1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front popping after alignment/pot hole.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by royalkangaroo, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Jan 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    royalkangaroo

royalkangaroo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC TRD Off Road
    Brought my truck in this afternoon for an alignment and they got it within spec. They said everything looked decent mechanically (just bought it a couple weeks ago) but it was way out of whack. The adjustment bolts are also getting pretty rusty.

Anyway, pulled out of the shop and whacked a good pot hole at about 25 mph. Heard a smack, but nothing unusual. (Hit my fair share of potholes here in Vermont)

Truck drove so much better due to the alignment, however I noticed a loud popping noise (from the front right-- pothole side) pulling into a parking spot when I turned the wheel far left.

Tried it a couple times, and it pops louder if there's more down-force on the front side. i.e. pulling into a spot sloped forward or at a faster speed. Doesn't pop just turning the wheel left/right while sitting still.

Looked briefly in the wheel well and couldn't see anything out of place or unusual. Just fed up and annoyed right now so I figured out reach out for some advice.

2. Jan 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    pra4sno

pra4sno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR MT. Previously 2013 DCSB SR5
    Maybe someone else will chime in on this, but it sounds like a CV joint binding.

If your alignment was way out of wack, and by fixing camber they added to the angle of the CV joint, it could bind. Usually a CV that is at an extreme angle, but not TOO extreme to bind all of the time, will "pop" (bind) when it is subjected to a turn, or change in geometry when the suspension flexes.

Do you have a lift that would increase the driveline angles?

3. Jan 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Post some more info about your truck. I remember you have another thread and your truck has a spacer lift correct?

4. Jan 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Since you just got the alignment done, the tech may not have tightened those lower control arm nuts n bolts up tight enough. They need to be at 100ftlbs, or the bushings will make popping noises. Get those torqued to spec, and if after that, you still hear the popping noise, then it may either be your CV or a ball joint popping. Good luck

5. Jan 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

X2.....

and check to make sure the alignment shop didn't crush your cam tabs during the alignment.

this is good
    http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/boydmiller/Truck/021-2.jpg

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz51/boydmiller/IFS BS/022_zps9fb860b5.jpg

this is bad
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT1753.JPG

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/PICT1751.JPG

6. Jan 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This

Same thing happened on my truck

7. Jan 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    royalkangaroo

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC TRD Off Road
    Sorry, I've got a 2009 AC OR with what I believe is a 2" coil spacer in the front and a rear 1.5" AAL.

I just took a look at the cam tabs and they're good.

I'm going to call the shop tomorrow, have them look at it again and double check the torque on the bolts.

Would a 2" front coil spacer change the angle enough for CVs to bind? The popping also sounds like its only coming from the right side.

I appreciate the help, fellas.

8. Jan 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    check sway bar endlinks, when they get ready to blow a bushing a pothole will do it

9. Jan 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM
    royalkangaroo

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC TRD Off Road
    So I brought the truck back in today. The mechanic pointed out that the stops on my wheel hubs look like the could've caused the popping at full lock. He put a layer of grease on them.

I also had him re-torque the bolts on the LCAs.

I personally believe the noise was coming from the LCA bushings, but nonetheless, I couldn't make it pop at full lock this afternoon. Problem solved.

He also said my bushings seem to be pretty seized when he aligned it. He recommended replacing them within the next year. Any idea how much it'll run me to replace the LCA bushings?

10. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

if the cam tabs are seized to the bushings........sorry to say this but the alignment won't stay aligned. As the LCA moves it will move the alignment if truly seized. See here for LCA cam replacement and within that is a link to the bushings. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...-cam-replacement-2005-tacoma.html#post5088138

11. Jan 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    royalkangaroo

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC TRD Off Road
    Bummer, he said the front LCA cam hardware is very stiff, but the back hardware is fine.

12. Jan 26, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Probably seized to the sleeves inside the bushings

13. Jan 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    royalkangaroo

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC TRD Off Road
    Just popped again this evening. Time to get the bushings replaced?

Products Discussed in

To Top