Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sliders or Skids First?

View Poll Results: Rock Sliders or Skid Plates First?
Skid Plates 1st 37 23.27%
Rock Sliders 1st 122 76.73%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #41
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

4wheelin4banger what skids did you go with? Steel/aluminum? Manufacturer? Sorry if I missed it along the way here. By the way I've got a man crush on your truck. Something about the look that I really like. Those rims with the black flares and I'm a topper guy.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #42
SLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
SLACK3R's Tacoma Gallery
Sliders fo sho

any experienced 4 wheeler wont let big objects go straight under the center of the truck you put your tire on it, but once your tire rolls off of it, it is staring right at your rocker.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #43
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLACK3R View Post
Sliders fo sho

any experienced 4 wheeler wont let big objects go straight under the center of the truck you put your tire on it, but once your tire rolls off of it, it is staring right at your rocker.
Yeah.. until it falls the other way crushing your oil pan and maybe worse. Skids protect vital truck components, sliders protect cosmetics..
Old 02-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #44
SLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to beholdSLACK3R is a splendid one to behold

SLACK3R's Tacoma Gallery
It is going to boil down to what you do with your truck. maybe a new poll what have you damaged on the trail body or oil/tranny/transfer case
Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #45
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Yeah.. until it falls the other way crushing your oil pan and maybe worse. Skids protect vital truck components, sliders protect cosmetics..
Actually I should re-word this some how. Sliders do protect your wheels and tires which are vital to driving.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #46

SLACK3R's Tacoma Gallery
Also how much is a oil pan and tow vs. paint and body

Cant get rockers at the junk yard
Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #47
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If you're driving on terrain rough enough to do either, you'd better install both. At the least, replace the OEM "skids" with something real, and add to that as you see fit. The price of a tow for some of us would cover a big chunk of a truck's armor budget, let alone the cost of repairs. Sliders and _some_ skids seems the best balance of protection & budget for someone with tight funds.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #48
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I'd rather have some cosmetic damage where it's hard to notice, than a toasted engine/transmission/transfer case because I punched a hole in one of them underneath.

Real men have trail damage. Trail damage gets you bitches
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #49
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Oil pan is $28. Gasket is $8. New oil $30 max. Whats it take maybe 30 minutes to swap one out in the woods once you get the parts. If your wheeling hard and don't have AAA or a trail buddy in another rig well thats just stupied IMO.

You tell me what costs more?

Only a n00b would be smacking a oil pan against a rock when they knowingly had sliders.

If it's that rough of terrain both are required.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #50
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
4wheelin4banger what skids did you go with? Steel/aluminum? Manufacturer? Sorry if I missed it along the way here. By the way I've got a man crush on your truck. Something about the look that I really like. Those rims with the black flares and I'm a topper guy.
Skids are 3/16" steel by Relentless. And the sliders are Relentless also.
Thanks, but my Taco is already seeing someone.

The wife's car.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #51
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
For people taking fairly short trips from home to a 4WD drive area with friends, dealing with severe trail damage may not be such a big deal. For me, it could become a serious problem, especially if it resulted in a mechanical breakdown. The premise of this thread doesn't make sense for my situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Oil pan is $28. Gasket is $8. New oil $30 max. Whats it take maybe 30 minutes to swap one out in the woods once you get the parts. If your wheeling hard and don't have AAA or a trail buddy in another rig well thats just stupied IMO.

You tell me what costs more?

Only a n00b would be smacking a oil pan against a rock when they knowingly had sliders.
My friends and I drive several hundred miles for backpacking, slot canyons, etc. We take one vehicle to save money, and it's not very likely that we'll be traveling with another group on the trail. AAA doesn't cover the places we go, so we take a fair amount of tools and gear. On a trip like that, we don't look to "wheel hard", but shit happens, and I don't want to hike 50 miles to Escalante, UT and try to find an oil pan at the thrift store. I also don't want to bash the hell out of my truck because I wanted to save a few hundred dollars by skipping sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
If it's that rough of terrain both are required.
Exactly. When I read, "You don't need no stinkin' skids (or sliders)!", I always add "yet". It only takes one wrong move and the money saved by skipping skids or sliders will seem very small.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #52
05TacoDblCab is on a distinguished road
Army: retired
05TacoDblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I bought sliders first. I figured I would try not to drive over things that I needed skids and instead would skirt things with sliders. Being able to open the doors after you get home is always a good thing. I need to get a real lift first then that's when I plan on buying skids.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #53
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Happy I did do skids first. Was driving through a muddy drainage thingy and hit a rock on the other side that i couldnt see..put some good scratches in the steel skid..luckily i had already upgraded it
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #55
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTRD View Post
so quick question. im on the fence of either getting sliders or n fab nerf bars. do they both protect the sides? and im sure u can use the sliders as a step anyway....

skip the nerf bars, and just get your sliders custom made at a 0 degree pitch instead of up, problem solved

remember that nerf bars will actually cause more damage if the contact is harder

OP its best to get skids first IMO

like spoonman said would you rather pay 2 or 3 thousand in drivetrain repairs or body damage, atleast you can still drive the truck while the body is messed up
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #56
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTRD View Post
so quick question. im on the fence of either getting sliders or n fab nerf bars. do they both protect the sides? and im sure u can use the sliders as a step anyway....
Nerf bars will not protect your truck from anything more then a shopping cart or a car door. And a hard enough hit from one of those will dent the .065 wall tube the Nfabs are made of.

If your not taking your truck off road the nerf bars are fine.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #57
TicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tico
TicoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
skip the nerf bars, and just get your sliders custom made at a 0 degree pitch instead of up, problem solved

remember that nerf bars will actually cause more damage if the contact is harder

OP its best to get skids first IMO

like spoonman said would you rather pay 2 or 3 thousand in drivetrain repairs or body damage, atleast you can still drive the truck while the body is messed up
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Nerf bars will not protect your truck from anything more then a shopping cart or a car door. And a hard enough hit from one of those will dent the .065 wall tube the Nfabs are made of.

If your not taking your truck off road the nerf bars are fine.
thanks guys.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #58
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sliders fo sho

Maybe you've never actually wheeled before.

Your argument is complete bogus there buddy. KOH drivers are experienced. Do you see them skipping skid plates? Not a fucking chance.