Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Off-Road vs. TRD Sport

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
NickM is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Nick
NickM's Tacoma Gallery
OP, I have a 2011 DCSB SR5 non trd. I love it. I have recently put bigger tires on it. all of my offroading is with the standard 4x4 - non trd. I never even aired my tires down and i've been as deep as my rear diff. If it is money, buy the SR5. Looks, buy the TRD sport, TRD OFF for best stock offroading. BTW the bigger tires (265/75/16) instead of my stock (245/75/16) eat sand way better. nice traction with them. good luck. Also your cool hood scoop deal is no good. it doesnt even function. just cosmetic.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
NickM is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Nick
NickM's Tacoma Gallery
One more thing, DO A THOROUGH TEST DRIVE! I had lots of "little problems" with mine. All fixed now. Make sure the Driveline doesnt shake or rattle.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
I'm right where you are. Well, Oley actually. That's crazy.
Ah gotcha. I'm out towards Sinking Spring. And coincidentally also go to Delaware frequently.

My Sport has been great in the snow and in what sand its been in. Granted I don't have the stock tires on they weren't so great I'd definitely look into a tire upgrade regardless of what model you go with. I liked the OR but I preferred the sport cosmetically. My truck sees some trails here and there and I figured if I ever get into serious off reading I could just get an ARB locker vs. the cosmetic stuff I knew I would have changed regardless.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #24
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I drove both & recently purchased a 13 DC OR
My last was a 2006 SR5 model DC SB. They did the TSB (back then they upgraded to blistein shocks & 4 leaf pak).
That was a great truck in snow & took me all over the mountains
(granted not "wheeling") but I went in all the forests...that little truck was awesome & less expensive.
now in 2013...

At first I thought I wanted the Sport.
I am short & didn't really like the skewp.
It was hard for me to see over & glared at times though that could have been the color (it was white & I didn't want white anyway..)
I cannot tell you how many trucks I drove, some did vibe more than others.
I almost pull the trigger on a Sport model in the color choice I wanted (MGM) but it vibed & then I noticed it did not have the factory tow pkg.
The sales guy was like I do not notice any vibes & didn't pick up on the missing tow pkg either he though it was standard on all models.
Anyway, finally after much debate, driving models & actually driving the truck I bought which was the OR I love it & happy with my decision.
It does have a little vibe when I stomp on it
(my last truck was a tundra)
I do not remember my 06 doing this so oh well..
good luck with your decision!!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
andyman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you very much everyone! I gotta admit, I didn't expect to get this many replies in a single day. I've belonged to other forums (I drive a VW now and belong to one in particular) and sometimes the clientele there can be a little rough on a newcomer. All the advice and warm welcome are definitely a huge help. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Thank you very much everyone! I gotta admit, I didn't expect to get this many replies in a single day. I've belonged to other forums (I drive a VW now and belong to one in particular) and sometimes the clientele there can be a little rough on a newcomer. All the advice and warm welcome are definitely a huge help. Thank you!
I see you've heard of hitting a crub and a fents. This ain't the Vortex, yo!

Welcome to TW, and good luck with your decision.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
mynameistory has a spectacular aura aboutmynameistory has a spectacular aura about
Name: Tory
mynameistory's Tacoma Gallery
I think swapping on a skewped hood would be a lot easier than installing an air locker, if that's what puts gravy on your biscuit. And if you're looking for full functionality, do the locker mod. I plan on doing it so my snow donuts are more awesome.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
andyman is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
andyman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I see you've heard of hitting a crub and a fents. This ain't the Vortex, yo!

Welcome to TW, and good luck with your decision.
Hahaha I see you've heard of Vortex. Its an interesting place. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #30
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistory View Post
I think swapping on a skewped hood would be a lot easier than installing an air locker, if that's what puts gravy on your biscuit. And if you're looking for full functionality, do the locker mod. I plan on doing it so my snow donuts are more awesome.
finding one to swap would be much tougher imo

no one ever regrets getting the skewp!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mike
fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
I was just driving in some snow today and thought about how much more usefull a limited slip would be compared to the locker I already have.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Op the base 4x4 would suffice with what you intend to do. Most stock 4x4s are very capable without lockers, honestly in my OR iv only locked up once and that was just to make sure it actually worked. I think the deciding factors would be cost, comfort (different seats, suspension between the models), and future usability (do you want the option to do harder trails that would justify a locker?)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
My boys need a house.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtaco View Post
Op the base 4x4 would suffice with what you intend to do. Most stock 4x4s are very capable without lockers, honestly in my OR iv only locked up once and that was just to make sure it actually worked. I think the deciding factors would be cost, comfort (different seats, suspension between the models), and future usability (do you want the option to do harder trails that would justify a locker?)
I'd suggest cycling the e-locker a few times a month (along with the transfer case) to keep the actuators happy. Plenty of threads start with a story about not having used the locker/4H/4L in a long time, getting stuck, and having the truck flash & beep while nothing worked.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #34
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
go with the offroad, since there is no difference in the SR5/Sport after 2009...
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #35
P9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to beholdP9HST2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
P9HST2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
no one ever regrets getting the skewp!
I've heard some guys complain about the glare from it. It can reflect the Sun back into the cab I think, where the regular hood does not.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #36
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I'd suggest cycling the e-locker a few times a month (along with the transfer case) to keep the actuators happy. Plenty of threads start with a story about not having used the locker/4H/4L in a long time, getting stuck, and having the truck flash & beep while nothing worked.
That's a good point, thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #37
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P9HST2 View Post
I've heard some guys complain about the glare from it. It can reflect the Sun back into the cab I think, where the regular hood does not.
Yea. I've never personally had an issue with it myself though. I always have polarized sunglasses on though when the sun is out.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
osteopathic is on a distinguished road
osteopathic's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same decision to make and after researching both models, the sport fit my needs the best. Its a great pickup.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by osteopathic View Post
I had the same decision to make and after researching both models, the sport fit my needs the best. Its a great pickup.

nice SR5!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #40
My boys need a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
Yea. I've never personally had an issue with it myself though. I always have polarized sunglasses on though when the sun is out.
I call BS.
I saw The Hobbit.
Trolls can't handle sunlight.