I would agree as well

X2...

sliders can also get you out of some hairy situations with proper use of a hi-lift. I have gotten myself unstuck many times because of mine.

If I didn't have sliders I would of been screwed because I was by myself

jack up truck....put dirt and other shit under wheels.......and vroom vroom on my way again with a lesson learned

Good arguments for both.
I'm getting both on my Taco next week.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Good arguments for both.
I'm getting both on my Taco next week.
I agree.
Smart move.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #32
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lots of options, and they're fairly similar. Other than material selection, the biggest difference in price may come down to transportation costs. FWIW, I've been happy with my set of 1/4" aluminum BudBuilt skids and Famous Fabrication sliders.
Yah I've been looking at BudBuilt for a while now, did you go with aluminum to save weight?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Yah I've been looking at BudBuilt for a while now, did you go with aluminum to save weight?
Yes.

I also have no desire to do any serious crawling. So far, the transfer case skid may have saved me from a bad day in Utah.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #34
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Eric welded on my sliders & I picked up my skid plates Monday.

Skids will be installed later today.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #35
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Aluminum skids vs steel? Are there even aluminum skids?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #36
Longtime Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Aluminum skids vs steel? Are there even aluminum skids?
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

I also have no desire to do any serious crawling. So far, the transfer case skid may have saved me from a bad day in Utah.
It appears BudBuilt makes them. And I think Relentelss made some for someone on TW.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #37
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
LOL - I thought I read the whole thread. Looks like I need to close the other 12 tabs and focus on 1 thing at this point.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #38
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I still think skids before sliders, damage vs cost of repairs for both have a pretty big gap.. although I would just buy them both at the same time would be your best bet.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #39
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
Depends what you’re wheeling on a day to day... here in Canada most of the time a skid is better I don't worry when I plow through a snowbanks anymore... but if your rock wheeling then sliders is the way to go.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #40
Longtime Toyman

Eric welded on my sliders

I installed my skids yesterday.