1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New member from Mountain View, CA buying first tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sb192, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Jan 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    sb192

sb192 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Mountain View, CA
    I'm looking to buy a new 2013 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport shortbed

How much is a good price to pay for this?
    Anyone from the area have any experience with the dealerships around here?
    Is there anything that the dealer is going to try to sell me that I definitely shouldn't get?
    Are there any extras that I should buy?
    Anything else I should know beforehand?

Thanks for the help

2. Jan 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Welcome to the forum :burnrubber:

3. Jan 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    Welcome from the South Bay!

4. Jan 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Fractured

Fractured FPS-a-holic

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    NOR*Cal
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB 4x4
    TRD wheels, TRD cat back exhaust, ScanGauge 2, Debadged, Avid sliders, UWS bed box w/automatic LED light, Led Interior/Reverse/Lic. Plate lights, Yellow Fogs, Flyzeye Light, Color matched grill, Rearview mirror relocate bracket, Power Sliding rear window, Plasti-dipped bumper/"T" emblem
    I got mine at stevens creek toyota in san jose.

The price really depends on what options you want.

They will try to sell you an extended warranty, and a bunch of other stuff. Buy the extended warranty if you are not a handy guy, pass on the rest of the stuff.

There is plenty of extras you will want, just don't get it from the dealership.

5. Jan 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    I bought mine at Piercey. They have been amazing! (at least this is my experience). I gave up on Capitol Toyota...They know nothing about the trucks, they don't care about you.

How much are you going to be off roading? The e-locker with the Off Road is great! If you would use them. Do you already buy the sport?

The only thing I wish I had paid extra for is leather. I miss the leather. Mine wasn't an option from dealer. It was a third party. Not sure if they offer it in 2013. Good luck

6. Jan 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    cameronlane

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    I got mine from Piercey too. They were helpful and willing to give a good price.

7. Jan 24, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    sb192

sb192 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Mountain View, CA
    Good to hear Piercey has good service, I was considering them.

I won't be doing much off-roading, but I haven't bought anything yet. I do go to Tahoe fairly often, so the 4WD will get some use

8. Jan 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    sb192

sb192 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Mountain View, CA
    So the MSRP is about $32,300. What is a reasonable price to expect to pay? I do want to get the extended warranty as well. Is there room to negotiate with the dealership?

Thanks

9. Jan 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Always room. Know exactly what you want to pay based on what things like kbb.com state.

10. Jan 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM
    puckplayer

puckplayer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    In the market!
    Check out truecar.com to get a decent idea of what people in your area (and nationally) are paying. You can't add on things like packages, but it'll at least give you an idea of what to expect.

11. Jan 26, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    If you really think you need the extended warranty that price is negotiable also. The last vehicle I bought the extened warranty price was dropped fromm 1200 to 800 to 400 simply by refusing. I personally would not buy the extended warranty. I have 85K miles on my with no problems that weren't covered by the original Toyota warranty. Read the fine print of the extended warranty, whats the deductable, exactly what is and is not covered, most are not bumper to bumper cover only major items that are not likely to fail and are already covered by Toyota for 5 yrs.
    Those details are usually glossed over by the seller. If you need the security put the price of the extended warranty away in a savings account, keep your hands off and it will be there when your ready to trade for a new Tacoma. Also you will get dozens of extended warranty offers in the mail over a period of years, if in the extremely rare instance that you do get the lemon you'll have plenty of chances to extend the warranty.

Don't buy the fabric protection, it's just a can of Scotch guard same as you can buy and apply.

Don't buy the paint protection or any other dealer installed items. My last purchase had a $400 dealer installed appearance add on which consisted of tape stripes on the belt line and plastic door and wheel well strips, hardly worth $100 parts and labor. Maybe I paid for it but it wasn't brought up as an extra charge before or after the price was agreed upon.

Edmunds.com is another pricing resource that will give you an idea what others in your area are paying for the particular vehicle with the options you want. They also have reviews of sales experiences of people who bought from dealerships near you.

And you've got a good start on research by coming to Tacoma World

Leave emotions out of the process, some sales people want you to think they're your buddy and are on your side against dealership.

12. Jan 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    cooktaco

cooktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl. cab TRD 4x4
    Weahertecs, Bed met, Snugtop, Avid sliders, TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's @1.75,
    In the bay area you have a lot of dealership choices so that should help you in negotiations. I figured out exactly what I wanted and sent out internet quote requests to about 20 dealerhsips. You will get 7-8 real price quotes and the rest are bullshit non-quotes or requests for more information etc. Use the decent 7-8 internet quotes as your starting point for negotiations. I actually went into the dealership with a folder tabbed out with the quotes. Doing it this way you have a really good idea what you should pay before going into the dealership. Much easier not to get lost in the BS of the car buying process this way.

+1 on the no dealer add-ons like paint or fabric protection. Complete theft.

Also good advice on negotiating the extended warranty. Search TW and there are a couple dealerships that will sell you the warranty over the internet at a substantially better price than the dealer. OK if you want to wrap it into the purchase but know what price you should pay before going in. Good luck.

13. Jan 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Welcome from the East Bay!

I used a free auto broker Cars by Phone. I think overall I paid $200 over invoice. They did all the negotiating and finding the exact model and color I wanted. They even delivered the truck free to my home. All I did was sign paperwork and give a check for the down payment.

My truck's MSRP was around $30k, I ended up paying $29.6k OTD and got 3% financing

14. Jan 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd

Piercey Toyota's service & repair dept has been great to me, I would buy from them if I didn't buy from the broker that I use.

btw, before you buy, test drive the hell out of the specific one you want, especially for drive line vibrations on the 2012 and 2013. Here's why:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/99531-steering-wheel-shake-28.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/254438-driveline-vibration-tsb-out-11.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/187518-2012-stock-tacoma-driveline-vibration.html

Would I buy again? Not currently, but I hear the 2014's will be improved in several ways.

15. Jan 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    nat

nat Well-Known Member

Member:
    South San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC SB Tacoma
    Bestop, MP3 Aux Input
    I bought mine used from Stevens Creek Toyota. I typically do all my own mechanic work so I have no experience with their service department.

16. Jan 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    croyeti

croyeti Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    '12 Sport Dbl
    welcome from the south bay! I went to stevens creek but i knew more than the salesman...which from what i hear is typical from all dealerships. But it threw me off and I ended up not buying from them. I take my 12 to piercy. Test drive and shop around. mods are for after purchase and after lurking on TW build write ups for awhile, like me =)

17. Feb 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    sb192

sb192 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Mountain View, CA
    Got my truck. Ended up going to Toyota Sunnyvale.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

559837_4872079994212_1858237739_n_zps86c_f3e7c97235084972f7d68b677087f6e4098b5361.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  18. Feb 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    cameronlane

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    cool truck :cheers:

19. Feb 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    Jux

Jux :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 SW DCSB TRD OR
    Nice truck man, congrats!

20. Feb 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    JimBCa

JimBCa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bay Area California
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Build Duratrac 265/75R16 Load rated E BAMF Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Front bumper and skid plates (3) Pro Runner front and rear shocks,Add-A-Leaf springs ATO (Armor Tech Offroad) hilift mounts, Famous Fabrication cb antenna/flag mount CoverKing Tactical seat covers, Flyzeye dash-light ARE Shell, backup light mod SumoSprings and Stops
    Bought mine from Sunnyvale Toyota - Stan was a big help as I not purchased a new vehicle since '95 and they have changed a bit. He spent lots of time explaining the features and choices. the price I paid was reasonable and didn't buy any of the add ons such as extended stuff, Found you can get all of that later, and there are some great pointers on this forum to some dealers that will deal on extended service and such.

Products Discussed in

To Top